Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Mexico
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Jason Leppert

Default The State of the Mexican Riviera

The State of the Mexican Riviera
by Jason Leppert

A detailed look at the current status and future of the Mexican Riviera cruise market, including a brand new port.

Isla Santa Margarita and Magdalena Bay (Copyright Google Maps)

Since 2009, the Mexican Riviera as a cruise destination has been rather precarious. Following reports of H1N1 outbreaks and local violence, various cruise lines have made adjustments or cancellations to their Western Mexican itineraries. But the present and future of this popular set of ports – including the classics of Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, and Mazatlán – appears to be brightening.

To this day, Mazatlán – while not the only Mexican Riviera port afflicted – remains the hardest hit by cruise ship departures and perhaps unjustifiably so. While there are indeed reports of drug cartel-related violence within the greater Sinaloa state and even a deadly shooting in a Mazatlán hotel parking lot free of tourist involvement – the truth according to Oralia Rice, Secretary of Tourism of Sinaloa, remains "that Mazatlán has been receiving cruise passengers for forty years and not one of them has been involved in a negative incident."

Read more: The State of the Mexican Riviera

How do you feel about cruising to the Mexican Riviera?

Last edited by Jason Leppert; June 5th, 2012 at 02:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Admiral

The image is tarnished...but I would like to see the Riviera repair it's image.
Old June 5th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

For cruisers who adore Mexico, returning ships with new itineraries is a good thing. But, you really must love Mexico, to have all your ports there.

I think east coasters put the Mexican Riviera, low on there bucket list, because, we can get to the Caribbean, usually for much less,and get a more varied itinerary.

I do hope Mexico rebuilds thier image, which really has been a scary one.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Not totally true and somewhat misleading...as you would expect from the Secretary of Tourism of Sinaloa. We've been to Mazatlán many many times over the years and have witness the unpleasant changes.

But more telling is we have several friends, (ex-pax's) that live in Mazatlan. They've purchased townhouses in a gated communities. When they first moved, they chose to live in a gated community because of petty theft. They felt totally safe and even told us that the only crime in Mazatlan was crimes of opportunity....theft.

BUT they and their extend friends no longer feel safe! They've witnessed shootings during daylight hours on public streets and in a restaurant. (they were just down the street when the gunmen entered the restaurant. Oh yes...this was near the Golden Zone! No one and I mean NO ONE (ex-pax or local) feels safe going out at night.

Yes...the main targets have been the local residents, but the reality is that violence has also spilled over to tourist. (where has this Oralia Rice been?)
The cruise industry would NOT have pulled out their ships unless there was a really good reason! After all...there's not much going on as far as cruising without the Mexican Riviera.

We would love to see Mazatlan open again to cruise ships. We MISS our friends...but until the people who live there think its safe...we're avoiding the port of Mazatlan.
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Admiral

We did a tten day cruise on the Mexican Riviera a few years ago. We enjyed it nad had a good time.
Now that we live in Florida we have many ports that we can drive to. If I'm going to fly for a trip, I'm going to Europe not Mexico.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Banned
Captain

Any part ofMexico problay at the bottom of my list...
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Captain

Smile

As my wife and I live on the West Coast Mexico is one of the few choses for a cruise that we have.We could go up to Seattle and go on a Alaska Cruise which we are not very interested in.Or we could fly to L.A and go on a Hawaiin cruise,which we have already done and would like to do another but its pretty spendy for us.I feel and hope that San Fransico can stay in the cruise game that would be perfect for us. We could fly to San FRan for pretty cheap and then sail down to Mexico oh ya we would have to stop at Catalina Island on the way.
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Admiral

The state of the Mexican Riviera makes me very sad. Such lovely warm hospitable people who depend on tourism so much and it's just falling apart. I think it's going to be a long time coming back.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 6th, 2012, 12:29 AM
First Mate

It's sad to say but there are just a few places I personally still feel safe going in Mexico and I have been going for many years..I'll still get off (with pleasure) in Cozumel and walk the streets at night with no fear whatsoever (even alone). The Tulum and the Playa Del Carmen area also seem quite safe. I have also not had any problem with the border town of Progreso, Mx (not the port, the Texas border town near McAllen, Tx).

CarnivalTriumph
Old June 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are regular snowbirds in Puerto vallarta, often for a 4 or 5 months stay in wintertime. I can assure you that during those years we never had any problems, not on the streets, beaches, shops, while driving car or bus etc.
With us thousands of canadians and americans are doing the same and they also having a great time. I know many places in the world -incl. Europe and the USA -that are more dangerous for tourists. Remember that almost all killings in Mexico are drugsrelated.
I still walk the streets in Vallarta at night. Friends from Canada do the same and as they state they wouldnot do this in their hometown....
This winter we also stayed in Mazatlan during a few days, and ...also there no problems. We had a great outdoor dinner at night togoether with a group of tourists but also many locals were enjoying it.
Old June 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Ine, I loved PV when we stopped there in 2010.
Old June 13th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I just sailed Mickey last Thanksgiving to Mexico.. It was super nice and I have been planning to go back ever since.
I was very disapointed that we didn't go to Mazatlan but life is long and I may go another time.

