Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Ronwiz

Default Clothes for Alaska

My wife and I are booked on the Star Princess for the inside passage cruise to Alaska on Sept 6. Neither of us have been to Alaska and were wondering what clothes to bring for that time of the year. I would guess the shore excursions would be blue jeans. Any advice would be appreciated and hopefully result in lighter suitcases.
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Clothes for Alaska

The key to dressing for Alaska is to layer clothes. Don't bring the bulky outerwear, but bring clothes that can easily be layered on AND off! Shoes that you don't mind getting wet, a rain poncho (cheap) or umbrella if you feel like holding one, gloves for your hands (when you are cruising near the glaciers it is cold, especially early and late in the season.) A hat or band for covering your ears also when near the glaciers.

Old May 27th, 2003, 04:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Ronwiz,
Yes, totally agree with Lisa's reply. I did wear jeans during the day, they worked fine for me, we even had 2 afternoon's that I could wear shorts out on deck. We were in Alaska the first week in Sept and were very lucky, with just one port (Juneau) that rained after we did the whale watching with Capt. Larry, so we were very happy. We still managed to walk through town and stop at the Red Dog Saloon, must stop in for at least one drink. Found that most of the shops did sell the rain poncho's too, but I brought some waterproof jackets and they worked good too. Pack t-shirts and sweat shirts and a decent jacket.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Yeoman

I agree with them about the layers. But, depending on where you are from, you might want to consider a warm jacket. We just returned and the temp stayed in the low to mid forites with a constant cold wind. We're from the deep South and that is colder than our normal winter day. I described our experiences on Alaska board titled "A Southerner's perspedtive of last week's weather."
Linda
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Admiral

Ronwiz,

I also agree about the layers -- definitely bring a couple sweaters or sweatshirts, long pants, a waterproof light jacket, a waterproof fall/winter jacket, and a pair of warm (lined) gloves. Temperatures in the inside passage may be as low as the 40's during the day, and perhaps even colder if you hit an unfortunate cold snap or if you are doing the glacer excursions.

My guess is that you won't have much use for shorts unless you are taking a cruise-tour that goes to Denali and Fairbanks.

Norm.
Old June 9th, 2003, 11:06 AM
Delores

We went last Sept. 8, & a jogging suit w/sweatshirt & turtleneck underneath was warm enough while at the glacier. But don't forget the gloves & hat; I had to run back to cabin & get mine. Is was too cold without it. It was COLD at the glacier!! We only had sprinkles the day we were at Skagway, altho is was raining when we cruised out of Vancouver.
Old June 12th, 2003, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

We just got back (6/1-6/8) and never needed more than a sweater and windbreaked. Temps in alaska were 52-65 daytimes. Its currently the same or slightly lower her in chicago,
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:05 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Clothes for Alaska

HI, WE ARE GOING ON JULY 12. WE ARE TAKING THE HELICOPTER EXCURSION TO LAND ON A GALCIER. DID YOU DO THAT? IF SO, DO WE NEED HAT & GLOVES?
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Re: Clothes for Alaska

Hi Emma,
Yep, you'll need a hat and gloves when going on the glacier, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 21st, 2003, 08:39 AM
Beginner

I was on the Star last August 30 thru September 07, 2002. The temperature was
around 52 during the day except for the heat wave(60) in Juneau. I wore a medium
weight jacket and when speedwalking I wore just a light warm up jacket. On the whale
watching tour in Juneau it was a little chilly on the boat. Since it rained only one day
I didn't need raingear. I am also going back to Alaska on September 06 of this year.
I don't think I will be so lucky with the rain this time. I live on the East Coast and we
have received so much rain I feel like I am in Seattle. If you haven't been on the
Star you are in for a treat. I won my first Star cruise and am hooked for life.