Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Epic Studio Staterooms

I was just looking over these staterooms and I see they don't seem to be all they are cut out to be and I now see why they are selling them to singles only.

First of all the they are tiny - but we knew that.

More importantly, the shower is essentially IN THE ROOM with nothing but a glass shield around it - so you are in plain view while showering of anyone you nay be thinking of sharing this room with.

There is almost NO closet space.

And finally - I personally was under the impression that all of the staterooms looked out into the "living room" - but the living room is really very small and most of the windows look out in a hallway - um, not a lot to see except people walking by.

Here is a view looking from one bed with the window to the right. I hope NCL is VEY sure that is one-way glass only because I see no drapes and it is a big wondow. Also, you'd better not have a roommate open the door while you are in the shower! The shower is in plain view of the door front!

What if your room steward walks in?

Here you see the actual studio staterooms are the green ones along the thin hallway in the center. That hallway is what you see out your window. The studio lounge is nearby, the it doesn;t appear that any of these staterooms actually look out on the living room.

Here is the living room - as you can see it is pretty small and there are no windows looking into it.

Just a few things to ponder about these cabins. They are still priced right for a single person, but I certainly wouldn't book two people in there. It isn't like the living room is right outside, "Hey Colin, can you hand me the shampoo?" - nope, if you have a roommate chances are they are NOT going to be in the room when you are showering. And couples had better know their spouses very well 'cause if they drop the soap you are going to see "everything"
Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2010, 07:40 PM
Admiral

Paul, I'm getting that "closed in" feeling just from looking at the photos!

From what I understand these are being marketed to singles who are "never in the cabin except to shower and sleep". It looks like there are closets on each side of the TV and a few shelves next to the sink. I would lock the dead bolt lock before I showered !

If it came to booking one of these or not sailing, I'd book one (if I was single )!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Familiar Face

I believe all the rooms on Epic have the separate shower, toilet and sink like what is in the studio. There is supposed to be a privacy curtain that can be used. However I can see this as a big issue for people not travelling with spouses/significant others.

***edited by moderator***

I'm booked in a studio for the Oct 9th sailing so I'll get to see first hand what it's like and I'm looking forward to reading about what others think as well.

Last edited by Kuki; March 28th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old March 28th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wando - in fact , according to the picture above which is a family stateroom and below which is a standard inside cabin I now see that all they have for both the shower and the toilet is glass.

In the picture above you can see that it IS see-through glass, but now I see the curtain across the whole bathroom area - it appears to shut off the shower and toilet together, but includes the front door. So you MUST lock the front door - and if you are in the shower or on the toilet and someone walks in (your roommate) then there is no way they are NOT going to see you.

Once they walk past you you will have to ask them to close the curtain, or else get out of the shower (or off the toilet (?) and do it yourself). Of course, if I was sitting on the toilet my wife would probably get just close the curtain for me - because who would want to see that?

I am hoping (and believe) it is translucent glass and that you cannot see through it at all - as it is on the regular NCL ships where you have the shower and toilet in their separate rooms but within an enclosed bathroom, but if you look at the pictures it actually looks as if you can see right through the glass for both the shower and the toilet.

That would awful in my opinion. I obviously don't want to see or be seen in the shower or on the toilet.

For the studios, the toilet does appear to be a solid wall, but the shower does appear to be glass.
Old March 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Familiar Face

I totally agree, with what you are saying. I'm hoping that the artist renderings are made to show what everything looks like, but once people get on that there will actually be solid doors on the toilet part and the shower will not be see through.

One interesting story on the threat that I mentioned in my earlier post, someone posted that they were on an NCL ship (can't remember which one) and if they opened the bathroom door right after a shower the steam would set off the smoke alarms and a team of security people would come running to see if everything was okay. I hope that doesn't happen with the new setup on the Epic. A lot of security will be getting to know the passengers way too much.

I guess the best bet is to make sure the bolt is used on the door and to hang the do not disturb sign. If you are rooming with people you don't want to have them get to know you that well, you'll need to arrange "shower" times or some kind of signal so that they know not to walk in at the wrong moment. Though I'm hoping that the privacy curtain will wrap all the way around so that if someone does walk in they won't get an eyefull.
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Keep in mind, that with no single supplement on the studio cabins it wouldn't make much sense for anyone to share those cabins. Traveling with someone, it would be silly not to book a cabin for each person.
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Keep in mind, that with no single supplement on the studio cabins it wouldn't make much sense for anyone to share those cabins. Traveling with someone, it would be silly not to book a cabin for each person.
True, but the layout that is being discussed here - separate shower, toilet and sink is in all cabins, not just the studios.
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Admiral

I actually saw mock ups of several of the "new wave" cabin categories when I was in the shipyard 2 years ago. No doubt from those first mock ups, and after commentary from some of those present on the tour, there were some changes made to the final product, but....

