Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Default Wine card / Wine by glass / Bottle wine ? What best?

Hi,

Does anybody knows what is "best" (sort of speak) in terms of alchool option?

Is it better to go for the "20 pours wine card", get wine by glass or buy a bottle of wine?

Are they almost come the same in term of cost or one is better option?

I am mostly looking to get one drink during dinner and 2 glass wine during supper. 1st time cruiser...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
Admiral

well, I think I read somewhere, the wine card may or is being discontinued, but don't hold me to that. The best is probably to bring your own on board and pay the $15 corkage fee, but for some, bringing it on board isn't an option as you have to fly to your embarkation port. We usually arrive a day early and stop at a wine shop before boarding the ship. We then have bottles to take to the table or to have in our cabin. the second option is to buy it by the bottle at dinner.

Hope this helps a little.

Nita
Old February 2nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
Familiar Face

What I did two years ago on a cruise to Alaska on HAL is to buy a bottle of wine one night, and they let you keep it (what you don't finish) for the second night. Some nights my husband and I only wanted one glass each so it was great to have them cork it and hold it until the next night. We had set dining times (not free style) so that might have made a difference.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatlast
What I did two years ago on a cruise to Alaska on HAL is to buy a bottle of wine one night, and they let you keep it (what you don't finish) for the second night. Some nights my husband and I only wanted one glass each so it was great to have them cork it and hold it until the next night. We had set dining times (not free style) so that might have made a difference.
you can have them save the bottles regardless of what type of dining you have..

NIta
Old February 2nd, 2009, 09:44 PM
Beginner

IMO with HAl you get the best of both worlds - you can bring wine on the hsip with you from the ports and drink it in your room and then they offer you several options for wine with your meals. On our first cruise with HAL we brought a couple of bottles with us and got a wine card which we shared for meal time. When we were finished with the first card, we decided if we wanted another and could use it brfore the end of the trip. ON the next HAL we got one wine card and one mixed drink card and again we shared them. It was a longer trip and we used both as well as the glass of wine on our veranda as sailed away. The best part is that you do not have to do it immediately - you can kind of watch when you get on and ask aabout prices and then make a decision. I thought that all had to be decided up front so was a bit frustrated. Once we embarked we found endless opportunites to get a card - so don't worry about it. Once you are on - ask questions about the wine available on the card and by the bottle and you can even opt to buy your own ashore and bring it to the table but be mindful that there is a cork fee for that which IMO is a bit high.
Enjoy!
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatlast
you can have them save the bottles regardless of what type of dining you have..

NIta :wink:
We do the same as homeatlast. We always choose early fixed dining and have the wine steward serve our wine as soon as we sit down, since we like it before we eat, not during the meal. We do this every cruise and it works great for us.

(As you can see, I don't know how to post quotes)
2006 W. Caribbean
2006 Alaska
2007 E. Caribbean
2007 N. Atlantic
2008 Alaska
2008 S. America
2009 Grand Voyage
2009 Canada
2010 N. Atlantic
2011 Grand Voyage
2012 Alaska
2013 Hawaii - S. Pacific
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcirish
IMO with HAl you get the best of both worlds - you can bring wine on the hsip with you from the ports and drink it in your room and then they offer you several options for wine with your meals. On our first cruise with HAL we brought a couple of bottles with us and got a wine card which we shared for meal time. When we were finished with the first card, we decided if we wanted another and could use it brfore the end of the trip. ON the next HAL we got one wine card and one mixed drink card and again we shared them. It was a longer trip and we used both as well as the glass of wine on our veranda as sailed away. The best part is that you do not have to do it immediately - you can kind of watch when you get on and ask aabout prices and then make a decision. I thought that all had to be decided up front so was a bit frustrated. Once we embarked we found endless opportunites to get a card - so don't worry about it. Once you are on - ask questions about the wine available on the card and by the bottle and you can even opt to buy your own ashore and bring it to the table but be mindful that there is a cork fee for that which IMO is a bit high.
Enjoy!
the $15 corkage fee is high but standard. I think I read celebrity now charges $20.00. The thing about bringing your wine on, you can consume it in your cabin. We love to have a drink or two before dinner or in the afternoon when we are relaxing..

