Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Familiar Face

Default Oosterdam Veranda VH catagory

Booked for May 20, 2012. I got what I thought was a very good deal for a VH catagory veranda room. After booking I checked the deck plans and found only 4 rooms in that catagory and they were at the very front of the ship. Has anyone been in this catagory and did you experience any issues with the cabin? I have been on the Oosterdam before in an SY catagory suite and that was very nice but the location of the VH does concern me. I booked as soon as I received this deal in a GTY room and Im hoping for an upgrade. Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by alshasta; April 19th, 2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

The cabin layout is very nice - a roomy bathroom and verandah. It is also private being at the end of the hallway.

If you are subject to seasickness you will feel the motion of the ship the most in the front. It is not a place I care to have cabin, but it depends on the itinerary and time of year.

If motion never bothers you then I think it is a fine cabin. You might feel the bow thrusters when you get to port, but other than that quiet and comfy.

Old April 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you Paul. I can be prone to motionsickness. I am considering calling HAL and inquire about purchasing an upgrade toward midship.
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Better to be safe than sorry - I can tolerate a fair amount of motion but even I would rather not be all the way forward. One bad day and you could feel it a lot more than you care to...

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:59 AM
Admiral

If you are prone to sea sickness those VH cabins would probably be the worst cabins to be in as you will get a lot of motion up there if the seas are rough and going to Alaska that time of year, it can be rough We went about the same time 4 years ago on the Veendam and there were a couple of rough days, in fact we couldn't get into Skagway because of the rough seas. Who knows, this year may be different.

Also those cabins have "shower only", partial ocean view and to me the verandah's look very small. However the best place to be when in Alaska is up in the Crow's Nest or out on deck, especially if you are in Glacier Bay. Don't forget to layer your clothes, and take a hat (toque) and mitts/gloves. It can be quite chilly.

You are talking about the VH's on the Upper Prom deck, aren't you?

The SY suites are lovely, and if you enjoyed it, I think you'll be disappointed in the VH - there's no comparison as to size.

To see the size of the room, click on the cabin # and a video will appear.

Personally, I"d try and upgrade to something in the middle.

I just looked at the prices and you sure did get a good deal. Stay where you are and if it's rough, take Bonine/Meclizine.

Good luck and have a great cruise.
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

I would suggest you consider an upgrade to one of the VD cabins on the upper prom deck. Much nicer verandah. Not as high up as the others, but I think they represent the best value in the verandah class.

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam