Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM
Passenger

Default taking a baby on a cruise?

i posted this on another section but hoping someone out there knows about NCL......

We have taken many cruises but this time we invited our DS, DIL and there 11 month old. Never been on a cruise with a baby and don't recall seeing many either.
1. Is it somewhat normal to bring babies on cruises?
2. does the line provide cribs? We are going on the NCL Jewel

3. is there baby sitting available if we want it?
4. can you take a baby into the shows?
5. any other information/suggestions would be appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2010, 03:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

1. Is it somewhat normal to bring babies on cruises?
Yes it's normal, but due to the age, 11 months, you will probably all need to take turns babysitting. All the daily happenings at home,will just now be at sea

2. does the line provide cribs? We are going on the NCL Jewel
cribs are provided

3. is there baby sitting available if we want it?
for kids, 2 and older

4. can you take a baby into the shows?
people do it, yes, and hopefully they will sleep...respectfully, children of any age, who are tired, unhappy, or acting up, should be taken out of the theater.. I honesty have not had any issues with this though.

5. any other information/suggestions would be appreciated... babies should not be brought into the pool or hot tub...I would suggest a small blow up pool, that you could put right by your chairs, and this will be fun for the baby..A hat and some small blow up packable toys will add to the fun.

Have a great cruise!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefarl View Post
i posted this on another section but hoping someone out there knows about NCL......

We have taken many cruises but this time we invited our DS, DIL and there 11 month old. Never been on a cruise with a baby and don't recall seeing many either.
1. Is it somewhat normal to bring babies on cruises? I wouldn't say it's "normal", but some people do bring their babies. Usually I suggest that they leave the baby with Grandma, but since you're Grandma... . (Could the other Grandparent's take the baby during the cruise?)

2. does the line provide cribs? We are going on the NCL Jewel I think they provide pack-n-plays.
3. is there baby sitting available if we want it? Not really for little babies. If you have a female Room Steward and you like and trust her you might want to ask her to babysit for extra $$$. (I wouldn't, but that's just me.)
4. can you take a baby into the shows? As Trip said, yes, but please take the baby out if it's at all fussy. Some people are so used to their sweetie's noise that they forget that it's very aggrevating to other people! Unlike Trip, we have had issues with this !
5. any other information/suggestions would be appreciated...
Again, like Trip, I'd be sure there's a family babysitter available all the time, just to cover everything.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old February 23rd, 2010, 10:09 PM
Admiral

We have seen babies on cruises but not many. As long as everyone realizes you will need to curtail some of your activities it can work.

Yes, the cruise line has cribs, they are the pack and play type. Yes, you can take baby to shows, but remember there are others in the show and if baby gets bored,which may happen you will want to leave so others can enjoy the entertainment. No, there is no baby sitting for little ones. Hope this helps with some of your questions.

Nita
Old March 29th, 2010, 02:27 PM
First Mate

We took our then 10month old on a disney cruise in Oct and plan to go on the NCL Dawn with her in June. She had fun with us but, didn't like going to the nursery. My husband was very nice to watch her during her cranky times while My older daughter and I enjoyed shows and ect. The crib in the room worked out well. The staff was very good to help us find table food And pureed food for her. We brought the umbrella stroller which worked out great.

She enjoyed it...and so did we. Our NCL cruise itinerary is just Bermuda so I believe it will be a relaxing one. It's nice you have the option of all the dinning and any time, makes for less demands on the baby since her schedule will be some what off. We like to sometimes just hit the buffet at night and bring our food outside to dine under the sunset. I'm sure the baby will love it! I think I will try a show with her this time, depending on her mood of course. NCL's kids camp doesn't start until 3 or 4 I think. No matter what...HAVE FUN :-D
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:27 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
We took our then 10month old on a disney cruise in Oct and plan to go on the NCL Dawn with her in June. She had fun with us but, didn't like going to the nursery. My husband was very nice to watch her during her cranky times while My older daughter and I enjoyed shows and ect. The crib in the room worked out well. The staff was very good to help us find table food And pureed food for her. We brought the umbrella stroller which worked out great.

She enjoyed it...and so did we. Our NCL cruise itinerary is just Bermuda so I believe it will be a relaxing one. It's nice you have the option of all the dinning and any time, makes for less demands on the baby since her schedule will be some what off. We like to sometimes just hit the buffet at night and bring our food outside to dine under the sunset. I'm sure the baby will love it! I think I will try a show with her this time, depending on her mood of course. NCL's kids camp doesn't start until 3 or 4 I think. No matter what...HAVE FUN :-D
thanks for the info.. we just confirmed the NCL Jewel in June with my granddaughter coming along at 10months... will see if the kids have an umbrella stroller or something small ..