Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > New England / Canada
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:06 PM
Chemicalkatz

Default Is Canada boring

i mean, most of the cruises there are short, 5-7 days
What is there to do? Are there any beaches?
or is there just shops. I really want to go to canada but my parents wont let me!
They say "Canada is boring tand there is nothing to do!"
I might go on a 5-day cruise to Halifax or St.Johns from Bayonne if i can convince my parents!
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:05 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Carey Send a message via Yahoo to Carey
Default Re: Is Canada boring

I would never consider Canada boring. Its definetly not the Carribbean and if you want to lounge around on a beach all day, its not the thing for you, but there is a lot of history and culture in many of the Canadian and New England ports. I'm surprised that your parents wouldnt want you to explore a new place and broaden your horizons by going on a cruise to Canada. I suppose it may depend on how old you are if you would appreciate the ports on a Canadian cruise.

Old June 25th, 2004, 04:19 PM
RobW

Going on that Voyager Cruise you mention. Leaving in 2 days. Canada is different then the beaches of the Caribbean. I am looking forward to seeing the ship. Should be totally awesome.
Old July 3rd, 2004, 01:36 AM
First Mate

How sad that your parents are so uninformed and narrow minded. Plse go even if u have to wait until u are older and pay for the trips (cruises or otherwise) there (and other places also) yourself. Then if u wish, return home and do for them what they shld be doing for u - encourage & educate them..!! They are so fortunate to have an intelligent child and undeserved. Wish u were mine!
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Parrot Mom

Canada boring...that's what most cruisers think... Halifax is a lovely and charming city with colleges, history and lovely scenery...There is a charming boardwalk where your liable to find a violin player, some local dance group, street entertainers, artists of all kinds.. St. John is lower key, a wonderful waterfront, Reversing Falls, a wonderful lobster shack...and when you arrive in St. John you are greeted by the Lord Mayor and the women are handed long stem roses and the men pins... I can't wait to go back...
Old July 5th, 2004, 02:49 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Is Canada boring

Hi parrotmom - got all your most welcome and excellent advice safely in my little 'book' ready to be used Sept. 11th on the Jewel to Can/NE. Plse keep replying to posts - we need your sage advice and experiences...it's always a pleasure to read...Happy cruisin' dear (yes I am a Canuk - eh...) and that u have one coming soon too! :0)
Old July 13th, 2004, 10:21 PM
Marlene

Hi Cruisecrazy:

Please let me know how you found the cruise and the ship. I am booked on Jewel of the Seas on October 8th. It is a 10 day Canada/New England cruise. I can't wait.

Thanks,

Marlene

Jewel of the Seas

Destiny 11/04
Old July 14th, 2004, 08:06 PM
meh

AHHHHH I hate you all, or some of you. This is getting really annoying...sorry in advance to anyone who hasn't done this before...CANADA IS A COUNTRY. In fact, it's a lot bigger than the States. Asking..."Is Canada boring" is like asking "Is America boring?" Most cruises to "Canada" just visit the Maritimes by the way. Correct me if I'm wrong but Americans have a habit on dumping on thier Canadian neighbors and it really shows when you ask a question like "Is Canada boring?"
Old July 17th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Passenger

Canada is not at all boring!

Post Edited (07-17-04 18:35)
Old July 17th, 2004, 09:20 PM
hcat

The ques may not have been artfully phrased but I think it was being asked as a comparison with the traditional carib cruise--lots of reggae & fun at beaches & at the pool. We will be travelling in Sept so obviously it will be a diff cruise experience from our previous trips--we are looking forward.to it but also wonder what it will be like--esp. the days at sea....
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Jean S

Default Re: Re: Is Canada boring

I have never cruised to Canada but I have been to all the ports that the cruise ships visit. I can honestly say that none of them are boring. St. John, New Brunswick is a vibrant city with lots to do and see. Halifax, Nova Scotia has a wonderful Scottish history and fabulous lobster to eat. Charlottetown, PEI is quaint, beautiful, and very walkable...and of coure it has the best lobster in the world and the wonderful story of Anne of Green Gables. Canada is certainly different from the Caribbean but wonderful and fascinating in its own way.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:07 AM
Cruise Maniac

Is america boring?
Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Passenger

A lot of people are quite surprised to find Vancouver surrounded by beaches (Palm trees and all) and in the summer months May to Sept. there is great sunbathing and yes swimming!

