Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question NCL Star-Port Food, Drink, Immunization Concerns

We are cruising on the Norwegian Star next month and our ports are Belize City, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

I am a first time cruiser and we are trying to decide whether or not to have the typhoid fever vaccine and take the malaria pills. My husband has travelled to Mexico several times with no issues and has never been vaccinated, so he's thinking it's not necessary. But my concern is how safe is the food and water at the restaurants near the port at at the excursion locations.

I've checked with our local Health Dept and both recommend the vaccines, but then again they stand to make money. The NCL excursion dept. says no need to worry and no vaccines necessary, so...

I've heard the "don't drink the water" horror stories and understand the reasons, but how do we know if it's filtered. And how do we know if the food is safe?

Anyone have any advise they wouldn't mind sharing to ease my mind? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key West Chick View Post
We are cruising on the Norwegian Star next month and our ports are Belize City, Roatan, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

I am a first time cruiser and we are trying to decide whether or not to have the typhoid fever vaccine and take the malaria pills. My husband has travelled to Mexico several times with no issues and has never been vaccinated, so he's thinking it's not necessary. But my concern is how safe is the food and water at the restaurants near the port at at the excursion locations.

I've checked with our local Health Dept and both recommend the vaccines, but then again they stand to make money. The NCL excursion dept. says no need to worry and no vaccines necessary, so...

I've heard the "don't drink the water" horror stories and understand the reasons, but how do we know if it's filtered. And how do we know if the food is safe?

Anyone have any advise they wouldn't mind sharing to ease my mind? Thanks!
The final decision regarding your health and immunizations are up to you and your physician.

When traveling in ANY foreign country you should always only drink bottled water and avoid raw food. Thin skinned fruits and vegetables (grapes, apples, etc should never be eaten raw) Thick skinned fruits such as bananas, oranges, lemons and limes are almost always OK.

The worst case of food born illness I ever had was in Helsinki, Finland and it came from a regular restaurant. Finland is not the third world.

I have eaten from many street food vendors in all parts of the world and have never had a problem. I stay away from raw foods and avoid restaurants that are empty. I broke that rule in Helsinki and paid the price.

Go and enjoy yourself.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me