Old July 25th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Passenger

Default SS Norway-Nice?

I am considering a cruise in November on the SS Norway. However, I am skeptical because its an older ship. I have only been on newer ships. Anyone have any feedback on the ship? Does it look old? Did you feel safe?

Thanks!
Jen
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Default Re: SS Norway-Nice?

She may be old, but she's probably the best-built ship out there. She was build for Transatlantic service, and they don't build them like that anymore. I've sailed on her 10 times (including 2 transatlantic crossings) and felt safer than I do at home.

Actually, her age is a great part of her charm (also because they don't build them like that anymore). If you like history, some of her cabins and decor (murals, original first class dining room, Club International) are very little changed from her days as the SS France. If you like more modern, her top 2 decks (Sun and Sky) have fairly new cabins with balconies that are quite large and comfortable.

The food is very good, the entertainment top-notch, and the ambience is unmatchable by any of the newer ships. I think you should give her a try.

Marilyn
Old July 25th, 2002, 10:18 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: SS Norway-Nice?

I forgot to add that, in choosing a cabin, it's very important to be familiar with the deck plan or have a TA who knows the ship. The cabins range all the way from grand and gorgeous (IMO) down to "broom closets", since she was built as a 2-class transatlantic liner. Find out all you can about the cabin you select so that there won't be any unwelcome surprises. We have always get a balcony on Sun Deck, because we like having a new, modern cabin, while still sailing on an historic ocean liner.

Marilyn
Old July 27th, 2002, 01:11 AM
thedreamweaver

Default Re: SS Norway-Nice?

Jan!
Everything Marilyn says about the Norway is true. The Norway is unique and wonderful. I've been on a lot of ships, but NOTHING compares to the history, grandeur, and elegance of the Norway. I sailed her in January for the first time, and I'll be on her again November 3rd. The folks who went with me in January are ALL going again in November. We can't wait!!!
sidenote - don't miss the "Chocoholic Buffet" where everything in the dining room one evening is made of chocolate, and you can eat it ALL!
I particularly liked a dessert called
"Death By Chocolate".
Hope you decide to sail on the Norway - you'll NEVER regret it. Take heed of Marilyn's advice on choosing a cabin, though. We all got "broom closets" on our January sailing, got a BIG cabin for November.
Old July 27th, 2002, 05:36 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: SS Norway-Nice?

Hello Jan
As they say, been there, done that, got the shirt and still wearing it. The Norway is a grand ship. If your not ready to relax and enjoy a slower pace cruise that's still packed with fun, entertainment, and excitement then your in for a surprise. This ship offers what cruising on a luxury liner means. This ship is a "Lady". All other ships in the fleets today step aside and allow The SS Norway to sail first in line.
see ya'll there

John and Chip
Old August 1st, 2002, 10:03 AM
Jim Munkitrick

Default Re: Re: Re: SS Norway-Nice?

Let me give you all the ngatives!
She has classic lines and rides thru the water too smoothly, whereis the fun is you are not pitiching and swaying?
She has the world's most elegant room, the International Club, what funis grace and style in today's throwaway world?
NCL offers their on Dive in program, a bit more expensive than buying your scuba or snorkel tour on your own, but who wants to have ship representatives along on your dive to insure everything goes right?
LeBistro? Oh no, its is just your vaction, why would you even consider dinng in a fine Frnch restaurant at sea?
The Shows, just because NCL is KNOWN for their show troupes, who is interested in great evening entertainment.
That darn NORWAY historian, a mix of nostalgia, classic ships and wonderful information...all that stuff while on a vacation!
The darn Prominade, one side English, one side French
The Sports bar, two rotating bands in the evening..wh wants non-top entertainmnt?

Opps, forgot..the Norway once was theclassic FRANCE and sailed as a multi class ship and threfore the elevators do not go to all decks and they are bit slow. In "the old days" ship courtesy was to WALK down decks and ride up DECKS..so you may find elevators slow.

PS..Call NCL and get the exact details on your cabin (sq ft, etc) they vary greatly or just book a balcony suite and live the good life!

The BLUE LADY is a treasurer in a sea of cokie cutter cargo ships with potholes, we preared for a classic vacation!
Old August 9th, 2002, 08:57 PM
William Haglund

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SS Norway-Nice?

You won't get sea sick on this ship, she sail like a dream. I hve sailed on her 3 times.
Old October 10th, 2002, 06:52 PM
al heinlein

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SS Norway-Nice?

ive had cabins v151 and v144,both huge-two portholes and 3 portholes
alco inside b210, ok and in dec. 15 b6 outside upper and lower which i scoped out last june. you cant help but love her, i do!