Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 26th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Onboard Eurodam NOW! - ask questions here.

I am flying out tomorrow to attend the naming ceremony for the Eurodam - Holland America;s newest ship. If you have any questions about her over the next seven days, please post them here!

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Beginner

Default So what do you think?!

I'm actually on as well. Would love to hear what you think of the ship! Does it feel "different" to you?

Oh, and were you able to figure out how to get the shower to work?? (You'll know what I mean when you try it ... either my cabin is missing a sign, or it's a logic puzzle that my jet-lagged brain barely grasped.)

I'll keep an eye out for you -- maybe we can grab a drink. =)
Old June 28th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Paul, I want your job 8) 8) 8) 8)

feel free to send me on the Westerdam the week of Nov 2nd for the Dave Koz Smooth Jazz Cruise and I will do a daily blog and interview all the great Jazz artist for the CM board

does the Eurodam have a hydrotherapy pool ?
Old June 28th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I will let you know about the shower soon, so far, all I have had time for is a nap. My flight from PHX was good, but I only had a 15 mionute stoper in Philly and I had to run 1 mile (at least).

Surpringly, the plane to London was only half full (peak season).

PBnJ... Identify yourself! send me a PM or something. We'll meet up ;-)

More later, there is a press conference with Micky Arison in 45 minutes.

Ciao

Old June 29th, 2008, 04:00 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I figured out the shower, and got my head soaked with cold water from the back and down my neck & back in the process (bbrrrrr).

The trick is the water pressure knob goes towards you for the bath, and away from you for the shower.

The ship is beautiful, an dinner in the Asian Tamarind last night was incredibly good. I am usually ambivalent about most Asian cuisine, but even the sushi has that special something where you said , mmm mm good."

Just the right spices and a very tasty ginger. I also had a steak with horseradish that was just delicious. We were talking about how much better the food is than the typical European restaurant, which are expensive!

Byu the way, HAL i snow employing Indonesian WOMEN for waitresses, and they are so beautiful. They are Asian, but much different from typical Chinese or Japanese (these ladies are beautiful, too, don't get me wrong).

But the Indonesian ladies are tall and thin, with dark skin and great big espressive brown eyes. Truly striking.

I ran into Pat Neidhart of Cruises-n-more last night. It is funny when you fionally meet in person someone you have "known" online for almost 10 years.

Old June 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can see on the webcam the ship has arrived in Rotterdam just a short while ago.
http://www.virtualvisit.nl/webcam/index.htm

Looking forward to board on Wednesday and sail during the prelude cruise to Copenhagen....!!!
Old June 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I will still be onboard - look me up.

B y the way, I think this is the nicest HAL ship yet. They have taken care of the niggly things that bothered me (small things) on the Vista class.

The movie theater is back (very cool), with the popcorn machine.

The Internet access has been copmpletely reveised (it was too slow on Westerdam before - awful, Im sorry to say), but it has now been fixed on that ship and this one with a new agreement with Microsoft (Seattle connection, no doubt). The quadrupled the bandwidth and it is bow rto stern wireless. They have classes that are ALL FREE - no charges for any of them.

The main theater is beautiful, much better sight-lines - they got rid og the glass &brass rails that were right in the way on the balcony. They also have theater-style seats instead of benches. Very nice.

As I said, the food is wonderful. The outside hamburgers now come with extra-crispy fries served Belgian-style in a paper cone. Hot, crispy & yummy.

I think Holland America has finally hit its stride to be the best it can be.

Also, the crew is very nice. I haven't been on a ship this upbeat in a long time. Kind of a lot of American crew-people. The computer center is a gal from Seattle, and I met a cute photgrapher, also American.

Also, the Indonesian ladies are so pretty....

... having a good time. Wish you were here! Pictures coming soon.

Old June 29th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Beginner

Paul - I'll see you at Pinnacle tonight. I'll also try to figure out this private message thing....

So will those pictures include things OTHER than the pretty Tamarind servers?
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Yeoman

We are sailing on Eurodam's first cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. I can't find on their website (even after booking) how much the poolside cabanas are going to cost per day. Can they be pre-booked? For the length of the cruise?
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old June 29th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Yeoman

What category cabin are you in? I booked a Large Inside (Catagory I) They are supposed to be 40 sq ft larger than the standard rooms. Let me know if you happen to get a peek at one of these.
Carnival Legend
HAL Eurodam
Caribbean Princess

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/s...avelin&match=1
http://www.igougo.com/profile/profil...emberID=574103
http://picasaweb.google.com/beentravelin
Old June 29th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I am not much help to you. I only saw the smaller inside, not a bigger one. My balcony cabin is very roomy. I don't know the prices on Cabanas either ($25?) Sorry. Let me look for my notes. You get champagne and chocoloate strawberries, though.

So, PBnJ, you know I am eating in Pinnacle tonight. How did you know that?

The pics are coming up now at:
http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=4758

This is the gallery URL... I have about 77 keeper pics so far.

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just saw your pictures, they are great.
Cannot wait till it will be Wednesday!
Maybe we will meet during those few days to Copenhagen.
I am sure we will make lots and lots of photos too.
Old June 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

sounds good, this is a very pretty ship,a nd the staff is very proud of her as well. You will enjoy it. It is late here, I must run.