The interiors of the toilet and shower were not clearly visible when you walked in the door. What is quite strange though is having the wash basin and vanity inside the cabin. It may take some getting used to, and I'll have to experience it before I react, but it certainly did make the cabins roomier, or at least seem roomier.
Old March 28th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Good point about not sharing the room - of course that is the strategy now, but was not originally.

I honestly cannot see any reason for these walls to be glass - so Kuki if you say they were solid I say "thank goodness." They obviously do appear to be glass in the pictures, though, and not just in the studio cabins. There are way to show solid walls in renderings. These are the pics on the Epic web site right now.
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Familiar Face

Actually I think the room looks pretty cool, the shower looks like its a frosted type glass, but the window to see the hallway I really like. There is a shade that pulls from left to right, I have outlined in red.

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Admiral

AZ Pilot - you are correxct that in YOUR picture it appears the shower has somewhat frosted glass, but you still see the fixtures inside clearly. It also appears the toilet wall is solid.

The regular inside cabins do not look that way in these renderings.

I have written to NCL to ask for clarity on this topic. I will let you know when they reply.
Old March 29th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Familiar Face

Yea I noticed the fixtures as well so its kinda strange and hard to tell. It will be interesting to see what they come back with as far as there explanation on how that should or really be.

On another note Paul, seen you on FNC yesterday talking about the cruise lines, nice interview.

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old March 29th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Paul...you have been married far too long :::: ::...place yourself in the frame of mind of a single man ( Dave The Wave for example) ::::...Kuki is absolutely correct, you would never book 2 for that room because you could book a regular inside cabin for $40 more...but let's say, DTW has identified a woman of interest that he would like to take on her 1st cruise on the upcoming Halloween CruiseMate group cruise, but she may not feel comfortable about sharing a cabin at this point of the relationship...you book 2 studios ..the romance of the sea plus the magic of the cruisemates and the charm of DTW advances the relationship...at that point, the see thru shower becomes an asset..other functionsare best practiced in one's own studios..DTW could look out his inside window, to make sure she made it back safely to her studio
this has more upsides then down for a single cruise traveler..I'm actually thinking about booking one for the upcoming CM group cruise
Old March 30th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Here are the answers I received from NCL:

Q: I was just looking at the renderings for staterooms on Epic - and in those renderings it appears that the shower and even some toilet walls are glass. Are these renderings accurate in that sense? Or are these solid walls? Also - does the curtain go all the way across the room so it also closes off the shower and toilet, or does it wrap around the shower?

A: The New Wave and Studio staterooms do have frosted glass shower walls. There are no curtains on the showers, or setting off the bathroom areas - the rooms are open, with a completely modern style and design.

Q: Also, I was looking at the deck plans for the Studio staterooms and it appears none of their windows actually look out into the living room (Studio Lounge) - the view through the windows appears to only be the corridor leading to the living room - correct?

A: Correct. The Studio staterooms look out into the corridor leading into the living room. The living room is a public space and set within - but not overlooking the studio guestrooms so guests can enjoy the space without having their sleep or private time interrupted.

Also - do you have more information on the studio lounge, such as the dimensions? Is it two utile stories or just one? On the deck plans and in the rendering there does not seem to be much there, especially upstairs, but it is hard to say. What exactly is in the Studio Lounge for people to do?

A: The Studio Lounge is two-story and is a private lounge where the 128 guests staying in the Studio complex can hang out, read a book, have a drink, order room service, watch TV and meet their neighbors. It provides an extended space to the Studio guest rooms.

Q: Also - what is between some of the studio staterooms such as 11534 and 11526?

A: Back of the house areas

Q: Also - where is the keyed access point for the studio staterooms - is the entire complex of rooms, including the studio staterooms keyed off - or is it just the living room that is keyed off (priority access to studio guests)?

A: The entire complex is accessible by keycard. The access points are near the elevator landings and at the ends of the corridors on decks 11 and 12.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

As usual - the answer is somewhat unclear - the question being whether or not you see through the glass. They say it contains frosted glass on the shower - no mention of the toilet.

Now you have an idea of how hard my job actually is - I ask questions of cruise lines and I am lucky if I get an answer, and when I do get an answer I an lucky if it has the information I really need. Needless to say, I am a little frustrated about this process - I have found certain cruise lines to be a bit "dodgy" about answering questions lately.

