Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:20 AM
sr

Default passports held by ncl?

we are taking a western carribean cruise on the ncl sun leaving dec 31, 2006. I read a post that stated ncl took the passports and returned them at the end of the cruise- is this still the case? if so, have there been any problems with this? I personally feel nervous having no control over my passport for 7 days.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2005, 07:43 AM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: passports held by ncl?

Never have they taken ours and held them. I think it has something to do with those who are not from America. I am sure someone will clear this up for you. I do know they will not hold them if you are from USA> NMNita
Old August 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
First Mate

This applies to non-USA citizens. We are Canadian and on both our cruises NCL held our passports.
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:28 PM
American Pride

It only applies to Non US passports and the only time US passports are collected is when the itenerary takes you to a country that requires US citizens to have an entry visa.When passports are collected they are kept locked in a safe until the immigration authorities ask to see them. Believe me it does speed up the whole immigration process. If we didnt collect them, then you would probably be spending most of your port time standing in an immigration line instead of enjoying your vacation.
Old August 14th, 2005, 02:32 PM
newmexicoNita

American Pride,

Thanks so much for the explanation. I did know, as US citizens we never had to give them up to any cruise line when cruising Meixco, Canada or the Caribbean and some others did, but did not know the reason. You are always filled with good comments and answers.

NMnita