Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2014, 09:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default suite life

I will be leaving soon for a bermuda cruise in a suite. this is my first time cruising in this type of room. what should I expect and how much should I tip the butler.
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Which ship? Will it be a Haven suite?

I believe the butlers get a cut of the $12 daily service charge the cruise line adds to your onboard account, but I think an additional gratuity of $5 per person per day for the butler is typical. And with that, don't consider things like having dinner served in the cabin as a special service. I look at that as a normal duty for the butler.
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:37 PM
First Mate

Default Suite Life

Dave, on NCL, do the Butlers share part of the tip money with the rest of the crew?

Next Up NCL Jade
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Admiral

I have no idea but imagine they have some arrangement about pooling, perhaps just among the butlers since I'm sure the amounts vary widely each week since there is no guideline for tipping butlers.
Old August 31st, 2014, 04:29 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Which ship? Will it be a Haven suite?

I believe the butlers get a cut of the $12 daily service charge the cruise line adds to your onboard account, but I think an additional gratuity of $5 per person per day for the butler is typical. And with that, don't consider things like having dinner served in the cabin as a special service. I look at that as a normal duty for the butler.
If you are talking about NCL, the butlers are NOT part of the Daily Service Charge pool which goes toward compensation for all cabin stewards, servers and behind the scenes personnel we never see.

Butlers presumably receive a higher base pay, but I doubt any of us would consider it a living wage compared to US standards. Anything extra must be paid out of our pockets. We usually tip the room steward an extra $5 per person per day at the end of the cruise, and the butler around $10 per person per day. But, some suite passengers tip much more, depending on how much you use them, how attentive, etc. Of course the concierge is not in the DSC pool either.

Butlers on NCL will serve in room dinners every night if you wish, white tablecloth, course by course with wine; breakfasts; bring daily afternoon snacks; bring special treats for the kids; and anything else you can think of which is within their power to grant.

I have a lot of admiration for the sacrifice they make, leaving their families behind for months at a time, working 12+ hour days, 7 days a week in order to give their families a better life. I would never dream of not tipping them at the end of the cruise.

Last edited by Travelbuggs; August 31st, 2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old August 31st, 2014, 06:17 PM
Admiral

The few times we've had a butler (all on Celebrity) we really didn't use him at all. Of course they had a recommended amount to tip them, which he still got from us. It would make things easier if Norwegian would have a suggested amount posted someplace, so at least suite guests know a minimum.

But anyway, shortcake, it looks like something in the range of $5 to $10 per person per day is appropriate.
Old September 4th, 2014, 08:07 AM
First Mate

Thanks for the info Dave and Travelbuggs

Next Up NCL Jade