Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Admiral

Default Balcony difference

I've never cruised Norwegian before so I have a question about the different type balconies. What is the different between a regular balcony and a family balcony? I don't see information on the website to tell the difference. Thanks.

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old March 18th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Admiral

It's not so much the balconies that are different, its the cabins. A Family Balcony Cabin accommodates four people. A regular balcony cabin accommodates three.
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Ok, thanks. It's just two of us so a regular one will work. I have also noticed in some of the online pictures that the TV's are real dinky! Is this the norm on Norwegian? Sorry, one more question. What are all the dining options besides the main dining room? Are there buffet's? Deli's? Our cruise experience has been on carnival and I like all the options they have but I haven't found out much about Norwegian. I still haven't decided between the two lines, just looking at options. My awesome boss told me to book myself a cruise with the company credit card and suggested Norwegian.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 18th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Which ship are you looking at cruising on? Some have more dining options than others. They all have a buffet restaurant and main dining rooms, but Norwegian is the industry leader on extra-fee dining venues so their ships also have several places where you pay to eat - not that you have to do so but they are quite popular.

I had a 26" flat screen TV in my studio cabin on Norwegian Getaway last month. I believe that is the size they use in most regular cabins, with larger screens in suites.
Old March 18th, 2014, 10:39 PM
Admiral

One is the Sun and the other the Dawn. Does the extra fee charges vary from place to place?

Need some cruise help?
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Admiral

Extra-fee dining can be ala carte or a flat fee. The fees do vary depending on the dining venue. If you go to the Norwegian website and look at the particular ships info, you will find details about the complimentary and specialty dining choices each ship has, as well as any prices. For example, here is the Dawn complimentary dining. Here is the Dawn extra-fee dining.
Old March 19th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Admiral

Dave, thanks for that information, it helps a lot. It looks like most of the extra fee places are really places we wouldn't eat at anyway. All of the complimentary ones sound just fine. You have been a big help.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 19th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I've only been on the Gem and Epic, but, if those ships have Shaghai and the Noodle Bar..we adored their Chinese food. prices are not bab....and if they have the free, O'Sheehan's Pub....get the chicken tenders..this place is awesome!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 19th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Admiral

I'm having a debate with myself over Norwegian or Carnival and it might come down to ports of call. I would like to go someplace we haven't been yet. We've done 3 with Carnival and have always been happy with the experience but I thought maybe we would try a different cruise line. That's why I'm getting info on Norwegian. Departure ports are important also. We don't want to have to fly anywhere so I have to look at what is a short driving distance for us.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 26th, 2014, 12:06 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw View Post
I'm having a debate with myself over Norwegian or Carnival and it might come down to ports of call. I would like to go someplace we haven't been yet. We've done 3 with Carnival and have always been happy with the experience but I thought maybe we would try a different cruise line. That's why I'm getting info on Norwegian. Departure ports are important also. We don't want to have to fly anywhere so I have to look at what is a short driving distance for us.
I hate to sound like a Rah, Rah Cheerleader for NCl, , but we love cruising with NCL. Many of the others are too formal and structured for us. We have been on all of the mainstream lines and NCL is our favorite by far! I understand what you are saying about itinerary. Hopefully you can give NCL a try sometime. Wish we lived in Florida so we could be close to 3 or 4 cruise ports.. NCL has cruises out of Miami, Tampa and Port Canaveral. Have fun planning!
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Admiral

We ended up booking our cruise on the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska in September. We have never been on Norwegian or to Alaska and this may be our only chance to go. My wonderful boss has given us enough money to cover almost all of the cabin. (I've been here 25 years so I guess this is a loyalty bonus) So this was our opportunity otherwise we couldn't have done it with having to pay airfare, extra nights in hotels, etc.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Nice 25 year bonus! My wife received a TV.

Have fun and enjoy the cruise. Just budget for the additional charges on NCL. I think you will enjoy the cruise more if you do partake in a couple of the alternative restaurants. Cagney's and Moderno are my favorites.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 26th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Admiral

Mike, I was completely shocked when he told me to "book a cruise for yourself". It is so out of character for him because he's the type that hardly says anything to me. Maybe he's been watching Undercover Boss!

Need some cruise help?
Old April 18th, 2014, 08:59 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanamaw View Post
We ended up booking our cruise on the Norwegian Jewel to Alaska in September. We have never been on Norwegian or to Alaska and this may be our only chance to go. My wonderful boss has given us enough money to cover almost all of the cabin. (I've been here 25 years so I guess this is a loyalty bonus) So this was our opportunity otherwise we couldn't have done it with having to pay airfare, extra nights in hotels, etc.
We've done the Alaska inside passage twice, by far our favorites. Unfortuntely the cost to get to the port (ususally flying in the day before and staying in a hotel) sometimes exceeds the cost of the cruise. For cruising, living in the center of the country does have it's disadvantages that's why we're going out of Houston this time since we can drive down the day before. Enjoy Alaska, it's a great place to visit.
NCL Star- Alaska Aug 2009
NCL Sky- Bahamas Dec 2010
NCL Star- W Caribbean Jan 2013