Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Passenger

Default Clothng suggestions-Alaska

Ding the inside passage in August.

What type of clothing should we bring? Are hiking shoes necessary if dog sledding, going on a glacier, etc.? How abot outer wear? sweaters, long sleeve, short sleeve, shorts? Not looking to pack a ton but don't want to be unprepared either.

How strict is the cuiseline on dress for dinner? Can you wear nice jeans? Sport coat on formal night?
Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

While I have never sailed there, the info I can give you is what I know Cruisemates have posted...and more will share here, to be sure.

The dress at dinner is more casual. In August I have read posts where the temps climbed into the 80's ..best thing to do is layer. Bring enough to avoid the overweight fees.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 26th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Passenger

Well I can only answer to a couple of your questions. We just got off the Sapphire yesterday morning (Sunday the 25th of July) and we had a good time.
How about outer wear, sweaters....
Sounds stupid I know, BUT I came from 103 degrees and didnt even give a jacket a second thought.....my hoodie will be fine I told the wife. I spent 25.00 in Junue buying a jacket. have a jacket bring it you wont regret it. as others will tell you layers are a good thing, once I had the jacket tho I was fine.

How strict is the cuiseline on dress for dinner? Can you wear nice jeans? Sport coat on formal night?

This one makes me angry, and yes it does tell you in the paperwork etc about the formal nights. I will explain this part in a moment, but first let me answer your question.
They allowed casual dress, shorts in the buffet. NO SWIMMING TRUNKS
In your assighned dining room (you dont have to eat here, altho its fun and you get to sit with people and have dinner with them, its cool) you can wear jeans and shirts just no shorts.
Formal night, whole different animal. Slacks, Tie, long sleeves. This is a guys perspective, now my wife went in on the second night and they allowed her...if we had stayed, in in her black jeans and nice shirt.
I had bought a "silk" tie from the onboard store and had a nice shirt and black jeans, the maitra dee stopped me and said no jeans were allowed. So in answer to your question, NO JEANS. A sport coat is nice, but from what I saw wasnt absoulutly nessasary.

DISCLAIMER TIME THIS IS THE OPINION OF MY WIFE AND MYSELF I DO NOT REPRESENT ANYONE OTHER THAN SUCH.

And here is my rant on that topic......You have four main dining rooms (Vivaldi, Santa Fe, Savoy and Pacific Moon) in addition you have the buffet, and the grill which serves hamburgers, hotdogs and fries and or onion rings. Now if the cruiseline wants to offer a couple of nights of formal wear I dont have a problem with that...here is what they might consider first off not everyone wants to play the dressup game. As an example my wife and I arent rich, not stuffy and really dont enjoy having to do the dressup thing, and then have to feel uncomfotable throughout the meal as a result of having to be dressed up.
So my suggestion would be Princess have your formal nights, but take one of your resturants and say we will serve you the same as what the formal folks are getting but come in regular clothes....after all you paid for it.
So what happened the second formal night, I returned the tie and we had buffet, not the lobster, not the Alaskan bake or the other fine foods that we had looked forward to. My wife was so upset over this she did not want to return to that resteraunt the next night, and if she isnt going to be happy about going to the resturant over this matter I am not going to force the issue just to go to a dinner. We met some wonderful folks at dinner and its a shame we didnt get to enjoy their company the last evening, and I hope they understand (should they read this Dave and Nancy) it wasnt anything personal. Its a policy thats just uncomfortable for some.
Thats my rant for now, other than that we had an awesome trip and Im sure you will as well. Hope this helps

I am sure someone will chime in with the fact that this is assighned seating and I understand that, take a survey find out who doesnt want the formal dining and go from there...the arguments to this could go on and on again this is just our opinions

Last edited by high seas; July 26th, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks High Sea. Good advice. Sorry to hear about your issue. That's too bad. Hope it didn't ruin your time too much. I will bring a long sleeve, sport coat and tie--whether I wear them all will remain to be seen.
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:49 PM
First Mate

I sailed on the Diamond in Sept of last year and the weather was great!! I was glad I packed mittens and layers, thermal long sleeve tee with sweatshirt and a water proof rain slicker over everything. some days were nice and i only needed 2 layers.

For shoes i wore sneakers and waterproof clogs, and I had dress shoes for dinner. I was not on the Glaciers or any hikes, but just walking around shopping in port(s).

I'm sure you'll have a great cruise, Alaska was one of my favorite cruises. I love the hot weather and was appehensive about how cold it would be, but we did'nt have any weather extremes.