Source:Vancouver Parks Board

Quote:
One of the natural amenities which makes our city among the most livable in the world is public access to the waterfront. Almost 18 kms (11 miles) of beaches surround Vancouver. Enjoying waterfront access can take many guises: observing the beautiful landscape while cycling, walking or driving by; playing in the sand, swimming, windsurfing, sailing or merely sitting
Old January 5th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

I find this fascinating that someone could make such a statement (I live in the United States,,,there was a thread last year following the same topic but about Alaska being boring). How could anyone say a country is boring? To me that is just ignorant. Yes you can be bored in Canada, you can be bored in the US, you can be bored in France,you can be bored on the moon ,,you can be bored anywhere but a person being bored has nothing to do with a country. How inane.

Thas said,, I am on a 7 night cruise from Montreal to Boston. Are there any recommendations for shore excursions?
Old January 12th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Relax people. I'm sure the person who started the post was only wanting a comparison as the whether they would have more fun on a cruise to Canada or to the Caribbean. I too have had the same questions. Give the person credit for seeking out the information as to which cruise is best for them.

That being said, I do have a couple of questions and hope I do not offend anyone with my questions.

1. We will be traveling with kids. Do you think they will find the sightseeing and history interesting or would they have more fun on a Caribbean cruise? They have been on a Carribbean cruise and had a blast.

We would be cruising to Halifax and St. John.

Thanks.
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

I Live in Halifax, and if you like night life, you won't find it boring. Lots of Pubs and nightclubs within easy walking distance from Pier 21 (were cruise ships dock). Pubs all serve good, inexpensive lunches. ON Saturday's, there is a farmers market downtown. It's a great place to go. If you like wine, they feature a lot of local wines at the farmers market, including some great Vidal ice wine for about $25 CDN. If you arrive between august 10th and 20th, the busker fest is going on (Street Performers). It's a lot of fun, but big crowds. There lots of other things to see and do. Peggy's cove is pretty popular with the tourists, goggle it for more info. If you come, I really think you will enjoy Halifax. Lots to see and do. There are some beaches around, but the nice ones are at least an hour’s drive, and the water is pretty cold, Only about 18 Deg Celsius on a nice day. Some of them have some nice surf though, but you would need a suit to surf.
Old April 17th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Admiral

C RUISECRAZY..how was your trip... I swear just because Canada doesn't have a chain of Carlos Obrien's or whatever people thnk it will be boring.. It's nice to feel wanted in Canada...not like many places in the CAribbean where they think of you as a money cow. We have become infaturated now with trans-atlantic cruises.. and just had a big one in October.. from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale... incredible
Old April 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Beginner

Canada is actually quite boring. Apart from pockets of historical interest in the East and in particular in Quebec, there is little to do that can be called 'fun'. The climate is unforgiving, and winter could last upwards of 9 months. There are some beaches, but you need a sweater unless it is July or August. Going in the water is a definite no-no.

The nightlife in most places other than Montreal is abysmal. Cultural activities, such as theatre and arts are largely lacking, or when present are vaguely reminiscent of valium. I mean, these activities exist, but only Canadians can truly appreciate them. Years of mindless beer-drinking, hockey-violence-watching and almost religious and institutionalized substance abuse have transformed some of the locals into a drab, aggressive and potentially confrontational bunch. Women including.

I would however recommend Canada if you enjoy being in pristine and beautiful natural surroundings, if you are retired or if you are British.
Old April 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Admiral

The kids will like the Harbor Hopper...it goes right into the water from a tour of the land.. If they know the history of the Titanic...they might be interested in the burial site.. and of course the Citadel.. where the cannons go off at noon and there are the bagpipers... I won't swear to it, but it's either in St. John or Halifax where there is a Tommy the Tugboat.. I might have the name wrong... One thing is for sure in Halifax and St. John... I can tell y ou the people are extremely friendly and helpful.. We would rather a trip to these cities than going to the Caribbean where it's wall to wall tourists and scams like time sharing...
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Travelbugbitten

Hi,

This may be a little off-topic but here goes. I have never cruised to Canada but don't find it boring. My father was from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and most of my aunts, uncles and cousins from his side of the family live in various cities in Canada (an aunt and uncle in Winnipeg, MB; an uncle in Ottawa, ON; a cousin in eastern Ontario; a cousin in Calgary; several in British Columbia). I love Canada because there are many people there who love me.

Sure, Canada's not the Caribbean, but not many places are. But the country has a lot of history and tradition, and places of unbelievable beauty. For example, the horseshoe of Niagara Falls is actually on the Falls' Canadian side. Vancouver, British Columbia, the northern half of which is located in the middle of a rainforest--yes, they exist in North America, but are not as warm weatherwise--is, in my humble opinion, one of the most beautiful cities on the planet.

My experience is that Canadians are generally pretty friendly. Politically, the country is friendly with the United States, and currently you do not need a passport to get in (just a birth certificate) but that will change in the near future as the US government gets more paranoid about terrorist attacks, for good reason. But you are wanted in Canada.

My last trip to Canada was to visit relatives in Vancouver, BC from September 20 to September 30, 2004. Flying into Seattle's Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) Airport on the 20th, I'd brought my passport because I knew I'd need it to return home from Canada. My aunt and uncle, who live in Manitoba but who were visiting their daughter for a while, picked me up at the airport and drove me the 185 miles in their Dodge Caravan to Vancouver. When we arrived at the border just south of Surrey, BC, the border guards waved us in without asking for my passport.

Sorry if this was a bit long.

Jim
Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:46 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh
AHHHHH I hate you all, or some of you. This is getting really annoying...sorry in advance to anyone who hasn't done this before...CANADA IS A COUNTRY. In fact, it's a lot bigger than the States. Asking..."Is Canada boring" is like asking "Is America boring?" Most cruises to "Canada" just visit the Maritimes by the way. Correct me if I'm wrong but Americans have a habit on dumping on thier Canadian neighbors and it really shows when you ask a question like "Is Canada boring?"
Please do not suggest all American's are dumping on Canada. I resent that and all that it implies. The question was an honest question and was made by someone that is NOT as informed as some people. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to travel and I think this forum is where this person should be able to get the answers needed. They should be able to do that without being embarrassed and pt off by a reply like yours.

Please do not let the attitude of this one person stop you from visiting Canada. I have met some beautiful people from there. I loved Vancouver when we were there last year.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Default apology

Okay, I sincerely apologize for lumping the entire country of Canada in the area we were discussing.. Not ever h aving been to Manitoba or Vancouver I couldn't discuss this area. We have been to Montreal, Niagra Falls and Toronto...but that was years ago.. When "we" talk about cruising to Canada we should distinguish we are talking about Halifax, St. John and Sydney....the Nova Scotia area (hope I''m not wrong there).. So accept my apologies..
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM
Passenger

Parrot Mom, In no way was I refering to you in the previous post.

It was the MEH(guest) that ticked me off talking about the American's dumping on Canada. I am American and proud of it. I like to think I can be frindly to anyone and not dump on them. Now I have said enough on that subject.

I have been thinking about cruising the New England and Canada this fall. It is somewhere I always wanted to go. I am sure it will be beautiful and relaxing. I just hope the person asking the original question finds the answers they are looking for.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Frankly, I'd love to do that cruise again..but many of the ship leave from NYC or Boston...or use Boston as a port. We were on the NCL Sea when there was a storm and our course was changed from Bermuda to Newport(an hour away from my home), Boston (no way to get home to do laundry), Bar Harbor, Halifax and St. John... These ports are getting to be quite popular and frankly I would rather go to these ports than in the Caribbean where you are looked at as a "cash cow:"
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:53 AM
Beginner

Default Quebec City

Hi to all,

There is nothign boring for cruisers......

