Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Passenger

Default Question for anyone who has been on Diamond Princess to Alas

For anyone who has been on the Diamond Princess from Seattle to Alaska. Is there scenery all the time? Or are there parts where land is not visible?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Shelly U.

Default Re: Question for anyone who has been on Diamond Princess to

This ship does the Inner Passage Tour. I went from May 15th-May 22nd. Overall, I would recommend you stay away from this ship for a couple years. The crew (especially the purser's desk) is very rude, and very unorganized. Up until Friday, I wasn't very impressed and that didn't even count the scenic look we got to see of a Concrete Pier in Victoria that the Captain and Harbor Pilot managed to HIT with the ship...

http://www.canada.com/victoria/times...D-058D9C2EE956

As far as scenery, other than the ports, there isn't much. Tracy Arm was pretty, but you'd be better off going on the Glacier Bay tour.
Old May 25th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Steve,

There are times when land is not visible - mainly the day at sea on the way to Juneau and between some of the ports.

Shelly, I was on the same cruise as you, and even though I would agree that things didn't go as smoothly as they could have, I was still rather impressed by the cruise. Overall I still had a great time and think those little bumps made the vacation even more memorable and unique!

All the best,
-Ed
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Shelly U.

Default Re: Re: Question for anyone who has been on Diamond Princess

Steve,

Ed is right about the scenery. The first full day at sea, you don't see much because they are taking the fastest way up to Juneau. After that, you are pretty much in sight of land. On clear days, the view is beautiful. I'd say that about 70% of the time, the weather was nice for us. Plus another thing is that sunset was at 9:40pm and sunrise is around 4:30am. So there's a LOT more daylight.

Ed,

I'd agree that the day in Victoria definately made the trip memorable. I actually thought it was pretty funny. Except for the part that Princess didn't want to have anything to do with re-booking flights that weren't already booked through them. I'll be submitting the receipts for my new flights to them, and if they do the right thing and pay me back for the tickets, then yes, I will be impressed and probably cruise with them again. If not...

For the most part, I enjoyed the cruise, but I do think that the Diamond could use some more time to get better organized and to learn how to work better under pressure. After reading some reviews on this web site, the ship seems to have a tendency of getting back to port late and causing Embarking / Disembarking delays that could be avoided if they would just get back on time...not to mention all of the flights that get missed by those who get off of the ship late. I think that after another year or so, they should be more experienced as a crew and the overall cruise experience would be better for those who go on this ship.

Shelly
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:09 PM
SueBee

Hey, you guys,

Since I was on that cruise with you, let me ask: did either of you keep the letter from the captain explaining about our late arrival in Seattle due to the high winds? TravelGuard needs a "Proof of Reason" document from Princess to process my claim, and I didn't know the letter was that important.

If you have it, would it be possible to scan it and send me a copy?

TIA,
Sue
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:03 PM
Passenger

The route for ships out of Seattle is actually NOT the Inside Passage.

The Inside Passage is the body of water that is between Vancouver Island and the mainland, as well as Queen Charlotte Islands (and other island chains) and the mainland. The most scenic part of this route is Johnston Strait, where the land is precipitous and close to the ship on both sides, and where pods of killer whales are most frequently seen. Ships out of Vancouver go up this way because it is the handiest and because shipping regulations allow them to remain in Canadian waters for longer since they embarked at a Canadian port.

The route that ships out of Seattle take is around the west side of Vancouver Island. Many people report that this is not as scenic; land very far from ship, etc. Also, people have reported that there is more ocean roll because it's open water. Because Seatlle sailings must add a few hours' time onto the route, going straight up without going through the Inside Passage means they can put the pedal to the metal, as it were.

When my husband and I did Inside Passage last year on Radiance, Johnston Strait was definitely the highlight of the trip, both coming and going. The wildlife through there was non-stop. If cruise lines are marketing cruises out of Seattle as "Inside Passage," don't believe them!

Radiance of the Seas
Old May 25th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Shelly U.

Sue,

I didn't know it was important either. I threw it away on the ship. But I second that...if anyone can scan it and post it on the Picture Gallery, it would be greatly appreciated...

Shelly
Old May 25th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Beginner

Shelly,

I can understand your frustration, and I guess that's always the risk you take when booking flights by yourself (and not through the cruise company). Luckily, we booked ours for the day before/day after the length of the cruise, so the delay didn't affect us. It seemed to me like a pretty extreme "just in case" precaution but in the end I'm really glad we went that way!

I would agree though that the crew/staff did seem a little disorganized often, especially when we were embarking on the 15th and when we were disembarking in Juneau.. but they did seem to improve things after that (except for Victoria of course )

I might have that note somewhere still and I'll have a look through my stuff as soon as I can. If I find it, I'd be happy to scan it for the two of you.

All the best,
-Ed
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Tom and Darlene

Darn.. I hope they get it right by August 28!!
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:08 PM
SueBee

Default Re: Re: Re: Question for anyone who has been on Diamond Prin

Hi Shelly,

Someone on Cruise Critics made a .pdf file of the letter and e-mailed it to me, so I have e-mailed it to you.

Anybody else who needs it, just let me know!

Sue
Old May 27th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Shelly U.

Sue,

Thank you very much for that. I still hope to get reimbursed from Princess...but if all else fails, I'll end up going through our Traveler's Insurance and will need that letter.

