Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Beginner

Default Is the food better on formal nights - Diamond Princess?

We're trying to decide if we want to bring dressier clothes for those two nights, or just go the buffet when it's formal night. (We're a very casual family). However, if the food is considerably nicer on those nights, it might be worth cleaning up a little more.

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between regular nights and formal nights, as far as food?
Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2008, 05:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would have to say, yes, they usually have an outstanding menu on those evenings, I wouldn't want to miss it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Passenger

I agree the menu is always reflective of the "elegant" ambiance.

The formal nights are always my favorite, sitting in a beautiful dining room surrounded by people dressed in their best and sampling foods that I do not eat at home. It is like being transported to another time!

Bring one dressy outfit and go to the first formal night, if you enjoy it than you could always where the same outfit again no one will notice or care !

Enjoy ! Vacation is a time to do what you don't normally do all year round!

Lenore

Noordam-June-07
Star-Jan-07
Mariner of the Seas- Aug-05
Dawn- Mar-05
Star-Feb-04
Dawn-July-02
Old June 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Is the food better on formal nights - Diamond Princess?

oingoboingo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We're trying to decide if we want to bring dressier clothes for those two nights, or just go the buffet when it's formal night. (We're a very casual family). However, if the food is considerably nicer on those nights, it might be worth cleaning up a little more.

Can anyone tell me if there's a difference between regular nights and formal nights, as far as food?
Yes, Princess always steps the cuisine up a couple notches on the "formal" evenings.

Princess also holds very elegant -- and very memorable -- special events on the "formal" evenings that really do require "formal" attire. I don't want to spoil the surprise by disclosing the details, but I'm sure that you won't want to miss them!

Norm.
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:42 PM
Passenger

the only memorable dishes from my cruise were served on formal nights... there was this crab quiche that was my favorite edible of the entire trip... and also the king crab legs...

as a side note i am also in love with hot chocolate with bailey's now mmmmm...
Old July 18th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Beginner

My son-in-law had BOTH lobster and Filet Mignon plates on a formal night. It's fantastic and all you can eat everytime anyway. It's worth packing a dress and suit.
Old August 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Beginner

Default Great tucker!

We love the formal nights when the food is just fabulous, much better than in the buffet. Don't stress about it, just stick on some nice clobber and enjoy!! As the previous poster says, try it once and if you don't like it give it a miss the next time.
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Beginner

Just bring a little simple black dress and dress it up with a little jewelry and perhaps a scarve and you will be fine on formal nights. One night wear it with a scarf/sash the other night not. Men would be fine with a suit of course, but okay with a pair of slacks and a sports jacket or blazer and tie. Enjoy the formal nights. Food is good and very nice atmosphere.
Old August 16th, 2008, 02:24 AM
First Mate

The menu for the formal nights are always better. Once you get all dressed up, you will feel great, and the food will taste even better.

Have fun.