Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Passenger

My husband and I are from Oregon. We haven taken personal gifts for our cabin stewards from the Oregon store. It has always seemed appreciated. Any other suggestions for gifts? We leave for our 3rd cruise 2-6-09 and would like to take something that the stewards can really enjoy. Hadn't thought about the international phone cards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M
You were more than generous and the steward was just giving you a sob story to get more of your money. If the Head Housekeeper knew he was doing this he'd be cleaning the washrooms or stuck on the lower decks. It is completely unacceptable. You basically tipped him $744 for a two week cruise. (4X$140)+50+134)=$744. $134 is based on current exchange rates.

Mike
Mike I agree the sob story is like the days of old before the service charge to make sure they were not stiffed.

Your math however I have a concern with. The Room steward does in fact gets a percentage of the $10 pp. Best case $2-$3. Normally thee are two stewards and that is split but they have more cabins. At $2 and ten cabins he would make $280 for two weeks work. That represents almost all of his income. You want the job ?

New Year you were very generous and that is a good thing. But I also think he worked you a little bit and that is not a good thing.
Shoreguy:

You are absolutely right. He did get not all of the daily charge. I guess I was too irritated by his audacity to think clearly.

No matter what I believe the steward was a con-man.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 6th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

While I do not know exactly how the tips are allocated, I do want to say that I agree that people should stick to the recommended guidelines for tipping and add only add extra in cash if they feel it is warranted.

I prefer to hand the extra directly to the service person I want to overtip, not in an envelope. That way, I believe they can do with it as they please. Assuming no one sees it, they can keep it.

New Year - you were very generous and if it makes you feel good about it then good for you. I understand that sometimes one feels a connection with another soul for whatever reason and there is no need to justify it.

I would prefer that staff people NOT give sob stories to passengers, however, if their sole purpose is to get sympathy tips. That is not proper service. If you ask them personal questions, that is different.

$100 for four people for ONE week is perfectly acceptable. I believe you said 14 days, though.

By the way - I am sure the staff much prefers Euros over dollars in Europe. They are worth more and much easier to spend onshore. i also agree that phone cards are not a good idea. They are hard to use and often not very international. If the ship relocates they become worthless.

I do know that before the days of "auto-tipping" to your shipboard account the percentage of people who stiffed the staff was 25-33% - that is way too high. The cruise lines had to do something.

I am very happy with the account system of tipping - it saves so much time & trouble over stuffing envelopes with cash.

First-time cruiser: the only added charges to your account will be tips and whatever you purchase onboard, including soda and drinks. If you choose to eat in the cruise-included dining room every night you will not spend an extra penny on food. If you consider an added fee restaurant you will know the cost before you commit to dine there. There won't be any "hidden charges" on your cruise.

Room service tips should be just 1-2 dollars for prompt service. If it is very late tell them you are not satisfied with that. A full dinner should be a higher tip, as Mike notes.

One reason why the cruise lines distribute tips to the head housekeeper & room service coordinator is so if they fall down on the job their wages are affected, too.

I get tired of hearing about inexperienced butlers. If there is ANY job where one needs to be competent it is the butler. Not that I usually have one (once in a blue moon) but when I do I don't want one where I have to follow him around and clean up his messes. I think this is the cruise lines' policy of promoting people from housekeeper to butler. Rarely do they hire butlers from the outside world for the job.

In truth, I question why one even needs a butler. Give me a competent steward, good room service and a concierge and there is no need for a butler. This may be just me - but I just find their presence disquieting.

An incompetent butler giving me a sob story would probably not get MY sympathy (this has no bearing on New Year's experience) though, because it is supposed to be a job where technique is the most important attribute. I would tip a butler more money if I hardly noticed his presence than if I found myself listening to his stories and not knowing when to leave the room. Oh well, thats just me I guess.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Paul, your views on sympathy stories reminds me of a cruise we took about 3 years ago, not on NCL. Our wait person took, at least 2 minutes at the end of each dinner to tell us how hard he worked for us and said, he hoped we appreciated his efforts. (I might add 3 nights my husband didn't get a menu without asking) anyway, long story, this was a line without auto tipping, we did give him the suggested amount but no more and in some ways, to this day I am sorry we didn't give him a little less. All 8 of us felt the same way.

Nita
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:38 PM
Passenger

For the avoidance of any doubt (and in case anyone from NCL is monitoring this board), I must state that as far as I am concerned, none of the staff gave me any sob stories. Anything I was told was only in response to my queries and at no time did I feel pressurised to give money to the staff.

I get a kick out of giving money away and whilst I can afford a GV, I wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money on ourselves - far better to have a penthouse and use my money for other purposes. $15 would pay for a meal a day for a child over a year. $15,000 would pay for a thousand children's meals for a year. Is it better to live in the lap of luxury for a fortnight or stay in a lower category stateroom and feed some hungry children for the same money?