For those who are wondering what Quebec has to offer if ever they are doing a stop during their New England or Constellation or any other Canada cruise, please do not hesiste to contact me.

I offer private tour for everything there is to see in the uppper and lower old city of Quebec as well as the countrysides.

I will show you that not only Quebec is not boring but also I will make sure you will have a remarkable and unforgettable time during your one day trip and descovery in Quebec.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM
Passenger

Have your parents ever been to Canada???? And if so where did they go??

We had friends from ENgland tell us there son was coming to Canada, he was landing in Halifax and could we pick him up from the airport. We live in BC so my mum responded "oh could you pick him up your closer than we are" Canada is a huge Country!!!

I am from BC and I can tell you it is so far from boring.

A few years ago I went snowbording in the morning and wakeboarding in the afternoon. We have amazing summers here is BC and there is always tons to do!! 8)

There is a great nightlife here and breath taking surroundings. From mountains to lakes to the ocean!!

As a Canadian I am happy that some do not come as they ASSUME we are boring. There are no boring places only boring people...feel free to stay home or go elsewhere....we are having so much fun we won't notice!!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

Am I right in that the OP first posted in 2004?

RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5/98
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 1/02
CCL Fascination 10/03
CCL Holiday 11/04
CCL Celebration 5/05
HAL Statendam 5/05
CCL Holiday Xmas/06
Crown Princess 10/07
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Admiral

I have a daughter (who was 13 at the time) and found Disney World boring. So 'ya never know. I have been all over the Maritimes, Quebec, Ontario, and B.C. Never boring. Halifax has a lovely main park, a good history of the city and the poingnant Titanic cemetary. And oh yeah - the best (and cheapest) lobster anywhere in the world. P.E.I. is just fabulous !
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old February 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Canada boring? No way. We have been to Vancouver, one of the most beautiful cities that I have even seen with it's breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean, Granville Island, Stanley Park, Chinatown, not to mention also the great shopping! Then too, Montreal, with its French culture, ethnic neighborhoods, great food, great history, and fabulous shopping. Go also to Halifax, where you will see Canada's answer to Ellis Island. We are headed back to Canada this summer as we have not yet seen St. John, New Brunswick or Peggy's Cove, near Halifax. With any destination please keep an open mind; you just might be pleasantly surprised!
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Passenger

Hi,
Even though this post was started in 04, It still seems to be going on so I will give my 2cents. A CAD cruise is not boring. We have always gone in Sep/Oct and always had a good time. Granted its not like a CARB cruise ,you wont get the belly flop contest or hair chest or any of those warm weather games. Also even though they have the "festive" drinks {pina colad,straw daq etc..} they dont seem to push them as much , I guess who wants a frozen drink when its only just under 60 F. Plus you can also get a lounge chair usually with no problem . I assume for the summer months is it a bit like a CARB cruise.
This is going to be our 7th CAD/NE cruise{ 11th total}. Most of that is because of Halifax. We love that city. It has a great broadwalk that they keep improving on every year. Its great to just walk along or people watch. It is also a great walking town. There is so much to see and do. If you are in to history, arts, buildings etc.. There is even a Casino at the end of the broadwalk if thats your thing. As for Saint John NB {St. John is used for Newfoundland only-its a mail thing} or Sydney NS they are both nice cities as well. Each with its own charm and sights. This year we are also stoping in PEI. Charlottetown to be precise and Quebec City.
So is it boring-no, Different than a CARB cruise-perhaps-will you enjoy it, I would say yes. You can always do a 3 or 4 days cruise, to get you started. Good luck

JC

PS Would like to know if the original poster ever took that cruise and what did they think about it?