Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Norwegian or Royal Carribean?

Hello Everyone, We will soon be booking another cruise and are thinking about trying the Norwegian Sun eastern carribean.We were on Liberty of the Seas this winter which was awesome and Carnival last year that was not bad but not as good as RC. Norwegion has the Free style cruise concept and is cheaper than RC.Some reviews for Norwegion are good and some bad.

Any Advice appreciated

Thanks

SSD
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Admiral

No advice, but I will be on the Sun late next year doing the Southern Caribbean. If you book this ship I'd be interested to know about the experience. If you ask me, any cruise is a good cruise.
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I have not sailed on NCL yet, but will be in June on the Pearl to Alaska. My first cruise was on RCCL on the Legend of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera. Being my first cruise experience, it was awe inspiring to me, and everything about the cruise was great from the food to the service, stateroom, activities etc. I have done extensive research on all cruise lines for the last 5 months or so, and I must say the Freestyle concept is intriguing to me. It seems to fit what I want with the dine where and when you want, "Dress Up or Not" nights and the ability to wear jeans to the dining rooms, the color schemes of the ship. If the itinerary seems to fit, and the price is right, I say go for it with NCL. On most of the cruise boards you will find a few bad reviews about NCL, same with RCCL but by and large you will find most of them are positive with great experiences. I am convinced that some people just cannot be pleased no matter how high the service level is, how beautiful the ship is, how great the staff can be. By the mere fact that we can go on a cruise and enjoy hundreds of millions of dollars of ship technology for a comparatively low price, still amazes me. I tend to look at the middle of the road reviews as what I rely on, being more realistic, because we know there are many drama queens/kings out there who seem to take everything in life to the extreme, including ship reviews. Just MHO, and hope you have a great time no matter what you choose.
Old March 17th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ncl Ships

I have been on the Ncl Pearl and the Dawn. The sun is the same size of ship.
I have had alot of fun, food and entertainment with Ncl. Here are some things that are different from Rccl and Carnival. There are 12 choices of resturants on the ship but you have only paid for four of them in your cruise price. They really want you to try the "pay" resturants. The buffet is really good. Also three times as large as Rccl buffet on there smaller ships.
And the selection of different foods are great. Desserts and warm cookies too
I really like that they have "heated" pools. It takes till noon or so for the pool water to get over 80 degrees but it gets there. I have frozen in many Rccl pools. I head to the hot tubs in that case. I also find the staterooms are very roomy. As for entertainment I don't really think it was 5 star but I don't remember it being bad. Have a great cruise.
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophySeaDog View Post
Hello Everyone, We will soon be booking another cruise and are thinking about trying the Norwegian Sun eastern carribean.We were on Liberty of the Seas this winter which was awesome and Carnival last year that was not bad but not as good as RC. Norwegion has the Free style cruise concept and is cheaper than RC.Some reviews for Norwegion are good and some bad.

Any Advice appreciated

Thanks

SSD
you are going to get good and bad reviews on every single line. I do not think there are 2 lines out there that mirror each other as much as NCL and RCI, depending on the ship and class.

The Sun is a little smaller than most of the NCL ships, but certainly not tiny. She happens to be one, if not, my favorite NCL ship and I have been on most of them. I give the nod to NCL because of cost and they really know how to do the freestyle dining. Every line has something they do better than other, NCL does the dinner thing better, plus the dining choices, both free and sur charge are better on NCL> As for the cabins, the lines have similar sized cabins and the entertainment is about equal.

Nita
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Familiar Face

I think we are going NCL, Thanks to all for the Tips!!!

Lee
Old March 18th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Admiral

I bet you will be happy with your choice.
Old March 18th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Familiar Face

Location: Quartzsite Arizona(winter) Ontario Canada(our real home)

we were just on the NCL Star in a penthouse with balcony, new suites on deck 12. I would book these again in a heartbeat! Room was superb, huge bathroom, loads of storage, about 409sq ft. balcony was 8x8 with 3 wicker chairs. service was top notch.We had a butler who brought the best canapes and cookies every afternoon.We did the Mexican Riviera and had a wonderful cruise. Years ago we were on the Sun, ;balcony rooms a a bit larger on the Sun than the Star,but just as nice. I like the great outdoors cafe on the Sun, The tar didn't have one like that. Buffet was good, large selection including Indian foods. Cagney's is to die for!! Its way about any local restaurant we have in our small hometown. It may cost 25.00 per person, but well worth the price.As suite guests, we had breakfast and lunch most days in Cagneys, what a great perk!! Dona
Old May 30th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Familiar Face

It depends upon what you like. My two-week cruise on the Norwegian Sun last year was the best I have ever taken, and it spoiled me for anything other than NCL because I like its free-style: eat when/where you wish and casual clothing always acceptable. I subsequently made the mistake of going on RCI's Voyager of the Seas, which I will never do again. The food available in the cafeteria on formal nights was distinctly inferior, so I was cheated of part of my fare for being one of the few not wishing to dress for dinner. Among many other negatives for me, including having no library worthy of the name and an extremely poor movie theater, the worst was having only Fox News available on the TV, indicating that RCI caters to social/political/religious conservatives, fine for them, not acceptable to me. (My review of the cruise was published in International Travel News.)
Old June 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Well, I am a true NCL loyalist even though I have cruised on all mass marketed lines so I do want to say I am slightly prejudice on the subject. That being said, the Sun is my favorite ship, period, not just my favorite NCL ship. She is the perfect size, her cabins are nice sized and the crew is super friendly. we will be cruising her for the 3rd time (eastern Caribbean) in Feb. The food is good, but no cruise line has the quality of food they did years ago. I think NCL has better food, especially the buffets than RCI, but food is so subjective. The choice of specialty dining rooms make it fun. No one has to plan on eating in extra charge dining rooms; it is just nice to know they are available. One of our favorite places to enjoy a little food and drink is Las Rambles, it is a bar that has tapas every evening and you can just about make a meal out of the tapas. (no charge) I will add, the ship isn't as glitzy as some ships.

I just noticed, I had already responded to the question: oh well I did it again.

Nita
Old June 10th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Gosh, I can't wait for my cruise! I've got another 17 months to go!
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Familiar Face

Wink

I think I've sailed on my last NCL cruise. The negatives far outweigh the positives (in my experience). We could have cruised NCL for just 2 grand next spring break (for 4) but had such a bad experience this past spring break (sailed the NCL Spirit in March) that it's not worth the savings of a few hundred dollars...well more like $800 difference for spring break next year but I seriously doubt I will be disappointed in my choice of lines, though it will be my first time sailing Royal Caribbean. Only time will tell. I may be kicking myself for not booking another Carnival now that I'm platinum status, but I enjoy experiencing other lines and I could just as well make diamond status with RCCL one day...and I'll get there...one cruise at a time...

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old June 19th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Familiar Face

Hello Everyone, We booked a seven night on the Epic this January, We did Carnival twice and RC last year. We found the Liberty of the seas to be a great experience but soon got tired of the Mall layout.Thanks for all of your points of view, both Pro & Con, We will let you know what we think.

SSD