I got this information, though. The cabanas are $30 per day. Happy sunning!

Old June 30th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Administrator
Admiral

We ate in The Pinaccle Grill lasy night. It was verty good, but I think I preferred the Tamarind. Buty we also had a pre-set menu, not much variety. (this is not therevenue cruise yet, that starts after the christening.

We were inundated with Dutch people,thousands of them, from Rotterdam and elsewhere, mostly young. It was quite a party !

Old July 1st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default new pictures - naming ceremony

I have new pics from the naming ceremony, it went off without a hitch, with the queen Beatrix doing a splendid job - here they are:

and

and

Old July 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Paul,

I really am enjoying your reports. I feel that I am onboard. I'm glad they brought back the movie theater and the popcorn. It was a feature I loved on the Statendam and one that is a nice diversion on a longer cruise.

Keep the reports coming.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 2nd, 2008, 02:05 AM
Administrator
Admiral

AFTER THE NAMING CEREMONY

The party kept going with people from all over, but mostly local Dutch from Rotterdam, filling the ship and drinking champagne until dinnertime. Afer dinner, we were treated to an excellent fireworks show.

I have more pictures to uploaed in the photogallery:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=4758

and I have a great video of the champagne breaking, as soon as I can get to a higher speed upload. It is over 100 MB.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM
Admiral

Paul - you made a Boo Boo

That picture you have labelled, Micky, his wife, Lynne (VP Sales), Queen is wrong.

The lady beside Micky's wife, Madeleine, is Pam Kern van Donselaar, the Captains wife........she's the gal who has been taking a lot of the Blog photos. Stein's wife's name is Linda and she was on the other side of the Queen beside Stein. I don't know who Lynne (VP Sales is). She may have been in another picture.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank you, I didn't know, but I thought it was maybe Lynn Torrent, who replaced Vicki Freed. It looked just like her. Thank you.

Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Admiral

You're welcome!

Have a great time on the beautiful EURODAM.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Captain

Great photos........ Watching the streaming video was fabulous. I enjoyed it live.

To avoid confusion, the cabin photo labled 'concierge suite' is Category 'SA or SB' Deluxe Veranda Suite. The category "SC" is different. Those cabins, along with "PS" are the only ones which have access to Neptune Lounge and Concierge services in Neptune.
Old July 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thank YOU. I just ate in the excellent Pinnacle Grill. Great as ever. Their new special is Lobster macaroni & cheese... I don't know how good it is, but it is the chef's special and they say it is great.

I stuck to the filet mignon and it was so tender. The bottle of wine I was recommended was $95 - should have checked the price before I said yes... oh well. At least there is plenty left over.

Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Ditto on the movies and popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
Paul,

I really am enjoying your reports. I feel that I am onboard. I'm glad they brought back the movie theater and the popcorn. It was a feature I loved on the Statendam and one that is a nice diversion on a longer cruise.

Keep the reports coming.

Take care,
Mike
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Last night we sailed to Hamburg. What an exciting city. As a Beatles fan I had to take the subway to the Reeperbahn. Lets just say it mnakes the Amsyerdam Red Light district look like Snow Whites Castle in Disneyland. What those poor naive lads of 20 must have encountered in 1962 here!

Old July 4th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Captain

How was the Gala the night of the Dedication?
From what I have heard it was formal.
Was it wonderful?
Old July 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Administrator
Admiral

It was formal, and the celebration was very good in itself. From 6:00 to 8:00 pm not much happened except a lot of toasting in small groups of people, no official ceremonies. I am sure Micky and Stein had the the Queen and her entourage someplacespecial and they visited.
The rest of us wandered the ship, I stated my article.

Then we had dinner in the main dining room. At night came a huge deck party with dancing capped by fireworks courtesy of the city of Rotterdam.

Yes, it was formal. It was fun.

Old July 5th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Beginner

Hi Paul,

Great review and pictures - thank you! I do want to correct one thing. The photo you have incorrectly labeled "Concierge suite" is actually a category SS or SY suite, which is quite a bit smaller than the SA, SB, or SC, and does not come with concierge privileges as do the Deluxe Suites, as has been pointed out by a previous poster. The suite you have pictured has the same double bathroom as the "concierge suite" (Deluxe) and it is called "suite" (it's actually called "Superior Suite") but it doesn not have Neptune Lounge privileges, has a queen bed as opposed to the King in the Deluxe suites, and also lacks much of the storage and dressing room area.

I'm planning on boarding Eurodam this winter for a spin around the Caribbean and I'm so excited! Thanks so much for your report!

Moriah
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

sorrry about the confusion on the suites. When I write these things I often don't have time to consult a brochure, espcially while I am online.

Old July 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Beginner

Are you kidding? No apology necessary! (especially since after looking twice and 3 times I'm only 75% sure I'm even right about the pictures not being deluxe suites. .
. but enough about that!) I am SO enjoying living vicariously through your posts! We just booked the Eurodam for December 6 Eastern Caribbean and I am beyond excited!! (I keep forgetting I'm also going to Alaska on Westerdam next week!!! That's how entranced I am with the Eurodam!) Thank you so much for this thread and keep enjoying!!
Moriah