Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Default The GOP's Latest Anti-Obamacare Talking Point Just Went Down In Flames

AP
Last week, the Republican-led House Committee on Energy and Commerce released information claiming only 67% of enrollees in insurance exchanges established by the Affordable Care Act made their first premium payment. The data was paraded around as a talking point ahead of the Obama administration's final release of stats from the law's first open enrollment period.

On Wednesday, that talking point blew up.

Three of the country's largest insurers Aetna, WellPoint, and Health Care Service Corp., which operates Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in several states said between 80-90% of new customers who enrolled through Obamacare paid their first month's premiums. Executives from the companies announced the news in testimony before the very same House Committee on Energy and Commerce where Republicans touted the contrary data last week.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gops-l...213658327.html
Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Captain

Default Information for several states does not cover USA statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
AP
Last week, the Republican-led House Committee on Energy and Commerce released information claiming only 67% of enrollees in insurance exchanges established by the Affordable Care Act made their first premium payment. The data was paraded around as a talking point ahead of the Obama administration's final release of stats from the law's first open enrollment period.

On Wednesday, that talking point blew up.

Three of the country's largest insurers Aetna, WellPoint, and Health Care Service Corp., which operates Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in several states said between 80-90% of new customers who enrolled through Obamacare paid their first month's premiums. Executives from the companies announced the news in testimony before the very same House Committee on Energy and Commerce where Republicans touted the contrary data last week.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gops-l...213658327.html
The information quoted said that "the three insurance companies operate in several states." In other words the data provided covers only those states
where the companies operate. This data is not necessarily applicable to all of the United States. If this is true then it is possible that the data provided by the Republicans is accurate. I would like to see the Administration provide the information about who has paid the premium or not. It seems that the administration should want to provide this information especially since this
president seems to have a credibility problem and confidence in this man and his administration have declined significantly.
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Admiral

what's wrong with the Republicans showing theirs? Put up or shut up I say to them.

this is America - innocence is assumed.

More than this is a coincidence as elections are coming up. Just another political ploy.

The reality is the Republican party has no agenda other than to try to discredit Democrats.

The republican party is still in shambles and disarray and learned nothing from the last election. They are doomed to repeat their failures.
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:46 AM
Admiral

Not applicable to all states? In what state(s) is there not Blue Cross/ Blues Shield? Hint: NONE.
Old May 9th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Captain

Default "Several states" do not make the United States.

Quote:
Not applicable to all states? In what state(s) is there not Blue Cross/ Blues Shield? Hint: NONE.
Read the quote supplied by you.

Three of the country's largest insurers Aetna, WellPoint, and Health Care Service Corp., which operates Blue Cross Blue Shield plans in several states said between 80-90% of new customers who enrolled through

It says "several states." The credibility of the statement is suspect. Generalizations cannot be applied to the United States as a whole from a suspect statment. I'll wait for the administration to come out with their numbers.
Old May 9th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Admiral

And the republican numbers were pulled out from where?

Speaking for myself, I started to sign up in one state, never completed, and switched to a different state. I pay premiums in one state but the other was still sending premium notices for some time. I don't really see the need to waste money auditing something that is obviously good for the country.

What I do know is that I now have insurance and if not for President Obama, I wouldn't.
Old May 9th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Captain

Default Glad you have insurance wait until you see next year's bill

Quote:

Speaking for myself, I started to sign up in one state, never completed, and switched to a different state. I pay premiums in one state but the other was still sending premium notices for some time. I don't really see the need to waste money auditing something that is obviously good for the country.

What I do know is that I now have insurance and if not for President Obama, I wouldn't.
Right now the insurance companies are trying to wrap there arms around what the total numbers are so that they can establish the rates for next year. The early predictions are that the premiums will jump considerably. This is the reason that the administration wanted young healthy people in the program to pay the premiums and not make a demand on the health system.
Early indications are that the administration plan didn't work and they got a lot of older people who will put a significant demand on the health system.

