CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   clothing optional decks? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/370554-clothing-optional-decks.html)

naturist January 7th, 2010 01:06 AM

clothing optional decks?

Need help from past cruisers. My wife and I are nudists and looking for info on NCL. We have heard that they have small adult only areas that you can tan in the nude, male and female without being hassled. We have cruised with RCL, Carnival and Princess many times and all of those don't have what we're looking for. I've read conflicting post's about NCL and this subject. Anyone out there that can tell us 100% truefully one way or another?

Kamloops Cruiser January 7th, 2010 09:11 AM

I think you'l find most US cruise lines don't have such and area. Some european lines might have such an area. Even US lines in sailing in Europe don't have an area.

Paul Motter January 7th, 2010 10:26 AM

That's right. Even European-based cruise lines like MSC only allow topless as far as I know. Do a "google" on nude cruises, however. There is a company that does charters all the time (I forget the name, not exactly a fan of showing off this body).

I am guessing the most "free" cruise line would be a German line like Aida. The Germans have nude beaches that are popular.

nmnita January 8th, 2010 02:11 PM

If they do have one, this is new to me. I have cruised NCL 11 times, never seen or heard of a bare body area. The closest would be Carnival has topless decks.

Nita

jla418 January 16th, 2010 09:56 AM

I know for a fact that the Norwegian Jewel and Norwegian Pearl have what is called the "Freestyle Sundeck" on Deck 15 Forward. I'm guessing that this area is also on the other Jewel Class ships. You can check the deck plans at NCL.com. It is adults only, and on my transatlantic voyage, on the Jewel, nude sunbathing was allowed. If I recall, the sign pointing up the stairway to the deck states that it is adults only and clothing optional. I was on the Pearl in Alaska, and the weather didn't encourage any type of sunbathing at all! While it was sunny, it was chilly!

I just checked the deck plans for the Epic, and it shows a Freestyle Sundeck area on Deck 19.

nmnita January 18th, 2010 04:32 PM

Let's put it this way, you know something most of us absolutely no not know, even those in the business. As for the Epic, that one isn't in the water yet so none of us have experience...

Nita

kevinscruising April 15th, 2010 02:58 AM

Yes, the Freestyle Decks are topless. I have seen / been there on the Gem. I know the Jewel also has one. Any NCL ship that has a Freestyle Deck on the upper deck is topless. Not sure about total nude.

Kevin

Paul Motter April 15th, 2010 10:06 AM

But NCL DOES have a clothing optional beaches on its private island.

Mike M April 15th, 2010 10:25 AM

Yes:

There is a Freestyle Sun Deck on most NCL ships where you can go topless. I know there was one on Jewel, Dawn and Jade.

Take care,
Mike

sergej April 16th, 2010 08:58 AM

>>There is a Freestyle Sun Deck on most NCL ships where you can go topless

Topless and nudist are normally 2 different people.

AIDA .
Sauna - "girls " and boys" are together and naked (most of those people are not nudist)
One use Sauna in Germany normaly only naked, any clothes are "verboten" in any
Germany sauna.

But AIDA have a separate nudist areas on the deck (for people of any age - for children too) -
there one can be naked or not , or topless.

But "normally" nudist have no clothes at all.

venice April 16th, 2010 11:00 AM

so all nudist are topless..but not all topless are nudist:confused::confused::confused:

Paul..when you are on the Epic, you will confirm this correct :rofl::rofl:

sergej April 16th, 2010 12:10 PM

>>so all nudist are topless..but not all topless are nudist

I think "nudist" that is some art of philosophy or an art of religion.
Topless on even naked is not.

As I get Epic have separate Sauna for "girls" and "boys".

Paul Motter April 16th, 2010 12:43 PM

Serge - I didn't know that about Aida. Interesting.

I will tell you when I was on MSC with French, Germans & Italians in the western Med I saw lots of kids running around naked, some as old as six or seven years old.

That would NEVER happen in the US - the parents would be arrested.

sergej April 16th, 2010 01:07 PM

>>That would NEVER happen in the US - the parents would be arrested.

I know, Paul, but unfortunatelly there is no sex orgy on AIDA.

kevinscruising April 17th, 2010 12:18 PM

I have been to NCL's private Island ....never knew about a clothing optional area??? Where is it ??

sergej April 18th, 2010 12:46 PM

939 View clicks))::

one would never find any discussion or questions
on German forums on that topic and one can get no information
about it in any prospects.

So I think the only real posibility for nudists are AIDA ships

The only "problem": people would laught if one cary a hat or cap
in Sauna as I did (I like only to protect my "brain" from hight temperature),

I did it as i know the people from Finland use to do it-and it helps!

beetle May 18th, 2010 09:09 PM

ncl deck

ncl jewel class ships do have freestyle deck and when we were in the carb it was clothing opitional and was used as such and yes it looks like epic has a deck rated that way also.;)

sergej May 18th, 2010 09:26 PM

>>freestyle deck

freestyle deck ? as for me that have no sence

I don't like to lay under the sun and to burn my body.
Because I am sure that is extreemly unhealthy.

But as I think there is no "freestile" Saunas on any "non- German" ship
anywhere.

Paul Motter May 21st, 2010 01:05 PM

Well thanks - I am not sure we need this here, though

Elliot October 31st, 2011 12:58 AM

Clothing optional at Half Moon Cay?

Hello Paul. You seem to be the best resource on the net. My gal and I will be on the Neiuw Amsterdam....stopping at HMC. Do you know of a Clothing optional spot there?

Also, I understand there is a naturist resort near Falmouth, Jamaica called "N". Would you know how far it is from the dock?

Much thanks. Elliot

johnthed0g October 31st, 2011 07:02 AM

Along with excessive tattoos & piercings I don't understand nudity in public.

Elliot October 31st, 2011 11:36 PM

I would agree that nudity in public is a problem, as the nude person is goading others to be embarrassed.... it's too often a foolish political statement.

However, warm weather vacation spots often cater to people like me who really enjoy the feeling of skinnydipping of lying naked in the sun. So, I politely ask whenever I go, in the hopes of finding a quiet patch of water and sand where I can enjoy my hard earned vacation to the fullest without imposing myself on others.

out4cruisefun May 16th, 2012 12:54 PM

Clothing Optional Sun Deck

I just got off the NCL Epic and they have a clothing optional sun deck. It is call the freestyle sun deck and was pretty empty most of the time. At any 1 time, the most people tanning nude was 3.

GGBNJ130 May 24th, 2012 05:34 AM

Carnival had "clothing optional" decks when I went on, 2 for 2 Carnival Cruises w/ those decks, and they were EMPTY the whole duration of the cruise, it's not really that private, you can see the deck clearly from other decks below, in a small distance...

kingfish12 March 22nd, 2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naturist (Post 1266556)
Need help from past cruisers. My wife and I are nudists and looking for info on NCL. We have heard that they have small adult only areas that you can tan in the nude, male and female without being hassled. We have cruised with RCL, Carnival and Princess many times and all of those don't have what we're looking for. I've read conflicting post's about NCL and this subject. Anyone out there that can tell us 100% truefully one way or another?

I have sailed NCL a number of times and just sailed on the Epic March 1st. Many of the NCL ships have what they call a Freestyle Sundeck. Topless and nude sunbathing is allowed in these areas. The Epic has one of the larger ones that I have used. Also, the Gem and the Jewel that sail out of NY City both have Freestyle decks. The Dawn used to but not since the last remodel. Go to their website and look at the deck plans. If you see the Freestyle deck, it's topless and nude.