Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 16th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to SushiSu
Default Taking alcohol on Board-Diamond Princess

We are going on the 15 day cruise to Hawaii from L.A. Are we really only allowed to bring one bottle of wine apiece onboard? How strict are they on bringing your own alcohol on board?

SushiSu
Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2007, 11:51 PM
First Mate

Do not take in your carry on luggage and would suggest that you pack in your luggage with bubble wrap and you should have no trouble.
Old October 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

You can bring all the wine that you want aboard. You are not supposed to bring liquor aboard though.
Jim.
Old October 19th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Passenger

Send a message via MSN to Drewt Send a message via Yahoo to Drewt

People took wine on by the case and they said nothing but other alcohol will be taken if they find it. They give it back as you leave the ship anyway so its worth a try. We took plastic bottles of Canadian Wisky in by wrapping them in bubble wrap in our checked luggage, All four suitcases went through with no problem. Everyone that I have asked told me this worked for them too. Good luck and enjoy
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Passenger

we just took this cruise in September/October. Fan tas tic.

We took 8 bottles of wine on board, and bought 2-3 bottles of wine in every port. We bought beer in three ports, and brought vodka onboard. We didn't pack it or hide it and had no problems.
Old October 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Passenger

Thank you all for your replies. I know that some ships are more strict than others, so I appreciate all the input. Bubble wrap is a must and a box o' wine sounds mighty fine!!! I am sooooo looking forward to this cruise. The countdown has definately begun.
Thanks again!
Sue
Old October 22nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Taking alcohol on Board-Diamond Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushiSu
We are going on the 15 day cruise to Hawaii from L.A. Are we really only allowed to bring one bottle of wine apiece onboard? How strict are they on bringing your own alcohol on board?

SushiSu
I read in another forum that a couple who just got back from the Caribbean Princess tried to take 4 bottles of wine onboard. 2 were taken and given back after the cruise.

Bill
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Bill,

I figure, if they take it, no harm-no foul. Just buy it on the boat. If I'm able to take it on board, no problems, then, I'll definately be having a party or two on my balcony!

AloOOOOha!!!!

Sue
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Passenger

yeeeah i was curious myself about beer... they say no "liquor", but that you can bring a bottle of wine each... but what if you buy a 6 pack in port can you bring that on?
Old October 31st, 2007, 11:50 PM
Beginner

Hi sushi su

I am on the diamond for the 15 day cruise to hawaii when is it you are going
Old November 1st, 2007, 09:54 AM
Passenger

We need to stop talking about this in the forums. The cruise lines read these too. We don't want our little secret to out!

Emerald Princess 11.16.07
Maasdam Nov.'05
Dawn Princess Jan.'03
Grand Princess Dec.'02
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:02 AM
Passenger

Hi Muriel,

We are going on the December 3rd thru December 18th cruise. We are in a Jr. Mini Suite and I'm just so happy that I'm finally in the countdown mode!!

Will you also be going on this cruise?

Sue
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Passenger

Default pricing

Hey Sue. We were looking at that same cruise, I bet its going to be wonderful. We thought were were getting screwed on the pricing though. The Canadian $ is at par with US but I found Princess was gouging us. I can't get American pricing on our site though. They are quoting $3,328.75 CAD per person for the mini suite on your cruise. Did you pay anywhere near that? You don't have to disclose what you paid just confirm if we are being ripped off.
Grand Princess March 2009

Read and post cruise reviews

Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Passenger

Hey Drew....

When we first booked the cruise (2-17-07) the total was $5,024.70. We put a total of $1750.00 deposit for it. When we paid the remaining balance on 9-12-07, the cruise price had dropped to $5003.06.

The price was for Category BF...which was a Balcony stateroom...and we were upgraded to Category AA, which is the Mini Suite. It's on the Dolphin Floor 9.

I've got 30 more days!!!!! I can't wait!!!! I think I'm going to start getting my luggage out now...