Nita
Old February 3rd, 2009, 12:28 PM
Familiar Face

As Nita said, the corkage is standard. Not too high in my opinion.

If you like really good wine, it is actually a bargain. I know the wine we bring on with us (we have done it on HAL & NCL) would be considered their very expensive wine at $90+ a bottle. We paid in the neighbourhood of $30-60 on land, so with the corkage, a good deal. If you drink inexpensive wine $10-15 a bottle, it may not be worthwhile. Ships have a reasonable selection, but not great. They can't store wines properly on a ship. You will see some expensive plonk, but they may sell very, very few bottles in a year.

We have also bought the wine package, which was a reasonable deal for quite drinkable wines.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The corkage fee is standard. Carnival is $10 and some cruise lines charge as much as $25.

But anything you drink in your cabin does not have a corkage fee (just remember to bring a corkscrew).

It is definitely worthwhile to bring a couple of bottles onboard, and to buy them in port.
Old February 4th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
The corkage fee is standard. Carnival is $10 and some cruise lines charge as much as $25.

But anything you drink in your cabin does not have a corkage fee (just remember to bring a corkscrew).

It is definitely worthwhile to bring a couple of bottles onboard, and to buy them in port.
wow Paul I didnt know some were up to $25. The wine I drink certainly wouldn't be worth a $25 corkage fee. Thanks for the info.

Nita
Old February 15th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcirish
Enjoy!
the $15 corkage fee is high but standard. I think I read celebrity now charges $20.00. The thing about bringing your wine on, you can consume it in your cabin. We love to have a drink or two before dinner or in the afternoon when we are relaxing..

Nita

Actually, the corkage fee with X is $25 and has been for quite some time!
Old February 16th, 2009, 11:53 AM
First Mate

mathieu, paul's advice is right on. you can buy wine in port and bring in on board; just remember to pack a cork screw in your CHECKED luggage; your room steward should provide you with an ice bucket to cool the wine if you need to. i do this, and i just order a glass of wine at dinner. i get your distinction between dinner and supper; those in the south would get this, too. but i still advise to forget the wine cards and the expense of the first day, having had to fly. order a wine package from room service. then, buy on shore, bring it home, open with the cork screw you have taken, and enjoy. and just order by the glass a supper or dinner time. doug
Old February 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Passenger

I've been sailing on RCCL lately and they confiscate any alcohol purchased on shore and hold it until the end of the cruise. Hal allows you to buy alchohol and shore and keep it in your room?

Free Cruise Clocks
Old February 17th, 2009, 05:56 PM
First Mate

yes. wine and beer; not liquor.
Old February 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne
I've been sailing on RCCL lately and they confiscate any alcohol purchased on shore and hold it until the end of the cruise. Hal allows you to buy alchohol and shore and keep it in your room?
not alcohol, we had it convescated when we did the Panama Canal. We pruchased some in Panama, they took it the minute we re-boarded the ship. If you bring it on in your luggage at the beginning of the cruise you may get away with it, but not if you buy it at the ports. It didin't bother us as we were buying it to take home anyway.. Wine was just fine.

Nita
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Hi Everybody!!
And I have yet another question regarding wine.

We are sailing in June to Alaska for a family reunion.
5 of us, me included, are very much into the wine culture.
First, I didn’t know you could bring your own wine onboard. Someone already clarified it.
The question is: where do you get those wine cards you are talking about?
What kind of wines do they offer? Or better yet, where can I find a list of the wines they offer?

Thanks a lot for your time. Best Regards.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Passenger

Hi Everybody!!
I found the answer in another post but thank you very much anyway.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
First Mate

just to clarify: wine and beer ARE alcohol. so, yes, hal allows you to bring wine and beer -- ALCOHOL -- on board. just not distilled spirits under the heading of liquor. eg. vodka, scotch, gin, well you get the message. but to say 'alcohol' is not allowed is misleading.

but remember, when the scanners are INSIDE the ship at the gangway, that's where you will be caught. otherwise . . .
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
Passenger

Thank you very much.

Actually we are not planning on taking anything else but red wine. Some very interesting reds.

Bess Regards.