Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default How safe is Mexico?

We are sailing on Carnival Dream in June. It stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel. I'm a little nervous about going into Mexico because of all the violence there right now. How safe is it?
We plan to book excursions through the cruise line. But in one port My husband and I are going with my mother-in-law to one place while we send our kids (ages 14 and 12) with their uncle (he's 34). I'm a little uneasy being away from them, but they really want to go on a zipline and my mother-in-law can't do that.
Should I worry? What precautions do we need to take?
Carnival Dream (Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya) - June '11
Carnival Freedom (Key West, Grand Cayman, Jamaica) Dec. '12
Carnival Sunshine (Nassau, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk) - June '14
Carnival Fantasy (Caribbean) - Dec. '14
Carnival Liberty (Alaska) - June '15
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
Admiral

Mexico is very safe. I live in Michoacan and travel extensively throughout the country. We have NEVER had a problem. The Mexican people are kind and helpful.
You have no more to worry about than if you traveled anywhere in the world. Enjoy Mexico and tell your friends how wonderful it is. Bad news travels fast and the television news is way overblown most of the time. Or so it seems to me!
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Most tourists in the main tourist areas don't see any hint of the violence we all hear about on TV, but I'm not saying it isn't there. I'd say it's 99% safe, but that 1% can be big danger if you're not very careful.
Old May 11th, 2011, 10:05 PM
First Mate

My wife and I have been to Mexico more than any other country, and we have never had any problems. We feel its our most favorite place to visit.
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Please realise Mexico is a very large country with still many safe places.
Most problems are along the borders and drugs/related, NOT aigainst tourists.
The press isnot always very correct reporting about this.
Old July 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

The murders you are talking about are drugsrelated and not against tourists.
Bringing Afghanistan or Irag in is simply crazy.
If you are that much afraid or dislike Mexico that much why stay anf live there
Old July 1st, 2011, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I have been traveling to Mexico for 35 years. I have investments in Mexico, I have good friends in Mexico. I love the country.

I assure you that there ARE crimes against tourists. Why do you think the cruise lines have been dropping ports? If anything these crimes are being under-reported.

That being said, I have no problem with the two ports mentioned. Cozumel may be the 'safest' place in all of Mexico.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Dropping those Mexican ports is very overdone as those places are safer then some other cities worldwide. I also disagree with crime against tourists. I have been living 5 months in P. vallarta this winter (for the 3rd time during winter) and am in almost daily contact with people in Vallarta. We (and many of our friends) never had any problems, not while shopping, going out to diner, driving our car, taking public transport.
No cruise-passenger was killed as long as I can remember.
I donot say nothing will or can happen, but by using common sense there is no direct danger. People who drink too much or are careless with their belongings might have some problems, but that can happen anywhere.
Puerto Rico is having major drugsproblems, with murders etc., (also not against tourists) but nobody seems to care and ships keep on sailing.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco Kevin View Post
Snoozeman I want to strongly thank you for your honesty. It is very rare for travel forum / blog moderators to admit crime is happening against tourists and even more rare to admit that they have financial interests in any destination.

Ine - crime happens everywhere. I agree 100%. What I do not agree with is Puerto Vallarta being a safe, innocent place for tourists. No one... Not even the most seasoned traveler to PV thinks it is a good idea to venture out of areas commonly referred to as "Tourist zones". Virtually every town within a 200 mile radius has a US State Department travel warning and trust me - some of the most gruesome crimes known to God and man are happening all around Puerto Vallarta.

I want you to think of the series of movies named SAW. The movies are horrific, graphic, people are tortured in ways that make water boarding seem like a fun day in the park. The very worst chapters of the SAW movies are what is happening in Mexico. I know this for a fact - I have the videos and pictures to prove it. As a matter of fact, I have footage so gruesome that I wont publish it.

Tourist Area is a misnomer. It is a false sense of security for misinformed people. The Zetas, Sinaloa Cartel, La Familia Cartel - they do not care about something you call a Tourist area. They will show up on any beach and shoot someone in the head and they do not care who is watching.

Ine you mention Perto Rico as a comparison - If you can list even one person beheaded or skinned alive in Puerto Rico then you will have won your case.

It is not so much that crimes happen - People compare crimes in the USA to Mexico almost daily. It is the nature of the crimes. When was the last time you heard of 20 people being dismembered, beheaded and buried in mass graves in the USA? I hear of these events happening almost daily in Mexico and I can prove it with footage that would give you post traumatic shock disorder.

It is not that Puerto Vallarta is specifically unsafe - it is the entire country of Mexico. So much is unreported that the exclusion of facts should be a criminal act.
Ya right I think you full of it;-)
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Isnot is amazing that some your postings are deleted on Tripadvisor?
You seem to like wrong impressions. Tourists were not killed but almost all murders/killings etc were (drugs)criminals fighting eachother. Just like most murders that even happen in The Netherlands and in many other countries.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

AcaKev-I wouldn't push it too hard as it gives the impression that your pushing an agenda. I understand your passion, but we do need to limit it to crime as it relates to cruising, not the overall crime problems in Mexico. This is a cruise forum not a news or crime forum.

Let's ask one of the feature writers here at Cruisemates to write an article on the crime in Mexico as it relates to cruise ports.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
My posts are deleted on Trip Advisor because they are not a forum one goes to for honest information. Honesty is against their "Destination Expert Time Share" advice.

Show me a post on Trip Advisor that discusses the recent beheading of two men in Cancun a couple days ago and the shootout with The Zeta cartel. You can't - the truth is suppressed and does not exist on that forum.

The exclusion of honest facts is a lie. So if you want to lie and be lied to - post there. Oops, you do - often.

So don't avoid the challenge - show me ONE report of someone being beheaded or skinned alive in Puerto Rico. You said it is just as dangerous as Mexico, show me.

I can show you photos and videos from such acts all around Mexico from just the past few days.
Iwould like to check out all of your photos if I could?Please email them to me at dthehill@aol.com if you would please thank you
Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
I will pass on Emailing you. If you want to see the stories - go to my site - you already know the address.
Sorry but I missed your address if you could remind me I would apreciate it sorry for all the trouble but I would really be interested in all of your pictures thank you
Old September 1st, 2011, 09:44 AM
Admiral

In my own humble opinion, the ports in Jamaica are far more dangerous than any Mexican port. Or so it seems to me.
Old September 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Familiar Face

Location: The State with 5 National Parks and the world's best skiing