Sue
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
I can't get American pricing on our site though
Drew... I am Canadian, but all my cruises are booked in US dollars. It sounds as though you booked this cruise directly with Princess, on their web site.

I would shop your cruise with various travel agents. No doubt in my mind you're likely to find a better price. And when you do, you can simply transfer your existing booking from Princess to the agent. It's all on the up and up, and you are allowed to do it easily.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Beginner

My hubby and I just got back on the Golden (Mexican Riviera) on the 27th. We took 4 plastic bottles of liquor (bubble wrap in luggage), then in port bought 2 bottles of wine. No problem at all. We bought lots of drinks on board also (not alcoholics really)! We spent lots on drinks on board, but saved alot by bringing own liquor also.
Old November 4th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Passenger

Perfect. I wasn't planning on not buying drinks on board, but like everyone says...it gets a little $$$$!!!

Thanks for all the input. I am soooo excited for our cruise to begin!! 26 more days!!!!

Sue
Old November 5th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Passenger

Default Pricing

Thanks Sue and Kuki for all the tips. We changed our trip to Costa but will probably book Hawaii on Princess for the following year. We now know what to do. I've always found that the pricing on the web sites is very similar to what the travel agent got us but perhaps its not always the same. You should be packing Sue...We always start at 30 days.. have fun.
Grand Princess March 2009

Old November 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Quote:
I can't get American pricing on our site though
Drew... I am Canadian, but all my cruises are booked in US dollars. It sounds as though you booked this cruise directly with Princess, on their web site.

I would shop your cruise with various travel agents. No doubt in my mind you're likely to find a better price. And when you do, you can simply transfer your existing booking from Princess to the agent. It's all on the up and up, and you are allowed to do it easily.
Hi there where abouts in canada are you i am canadian also
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Beginner

Our cruise is on March 2nd so not the same as yours. Hope you have a great cruise.
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Passenger

http://cruisemates.com/forum/viewtop...569204#3569204

My packing is all but done. Gotta go thru the husband's wardrobe, and take out all the 1970 fashions and replace them with the updated versions of golf shirts, shorts, suits, etc.!

Aloha,
Sue
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Beginner

Hi we are going on 03/02/08 also we live in Sacramento, ca and probably will fly to LA cause parking the car for 15 days is kinda a waste and w/the price of gas we will b better off. Looks like there are quite a few people saying they are going on the date![/quote]
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Beginner

Hi Kuki
I am canadian also but paid in canadian dollars for my hawaii cruise 15 days for mini suite
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Hi DancingGypsy,

We are over the hill from you in the Eastern Sierras. We are staying at the DoubleTree Hotel in San Pedro. It's right on the harbor, and can see the cruise ships from the hotel. I called the hotel, since this is our first time going on Princess, and the hotel has a shuttle to and from the Pier, you can park your car at the hotel (FOR FREE!!!), for as long as your cruise is...and I didn't think they're prices were astronomical. But, you're so right about the gas prices. So much cheaper to fly. The only thing that would get my pannies in a ruffle :evil: is if the flight was delayed....I would have a heart attack! A lady, that I met on this board, gave me the info on this hotel, and since it's a DoubleTree, I know that it'll be a comfortable place. She also said that alot of people that cruise out of San Pedro, stay here. So, it does have a good reputation.

Sue
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Beginner

Liquor on-board,
Hi there, been on 59 cruises, you can pack liquor in your luggage, pack carefully with lots of bubble wrap and towels, send it thru with your regular luggage and it will arrive in your cabin. Even if you get charged a corkage fee if you bring it to the dining room, it is way cheaper than buying their stuff
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Passenger

I have traveled with Princess 4 times, twice to Tahiti.
I always take my liquor in plastice water bottles which I put in large ziploc bags and also buy it at different ports and bring it back on the ship in my bag. So I would say to you, take all your suitcase will hold.
Remember not to make the bag weigh more than 50 pounds or you will have to pay for it.