Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 11th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cozamel - Carnival cruises Valor...Please read and react

Just returned today. All please be aware. We docked and looked to rent mopeds. We thought it would be a great way to see the island. We rented 2 mopeds as there were three of us. We witnessed an arguement on a damaged moped by a couple on the same ship but didn't think anything about it. We filled out the paperwork and off we went. Where the Valor docked the water was crystal clear. Going to Paradise beach the water was brown and dirty. No one went in. We used the pool and it was nice. We stayed about 1 1/2 hours and decided to take a drive up to see the lighthouse. Well 20 minutes into the ride the one moped broke down. The other moped we used to send two of the group back to get help. Well I was stuck on the side of the road for an hour and 45 minutes awaiting help from the moped company. I was on the side of the road and the police came to make sure I was okay. Then the rental agent showed up with a moped to get me back to the rental office. I parked the moped and spoke to an employee and I requested a refund for the one moped since we paid 55.00 and used the moped for less than 30 minutes. He refused. eedless to say it got rwell a crowd was gathering andeally heated between me and the agent. I requested the police to be called. A crowd of about 35 people gathered around since they had heard me rip this guy after his arogance and business ethics. The end story is that the police made him give me 25.00 dollars back. I asked the "office" if he thought that was fair? He replied thats the best he could do. Please all anyone going please do not rent from "Rentadora Sian Ka'an"If you agree please boycot this vendor. After spending the day there I have to say I wouldn't go back to Cozumel ever again after seeing the way I know now how they cheated the couple with the minor moped damage and the way they were alloed to cheat us. Other people on the4 boat sumed it up well. They the Mexicans are there to cheat Americans any way they can. God Bless thanks for reading.
Sponsored Links
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Sorry to hear of your moped ordeal......now that that point has been made, it has always been advised by the cruiselines to NOT RENT MOPEDS on any island, period. It is a risk that you take for your safety as well as those possible "rip off businesses" as you so gracefully stated.

As for your "BROAD" paintbrush stroke made against mexicans...... Have to disagree with you and think you should retract that racial statement. In all my experiences when travelling to COZ, and I travel to COZ 2 times a year either by ship or an all inclusive land package I have never had a problem with their vendors or their "culture/nationality" when staying at hotels, dining out, shopping and renting "vehicles", but I also make sure I take out full coverage insurance just in case !

Sorry it did not work out for you, but there are many folks that really like COZ... you just got soured by a bad moped experience (your decision despite warnings onboard and on many cruise boards). As for some dirty ocean water at the beach.... I would hope that you know that this does occur when storms or high seas have churned up the water at any caribbean port of call....not specific to COZ by any means !

No need to make the nasty remarks you did about mexicans though just because you had a less than positive experience

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Familiar Face

I disagree it is not a racial statement. The vendors are looking to rip off anyone they can. Not my words but throughout the ship all you heard were horror stories. People told us being robbed at the gas station just due to they could be taken advantage of. I have spent years in other caribbean islands. Aruba, St.Kitts, St. Maartin, Jamacia, Barbados, St.Lucia, and have never heard so many stories indicating just what I expierenced. I am happy that you have never been cheated. Thanks for your response.
Old September 11th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamL View Post
I disagree it is not a racial statement. The vendors are looking to rip off anyone they can. Not my words but throughout the ship all you heard were horror stories. People told us being robbed at the gas station just due to they could be taken advantage of. I have spent years in other caribbean islands. Aruba, St.Kitts, St. Maartin, Jamacia, Barbados, St.Lucia, and have never heard so many stories indicating just what I expierenced. I am happy that you have never been cheated. Thanks for your response.
Well, I think you are really exaggerating that you heard it all over the ship, and even if true......I would say that there were just as many happy cruisers that had a good time in COZ as there were so many that said what a rip off it was. You seem well versed based on your caribbean island experiences, but to single out COZ....ridiculous ! Jamaica....now there is where you better watch your back and wallet...thats just a well known fact !

You had a bad time and your only motive is to slam COZ and the vendor you rented a moped from as rationale behind your (2) posts on the same topic (despite being warned in advance by the cruiseline within their "Fun Times" daily activity paper all passengers are provided and "shore talks" made available for passengers to attend).

Perhaps your next cruise will be more enjoyable and you will not feel ripped off by your "ocean experience" or renting of transportation.

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old September 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Familiar Face

Again thanks for your response and opinion. However I was there and yes my goal is to warn other hard working people not to get thier hard earned money stolen from the vendors in this port. I'm glad you haven't ever had this happen to you. Would you feel ripped off if you paid for a service and didn't receive the service? How would you feel if your day was ruined? and then no compensation. I stood out in the hot sun for an hour and 45 minutes awaiting the company to come pick me up and the broken down scooter. So to slam Coz as you put it, no to try to warn others yes.
Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Familiar Face

I have been to Cozumel quite a few times and never had any problems, as a matter of fact the people there were extremely helpful, courteous and friendly. You may have met with a bad experience but I am with fun2cruiz a bad experience with one company there should not be cause to belittle the rest of the country and Carnival warns against renting mopeds, maybe next time you you will heed what the professionals tell you. Everyone should realize they warn you for a reason, someone has been there and done that!
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

The Mexicans are there because it is Mexico and it is where they live. I've been on four cruises with stops there as well as a weeklong land vacation and don't feel I have ever gotten ripped off by any merchant, cab driver, etc.... But I would NEVER rent a moped or car in another country.... Especially when I'm on an eight hour cruise stop. AND especially after watching another customer having problems with the rental agency.

Whose side did you think the other locals would take? If there was a belligerent foreigner in your hometown yelling at a local merchant whose side would you take?

Your story (I realize it is a few years old) serves as a good reminder that when you stop in a foreign port business transactions are not quite the same as they are here in the U.S.