The administration doesn't seem to be to interested in finding out who has paid premiums and what percentage of the persons joining insurance plans are young. I personally wonder if they are stonewalling.
Old May 9th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Familiar Face

It's great that it works for you. Many people had their policies cancelled (which the President stated wouldn't happen). They saw their insurance premiums double or triple. Also anyone making over $250,000 has to pay additional tax to cover the costs of the new Health act. To force an entire nation to get coverage sets a terrible precedent.

Quote:

Old May 9th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Familiar Face

To answer your question: Aetna serves all 50; Wellpoint is only in 14 states and HCSC is in 5 states. Hint: I wouldn't take what AP or any media states as facts. Do your own research and come up with your own conclusion.

Quote:
Old May 10th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Admiral

I wouldn't believe any politician but especially those with certain affiliations.

People who lost coverage lost substandard coverage. Besides, they were allowed to keep existing coverage for an extra year or two. First insurance needs to be available to all. That's how it is in civilized parts of the world.

Health care is yet another area where the US is the laughing stock of the rest of the world. They don't understand how some care so little for our citizens.

If the healthcare reform perfect? No, but if you take the republican stance, it wouldn't exist at all. It would be buried in committee after committee for years. If they had not deliberately tried to sabotage what the people wanted and what they voted for, it would have been better. Instead of trying to improve it, they think they can repeal it. They never will. It is here to stay.

On another note, as we all know, unemployment is steadily dropping and many companies offer benefits including group insurance. It is another reason why some would not make, or need to make, premium payments.

Group insurance is what we need for the entire country.
Old May 10th, 2014, 06:33 AM
Captain

Default Three companies don't make the insurance industry

I forgot one important point that three companies don't make an industry so you can't make conclusions based on such limited information.

As to healthcare for the entire nation. Let's go back to the basics as the Republicans want to do and construct a system that is based on sound economics.
Old May 10th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Admiral

The republicans want nothing to do with progress in this country. Their entire platform revolves around the rich getting richer and keeping the poor in the gutter. They had plenty of opportunities in the past to tackle healthcare and they accomplished nothing - something they excel at.

They had the opportunity to participate in the crafting of Obama's vision, but tried to sabotage it at every opportunity.

Fool me once, republicans...
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Captain

Default VA insurance companies increasing 2015 rates

WSJ reported that Virginia insurance companies are increasing their rates for next year. Shades of the future maybe.
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Admiral

My insurance rates went DOWN this year.
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:54 PM
Admiral

Default Why would anyone vote for this guy?

"I'm running for reelection, I expect to be speaker," Boehner said, although he would not commit to serving out a full term.

John Boehner Says He's Running For Reelection, Expects To Be Speaker

What's with Republicans and quitting? First Sarah Palin and now Orangeman?
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Captain

Default You're rates may have gone down in 2014, but VA rates are going up in 2015

Quote:
My insurance rates went DOWN this year.
In other words, to make my point perfectly clear. Virginia insurance companies are raising rates in 2015. If you live in Virginia, your rates are going to go up even though they went down in 2014. If you live in other parts of the USA you may or may not have rate increases but it is likely that you will unless you are on state aid or some other kind of government program.
Old May 12th, 2014, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
In other words, to make my point perfectly clear. Virginia insurance companies are raising rates in 2015. If you live in Virginia, your rates are going to go up even though they went down in 2014. If you live in other parts of the USA you may or may not have rate increases but it is likely that you will unless you are on state aid or some other kind of government program.
If on a subsidy are they really? If on a subsidy, rates are capped as a percentage of income.
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
"I'm running for reelection, I expect to be speaker," Boehner said, although he would not commit to serving out a full term.

John Boehner Says He's Running For Reelection, Expects To Be Speaker

What's with Republicans and quitting? First Sarah Palin and now Orangeman?
Was spoosed to be a new thread and now can't edit. Oh well...