Write back and tell us how you liked it!
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old July 26th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Familiar Face

Default alaska clothing

We just returned from the Coral Princess and a land tour. My husband also refused to take a warm jacket and had to buy one,he also bought a sweatshirt and was fine. You will need rain gear of some kind . Good sneakers worked fine for all our activities. Formal night my husband brought a sport jacket and slacks and i wore a sparkly sweater--very few people were in classic formal attire.Have fun but pack layers.The laundromat on the ship is wonderful and reduces the amount of clothes required.
Old July 31st, 2010, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Since the biggest problem with doing an Alaskan cruise is packing enough clothes without overdoing it you'll be fine without the hiking shoes. We went in Aug. both times & all I took was a hooded sweat shirt & was comfortable. You can always pack a light sweater & wear it underneath. Of course it does get a little cool near the glaciers but you can always duck back inside to get warm for a while. For the formal nights I only pack a long sleeve dress shirt- no jacket & dress pants and it's always been accepted. Leaving the jacket behind will save lots of room in your suitcase.
Jeans were OK on casual evenings with a polo or Golf shirt. I've bought a rain suit a few years ago but still haven't had to use it.
Old August 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM
Familiar Face

The cruise ship web site will tell you what you can or can not wear. Most of the cruises I have been on do not allow jeans on formal nights. We do not attend formal nights so eat in one of the other restaurants on those nights. Never been a problem as on Hollan American Line they serve the same dinners in the buffet that you can order in the main dining room. Now so many of the ships have so many restaruants to choose from you will not have a problem.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:13 AM
Passenger

Default Clothes for Alaska

We went to Alaska in July 2008 and hit an uncharactrristically cold period. The day we were in Skagway it was 45 degrees with 40 mile per hour winds. It only hit highs in the 50's in Juneau and Ketchikan and rained/misted both days. We had all packed for layering and had sweat shirts, rain-proof outer wear, etc. I'm NEVER cold and I froze most of the time. So pack to layer and be prepared to spend the money for winter-type gear along the way if needed.
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
Passenger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
Ding the inside passage in August.

What type of clothing should we bring? Are hiking shoes necessary if dog sledding, going on a glacier, etc.? How abot outer wear? sweaters, long sleeve, short sleeve, shorts? Not looking to pack a ton but don't want to be unprepared either.

Hi there

We did the Inside passage a couple of years ago with Princess and did the helicopter trip landing on the glacier (Juneau). They provided us with boots, crampons and outerwear for the trip - believe me - you needed the crampons ! It was fantastic - enjoy ! We only did a walk - not a climb which was one of the options. they also gave us an energy bar and a bottle of water !

ChrisSheilaB
Old August 7th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Passenger

Cool the dress quandry for alaska

aboard ship, the usual fashionable cruise attire, shore excursions think
Cold as H-ll maybe, better to be warm and snuggly than be miserable.
as for shipboard dress, same as any cruiseship.
look your best, act as if you belong and then have one hell of a goodtime.
this is not like relatives, the odds are you will never see the same
people again.
But for G-d's sake don't dress as if was a refuge boat.
Old August 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Beginner

Alaska Cruise Packing Tips
From May through September, temperatures range from 40°F to 70° F during the day and drop into the 30’s and 40’s at night. The best way to prepare for this range of temperatures is to dress in layers and to be prepared for anything from bright sunshine—don’t forget those sunglasses—to light rain. Here’s a list of items to include when packing for an Alaska trip.

• Waterproof jacket
• Wool or fleece sweater or liner
• Turtleneck or a comfortable protective long sleeve shirt
• Comfortable footwear suitable for hiking and walking in wet conditions (Be sure to break in new shoes before your trip.)
• Good socks
• Warm hat/rain hat
• Gloves
• Insect repellent
• Sunscreen
• Travel umbrella
• Good camera with extra batteries and charging cord
• Spare memory card and battery for digital cameras (be sure to bring these on your excursions)
• Travel-size binoculars
• Sunglasses
• Day pack/backpack
• 3 copies of airline tickets, cruise tickets, passports/visas, itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and leave one copy with someone at home

What to wear onboard.....
Days onboard are casual. To be most comfortable:

• Jeans or slacks
  • Several sweaters, a jacket, a windbreaker and a raincoat
  • Warm socks
  • Low-heeled shoes for deck activities
  • Don't forget your swimsuit if you use the jacuzzi, a camera and a pair of binoculars (towels are provided)
  • For evening wear, count on three basic types of attire:
    • Casual: Dresses or slacks and blouses for women, sport shirts and trousers for men
    • Smart Casual: Dresses or pantsuits for women, jackets for men
    • Formal: Cocktail dresses for women, suits and ties or tuxedos for men (because Alaska is so casual, you will see some men wearing just a long sleeve shirt & slacks on formal nights)
  • Ashore, you'll need comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots. Cruisetours are casual, both during the day and in the evening.