Thanks again,
Shelly
Old May 27th, 2004, 04:10 PM
chilidog

I'm on the 6/13 Sapphire inside passage trip. This is my very first cruise so I really don't want to be disappointed. The scenery is the reason we're taking a cruise to Alaska. Will the scenery be lacking?
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:35 PM
SueBee

That is probably the one thing you WON'T be disappointed with. Alaska embodies immense, spectacular, and beautiful. This was my first-ever vacation where I literally just sat and watched and soaked in the scenery with nothing to distract. . . no reading, no listening to books on tape, not a lot of conversation, just being still and letting my emotional tank get refilled through taking in God's gorgeous handiwork.

Our disappointment came from not seeing much in the way of wildlife. (That was a drawback of going in mid-May I didn't fully realize.) But if your priority is the scenery, you're going to the right place!

I do think your enjoyment will be enhanced if you do some reading about Alaska in advance so you know what you're looking at. Read up on glaciers and how they form what you'll be seeing. For example, when you see mountains with smooth, rounded tops, you know they were once covered by and ground down by moving glaciers. Mountains with jagged, pointed tops were higher than the level of the glaciers. You'll see some of both at the same time in many places. And know that the glaciers dug down DEEP as well, producing the fjords. It's amazing to sail past 4000-foot high mountains knowing you're in water that's up to 4,000 feet DEEP! Those kinds of facts really helped me enjoy the scenery even more.

Hope this helps!

Sue
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Mookie

I was supposted to be at the Princess Diamond 5/21-5/29 for our honeymoon. The morning before we are heading to the port we saw the local news about the ship accident http://www.canada.com/victoria/times...D-058D9C2EE956
So we decided to call princess and they said they didn't hear anything about the accident and they were about to find out more while we were still on the phone. ( Bad communication between Princess and Princess) Later they told us that it may be delay for just a few hour ..Well those few our turned to be 7hours. ( they send 2,500 people from the port to the seattle center they all sit on the floor waiting to see what's going on)
finally we got back to the ship and nobody was greeting us or apologized for the delay etc which I found it surprised. After we had been waiting for 7 hours our luggages still didn't arrived.
Around 10pm I am sure alot of people went to sleep or rest after a long day wait . We decided to walk around the ship as we walked out the room we saw they were placing the new itenary ( guess what's the surprise !!!!!!! They decided to cancel two ports Juneau and Victoria and spend 3 days at the sea since the boat wasn't completely fixed and can't go any faster) Instead all they offered was $500 ship credit per cabin ..I mean $500 credit ?? buying pictures or get drunk with that credit?
So we decided to go to the front desk to complain as we heading down we saw 500 other angry passangers complaining about the situation somehow the supervisor of the ship said the president had decided that's was their only decision and deal with it.
Somehow we managed to negotiate again to see if they come up with a better solution.
An hour they told us for those who decide to leave the ship they will get the full refund plus hotel and airfare difference.
I was so dissapointed the way they handle the situation. I just think isn't fair for us that we end up traveling 3 days at the sea with only $500 ship credit per cabin ? while we had paid the full price for this trip ,waste the entire year planning , took time off from work, spend the money on the airfare and hotel , wait the entire day before we get into the ship. Unfortunatly half of the passangers from ship didn't know what's going on until the next morning.
Wait until they are back tomorrow and you will hear more about it!!!!
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Passenger

I have to say that I really enjoyed myself other than some medical problems that our family had. I enjoyed everything about Alaska! I guess we can find reasons to complain about everything but overall, it was worth it for us. We had got to the ship and forgot our tickets in my brothers car, along with our birth certificates and our children's social security cards. We hadn't a way to reach my brother as he was on his way to Yakima. They helped us through the process and got us onboard. AI know that the ship and crew had to work out some problems with it being a new ship, but overall, it was ok. When you can't see land, it is still very beautiful, we even got to see some whales. But with everything to do on the ship, who remembers that you couldn't see land? =)
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Admiral

Our disappointment came from not seeing much in the way of wildlife. (That was a drawback of going in mid-May I didn't fully realize

for clairfication- you aren't going to see much of any wildlife without excursions. brochures are greatly enhances. for any marine wildlife- you need a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Budget fully for excursions- you get only half a trip without them.
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Passenger

If you want to see wild life, go on Cruise West. You will see 60 whales, go by waterfalls and see so much compared to the big cruise ships. I saw so much in 7 days on cruise west then I did in all 7 cruises to Alaska on the big ships.

Write me if you want more info on Cruise West.
Old May 30th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Beginner

We were on the 5/15 cruise. It was absolutely wonderful!!! We had a balcony suite and other than the day at sea, we always found something interesting to look at. No, we did not see animals, but that was ok. Having done a lot of research prior to going on this cruise, we knew not to expect to see much if any unless we took an excursion (whale, etc).

We had such a good cruise and meet such nice, interesting people on board that we were not too disapointed not being able to get off in Victoria. Accidents happen.

The only disappointment was with the flight arrangements out of Seattle. We made our own reservations, so the moment we heard the captain announce a late arrival to Seattle, we called Delta, and after explaining to them what happened, they changed our flight without charging us anything extra. However, because we leave in Florida, the next flight out was at 10:15pm getting into Ft. Lauderdale 10:30am the next day. We got to SEATAC at about 2:00pm. That was a long wait to board and an even longer time to travel.

Although we missed Victoria, we feel we still had a good vacation and Diamond is a beautiful ship. As far as we are concerned, we got our monies worth and would do Princess again in the future. My husband and I have been married almost 20 years, and just being together and experience what we were able to experience together - well, we are very thankful to God for that.
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:18 AM
Passenger

We were on the 5/22 trip. I did not find Princess staff rude at all. The ship is georgeous.
Re: wildlife, from my balcony I saw seals, sea lions, lots of bald eagles and lots of whales.
We were on the starboard side. There were times we only saw open water, but not alot.
You will have a fantastic time.