Just returned from a Jan 23rd B2B on the Poesia. 1st week had a baseball theme, which I enjoyed completely. By the middle of the 2nd week the five language announcements started getting to me. I donít mean this to be a review just want to point out some differences I notices from having cruised on 8 different cruise lines to the MSC line.
1. Waiters in the buffet will not get coffee, juice or anything else. They will point to where you can get it yourself.
2. All announcements are in 5 languages, but not many.
3. Cruise Director announces everything in 5 languages in the theater and all activities are explained in 5 languages eventhough activities are played in English.
4. More storage areas in the cabin than most ships. 3 closet doors, 2 standard as other ships, 3rd has safe and a number of drawers. 2 nightstands with 3 drawers each and dressing table with a number of drawers on each side.
5. Lots of kids on board since passage is free if under 17 y.o. More kids than other ships for the same time of year. Probably have good programs for kids, since they do not overrun the ship.
6. Excursions are not available online before the cruise.
7. Soap dispensers in the sink and shower. No bars of soap.
8. The roulette tables do not have scoreboards of prior numbers.
9. Casino table games do not open until 2pm on sea days; eventhough slots open in the morning.
10. Drinks cannot be purchased or are allowed in the theater.
11. Buffet is closed in the evening of format nights.
12. The theater does not have performances requiring talking to the audience (comedians, ventriloquist, hypnotist, etc) because of the many languages of the pax. Opera singers instead.
13. The specialty restaurants are ala Carte.
14. Soft drink package is not pushed upon embarking and drink of the day are not pushed in the pool area.
15. No art auction.
16. The automatic tip charge is $12 per person per day. Higher than other cruise lines.
I realize some of the differences are very minor to many pax, just listing what I noticed. Since our Caribbean cruises are normally B2B, I would book another MSC Caribbean cruise only with a baseball theme, then jump onto another ship in Fort Lauderdale for the 2nd week.
Welcome to Cruisemates, thanks for a very good post and good information.
Yes, that's pretty much what I experienced and noticed as well. Different.
I have a detailed review on my blog if anyone is interested. I can certainly see where the announcements would get to one on the 2nd week.
Ray McDonald / Snoozeman
CruiseMates Forum Moderator
My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog
Future Cruises: Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014