What about the toilets? Are they glass and can you see through this glass at all? It appears like see-through in the renderings for both the shower and toilet. Is that just an effect of the rendering?

Plus I would really like more details on the Studio Lounge than what has already been said - how big and utile is it really? This was originally designed for dbl oc. meaning 256 people. Is there a bar there with a bartender, or some other easy way to get adult beverages other than room service? I am just surprised how small it appears to be on the deck plans - seems somewhat claustrophobic and useless. Maybe the idea is not to have people using it so much if you can't get a beer there without ordering room service. This idea seemed like a real drawing point to me, but now my thoughts are that it will probably be mostly empty most of the time and certainly not really a gathering place for these singles.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Paul..thanks for trying to obtain more information that would be helpful for someone thinking about booking a studio..if all else fails, I will gladly sacrifice (at CM expense) to go on the first cruise and report back on a daily basis including pictures to answer the question about the showers and toilet ::::

on a serious note, do we have any cruisemates on the first cruise that are booked in a studio ?
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Venice...

I am currently booked in one for the transatlantic.

NCL had offered to fly me to Miami on July 8 originally for one of their two press gatherings onboard, but there is a passenger transatlantic cruise long before that, leaving June 24. That is what they have planned for all the regular media, but I think as a "cruise news web site" obviously I really need to be there earlier.

I asked to be placed on the transatlantic (they said they are hostintg international media) and they said no, so I bought my own passage in one of the last remaining studios on sale.
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Passenger

I'm Sailing July 24th.I'm the girl they designed these cabins for.Cruisin solo.Don't plan on spending a lot of time in the cabin.Guess if I was bringing someone with me I would get a bigger cabin.(then it wouldn't be a vacation.(lol)
Old March 30th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Cruisin' Single - I am very happy you contacted me (um... I am married, just to be clear) but I will definitely be looking to get your impressions of the ship so I hope we can talk onboard.

That goes for all singles or otherwise who may be in these staterooms and on the ship in general - I will be there to cover this story for all of our single readers and others, so I want to hear from all of you.
Old March 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Paul..does your charming wife know what a great sacrificeyou are making on behalf of all us single cruisemates ::
Old March 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman
Default Studio

Certainly an interesting concept. Looking forward to the reports. I was going to book a studio for the CM cruise, but found the price too dear for what I think you get. I'll see how others feel about them.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

no, I haven't told her yet

Just kidding - she knows I am going, she actually trusts me! She figures thst since i want loooovemakin' with her all the time how could I possibly be satified with anyone else?
Old April 1st, 2010, 02:48 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
no, I haven't told her yet

Just kidding - she knows I am going, she actually trusts me! She figures thst since i want loooovemakin' with her all the time how could I possibly be satified with anyone else?
Actually I'll be sailing on July 24th,you will be sailing on June 24th.I am looking foward to comparing notes on the EPIC.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I got the final word from NCL that these showers and toilets have frosted glass so you cannot see through the glass with any kind of detail.

That means the renderings are not accurate which is unfortunate for NCL - because it is probably leading a lot of people to the wrong conclusions.
Old April 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
Beginner

I originally booked the studio for both me and my husband before they made the announcement that it was for singles. We were very interested in the concept of the shared living area. We were called and offered a free upgrade to a regular inside cabin. We were told that with the beds together the closet doesn't open. Closet space was the main thing we were worried about so we moved.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Admiral

It looks to me like if the beds are apart the closet doesn't open - yet another reason to makese cabins for singles only (or couples) but not for two singles sharing a cabin as it was sort of assumed these cabins would be used for.
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Admiral

kinda reminds me of our first hotel room in Hong Kong many years ago or even our room at the Gatwick Hilton.. or maybe the travel trainer my parents and I took on vacation way back when..We had no bathroom and there were 3 kids traveling as well as mom and dad..

I can't wait for some of you to come back and report..
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
It looks to me like if the beds are apart the closet doesn't open - yet another reason to makese cabins for singles only (or couples) but not for two singles sharing a cabin as it was sort of assumed these cabins would be used for.
Sometimes the best innovations are an accident.

Studio cabins could be the cruise industry's penicillin
Old April 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

They do remind me of single rooms in old European hotels.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old June 28th, 2010, 09:53 AM
First Mate

I think that a few cabins in all ships should be reserved for singles without the suppliment charge. If this can be done on the Epic, then offer it on every ship.

It is difficult for many people to pay almost double fare.

Barb