I would love to see more cruises leave from SF. I live so close I could really cruise for any occasion.
Too bad Disney is woving the Wonder back to the east coast.They are going to make me look at Princess (who is departing out of SF!!!).
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Admiral

Just doubled check with Princess Cruises yesterday (Saturday) about their Sept 26th cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Listed on the itinerary is a port stop in Mazatlan...but NO...they've canceled the Mazatlan stop and changed the port itinerary to TWO days in Cabo instead. As of now, there's still the port call to Puerto Vallarta...but that could change too.
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:03 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Just doubled check with Princess Cruises yesterday (Saturday) about their Sept 26th cruise to the Mexican Riviera. Listed on the itinerary is a port stop in Mazatlan...but NO...they've canceled the Mazatlan stop and changed the port itinerary to TWO days in Cabo instead. As of now, there's still the port call to Puerto Vallarta...but that could change too.
I will give you one guess as to why Mazatlan was cancelled.
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:07 PM
Admiral

Living in Western Canada we have to fly for all cruises except Alaska. For short cruise the Mexican Rivera was great . Short , cheap flight to LA or San Diego and now SF.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:11 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloops Cruiser View Post
Living in Western Canada we have to fly for all cruises except Alaska. For short cruise the Mexican Rivera was great . Short , cheap flight to LA or San Diego and now SF.
Dont let Trackypup see that you spelled Riviera wrong.
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
Dont let Trackypup see that you spelled Riviera wrong.
No worries, it's only your atrocious spelling and grammer that makes my eyes bleed because it's every sentence. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while

And I thought you had me on ignore? Missed me did you?

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:18 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
No worries, it's only your atrocious spelling and grammer that makes my eyes bleed because it's every sentence. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while

Sory you dont like my spelling oh wrll. I gues I will hav to tri better.

How can i ignor my bestest friend on this sight.

Crystal in Dec...
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:06 PM
Admiral

The purpose of the forums is express one's opinions on the topic.
If you want to attack the way people write or spell then it's an attack on the individual . You then are getting off the topic.
This forum shouldn't allow this type of comments.
I belong to a number of forums , they don't allow any type of personal attacks. If caught that user/member is then monitored and if it continues are blocked from posting on that forum.

I co-administer on forum , if we find individuals attacking individuals . We automatically remove them from the forums and then flag their Email . If they try to join again they are refused and an Email sent explaining why they are being refused.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old July 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
Banned
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post

Oh Did you mean this post Kamloops cruiser....Don't worry ..she does it all the time.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons16 View Post
I will give you one guess as to why Mazatlan was cancelled.
Oh yeah...we know...

We're planing a Panama cruise in Nov/Dec and checked the itinerary. On the Pacific side there are a lot more sea days because stops in Mazatlan, Manzanillo, Acapulco, and even beautiful Zihuatanejo are no longer on the port agenda. It's a shame about Zihuatanejo because it's so lovely and clean. The last time we were there, we did notice some general improvements going on, BUT so far they've managed to keep the old charm. Gosh, we're going to miss going there!
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Mexican Riviera

My husband and I will be cruising to the Mexican Riviera September 23, 2012 aboard the Carnival Splendor ship. The itinerary includes stops in Cabo and in Puerto Vallarta. We spent two weeks in Puerto Vallarta in February 2011 and learned to love this place! We found the residents to be very friendly and very eager to please. They very much realize the harm that has been done to Mexico's tourism because of bad publicity concerning the drugs, drug cartels etc. We were there long enough to really experience the culture and the kindness of the people. And, we're definitely looking forward to going back, even if it's only for a one-day stop this time. This will be our first visit to Cabo San Lucas.
Old July 24th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I really like Cabo once I got away from all the street vendors.

Just south of Cabo San Lucas is Cabo Del SanJose. I like to run down to Cabo Del SanJose to do my shopping.

The food around there is SOOOO good I could eat all dang day. I get back on the ship stuffed out of my mind.

Old October 28th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Admiral

As many on this Forum know, David and I moved to Patzcuaro, Mexico 2.5 years ago. We have built our home for retirement and are quite happy. We have driven by car, from our house to P.V. twice for vacations, and have similarly traveled to Zihuatanejo several times because it is closer and has a bit more charm.

I am posting to this thread from a hotel "Bungalows La Madera" in Zihuatanejo right this minute. In two and a half years we have seen not one act of violence. But we have seen multitudes of beautiful Mexican people loving and caring for their families as well as others.

The beautiful hotel in which we are staying is clean, spacious, well-run and has a spectacular view of Playa la Madera. We are thirty steps from one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. The room rate here is $60 per night.

Mexico is a travel bargain right now because of the troubles and bad publicity.

In my opinion the cruise ships have reduced their sailings to the Mexican Riviera not because of danger but because of all of the bad publicity and press Mexico has gotten. Bookings have dropped and the cruise ships always follow the money. Or so it seems to me!

Salud!
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

So good to read you enjoy Mexico. Indeed there are still plenty of nice places to stay and the mexicans in general are very friendly.
We will be back in P. vallarta this winter and we know we will enjoy this again.