CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Lightening up the load...Of luggage that is. (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/367411-lightening-up-load-luggage.html)

huffca August 25th, 2009 11:42 PM

Lightening up the load...Of luggage that is.

I have a few cruises under my belt. However not since the luggage restrictions. I'm looking for the experts tips on how to go light on a Princess Cruise. What are your ideas??

Carol :)

Parrot Mom August 25th, 2009 11:53 PM

Lightening up Luggage

Well, it is well known on these boards my first experience was pretty negative on a Princess ship...BUT and the most positive part was the fact they have washing machines, dryers and that "dirty word"..irons....lol The funny part is that most of the people I met in the laundry were....men..the husbands.. We were on a two week cruise and I wouldn't tell you what my overage was at the airport...because most people would drum me off all the boards...lol.

huffca August 26th, 2009 01:06 AM

Re: Lightening up Luggage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrot Mom
Well, it is well known on these boards my first experience was pretty negative on a Princess ship...BUT and the most positive part was the fact they have washing machines, dryers and that "dirty word"..irons....lol The funny part is that most of the people I met in the laundry were....men..the husbands.. We were on a two week cruise and I wouldn't tell you what my overage was at the airport...because most people would drum me off all the boards...lol.

Thank you that is good to know. My friend and I are going on a 14 day to Hawaii in March. I plan everything. One of my favforite parts of a cruise is coming here and getting tips. But this is my first Princess.

The longest so far is 7 day. So I think I'll pack for 7 and use the laundry room.
Carol :-)

Parrot Mom August 26th, 2009 08:39 AM

HAWAII

NEVER having been to Hawaii I know I would shop for the perfect Mumu.., probably one with parrots..loll I also have read that go to the supermarket for the macadamia nuts and that they are probably cheaper in the US..

huffca August 26th, 2009 10:11 AM

ABC Store, Costco on most islands and if you are military go to the exchange. On the big island there is a Mac Nut farm not Mana Loa. It's a local farm. I think called Kona Coast Mac Nut. The last time I was there they sold bags of family seconds. Great deal for yourself to munch on.They also make their own candy. Very good quality.

Tracyd1014 August 26th, 2009 11:19 PM

They say when packing pack once and remove half of what you packed.

Do a lot of rotating of the clothes - mix & match. Things like khaki and black slacks and/or skirts. Switch out tops or jackets. Take only a few pair of basic shoes. You don't get dirty normally sitting around the ship. A basic black dress works great too as you can add jackets or different accessories. One thing that worked great for us on our last cruise was bundle packing. I'll never pack another way again! Enjoy your vacation!

Pixie Dust August 27th, 2009 10:44 PM

I'm curious....what is bundle packing?

Tracyd1014 August 27th, 2009 11:20 PM

It's a way to pack where you lay items one by one in the bag flat out then you take the next item, and next and they end up all wrapping around each other. Check out www.onebag.com/pack for instructions or www.packinglight.net for a video. It worked great for us. It's takes a bit longer but clothes aren't wrinkled and you get more in the bag.

huffca August 27th, 2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tracyd1014
It's a way to pack where you lay items one by one in the bag flat out then you take the next item, and next and they end up all wrapping around each other. Check out www.onebag.com/pack for instructions or www.packinglight.net for a video. It worked great for us. It's takes a bit longer but clothes aren't wrinkled and you get more in the bag.

Hi,
Thank you. You know that is why I love these boards. I travel a lot. However when I ask questions like I did here I always get some great tip. I'm going to watch that video. Thanks bunches.

Carol