Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default NO Singles Supplement for Epic Studio Staterooms!

Huge news for singles!

01-13-10

In an amazing announcement for single cruisers, the new "Studio Staterooms" on Norwegian Epic will be sold to singles with NO singles supplmenent. These rooms feature a bedroom and bathroom, but just a small seating area. The 128 Studio Staterooms do share a common living area, however, which will make cruising like one big happy family for singles.

Nothing like this has been offered a cruise ship ever before - a distinct area for singles with a living-room style common area.

Norwegian Epic's Studios are now the first staterooms specially designed and priced for single occupancy - starting at just $799 per cabin on either of the 7-day Eastern or Western Caribbean itineraries. The Studio staterooms are available on all of Norwegian Epic's sailings - with no single supplement.

They go on sale Monday, January 18, 2010. Norwegian Epic is scheduled to debut in America in May 2010.

"Historically, the cruise industry has not embraced the large number of people who enjoy traveling solo," said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line's chief executive officer. "We are breaking the mold of traditional cruising once again by offering a stateroom designed and priced specifically for solo travelers, making cruising a more attractive travel option. We invite all solo travelers - whether they are first-time cruisers or cruising veterans -- to sail on our incredible new Freestyle Cruising ship, Norwegian Epic."

The Studios area onboard Norwegian Epic is a private key-card access complex. There are two decks with 128 staterooms and the Studio Lounge. This unique and thoughtfully designed concept provides comfort and convenience for the solo traveler. Each Studio stateroom is approximately 100 square feet with a full-size bed and separate areas for the commode, sink and shower.

Guests in the Studios have private access to the exclusive Studio Lounge to get coffee, drinks and snacks, meet up with fellow cruisers and relax at night. Many of the Studio staterooms are connecting so friends can travel together and still have their own private space.

Studio Staterooms

The Studio staterooms represent a new concept for accommodations in modern cruise ships. The name and the design come from urban "studio apartments" that have just one room with all the basics. These staterooms, at just 100 sq. ft., contain a queen-size or two twin beds and separate bathroom facilities. The shower and toilet are each in separate compartments.

They have the same modern design as the other staterooms on the ships (see our article on F3 stateroom design), but also come with customizable color-changing lighting effects that mirror different stages of the day or the guest's mood, including a "love" setting for romantic nights at sea.

click on pictures below for larger images:

Studio Stateroom Studio Staterooms Common Living Room

All studio staterooms are centered on a two-deck-tall common area called "the Living Room," featuring a concierge, bar, room service, two large TV screens, and comfy seating for hanging out, reading a book or just enjoying a cocktail before dinner. Each "Studio" has a large, round picture window looking into the common corridor; keycard-controlled access to the living room is limited to the guests staying in one of the 128 studio staterooms.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It is great that NCL has finally acknowledged and accommodated the long overlooked "single cruiser". NCL really has been at the forefront in cruise innovations and I'm not talking about malls and ice rinks. They started the Freestyle concepts in dining and dress that almost all cruise lines have implemented in varying degrees. They were also the first to have automatic gratuities that some bemoan but most people love. It eliminates the final night of stuffing envelopes. Now they have set the standard in singles cruising. I like NCL.

The studios look so good that I might see if my wife will let me book one.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 13th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

First of all - you are right about NCL. It is just a GREAT thing to do for the curise industry and it is something long overdue. Single cruisers deserve a break and this is a way to really introduce a lot of people to cruising who never would have tried it before.

The setup is so perfect for a single person - you automatically know who and where the single people are onboard - and you can easily find then almost whenever you want.

But, sorry, but I am sure your wife would say you're just too good lookin' to be left alone in a group of single cruisers.

I'll tell you what though, at that price I see a lot of couples booking those adjoining cabins - whether they are married (but prefer to sleep alone - it is more common than you might think) or same-sex friends. That is a great way to travel with a friend and also have some privacy at a reasonable price.
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Yea, NCL! This is a wonderful idea (although I hope I don't need it!). One of the #1 complaints I've seen here on CM's and on the "other" big site is the cost for a person to sail solo. I predict that these cabins will be sold out the day they're released for sale .

The single people that I know aren't in their cabin enough to care about the size. As long as there's a closet, TV, bed and bath, I'm sure they'll be happy !

Just curious, are passengers going to have to prove they're single to book one of these cabins? Let us know, Mike !

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 13th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Kudos to NCL! This is too long in coming....I am sure the rush will be on! Finally, some people will get to cruise,who were never able to!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Admiral

I paid the single supplement for the Oasis last month and it hurt. I'd gladly book one of these studio cabins. 100 square feet is fine. I've been in a 112 sq ft cabin on the old Seaward and that was with a child and my wife. Plus it had no private lounge! The lounge sounds very appealing, sort of a concierge club feel to it.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:13 PM
First Mate

Good news. I paid double to travel solo last month and that hurt. I'm married but may have to cruise "single" in the future when my dh can't make it due to work.

I'm sure there are a lot of spouses in my shoes. And you bet I would consider a cruise line that recognizes the issue and attempts to address it rather than ignore it.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Fantastic idea. Let's hope this too will be adopted by the other cruise lines in the future.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 15th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Hi Paul, Yes, that's great about NCL offering solo traveler rates! Hope it works well for all of us...
Old January 16th, 2010, 05:44 PM
First Mate

this is BIG news for us solo cruisers. i think i am going to cancel my oasis cruise for the epic.
2007 carnival liberty
2005 carnival destiny
2004 rccl radiance of the seas
2003 rccl explorer of the seas