CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/)
-   -   No Irons in room......I know but.... (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/princess-cruise-lines/381959-no-irons-room-i-know-but.html)

geek2330 April 17th, 2011 09:38 AM

No Irons in room......I know but....

Called Princess and the guy told me I cannot bring my own b/c it's a haz item.

Called yesterday to ask something else and asked the lady about the irons, she said i could bring my own.....

So, has anyone tried bringing an iron and had no issues when embarking?

We'll be on the Crown the 23rd sailing western caribbean; wife doesn't like the idea of walking or having to go somewhere on the deck to iron our clothes, inconvenient.
We'll be on the Caribe deck room C319 and not sure how close the laundry room will be.

geek2330 April 17th, 2011 09:53 AM

I just checked the deck plan and it looks like room C319 is very close to the self service laundry, but my question regarding bringing own iron remains.

jacdenv24 April 17th, 2011 10:48 AM

In a word...NO NO and NO. How about a hand held steamer? Works very well. Or, hang stuff in the bathroom while you shower:)

Mike M April 17th, 2011 11:03 AM

It is a definite "no". It's sad that many of the call center, customer service agents really don't know that much about the rules or even much about cruising. Some will take the time to look it up for you and others will just spout something off the top of their head that may or may not be correct.

Downy Wrinkle Release is a good product and you can bring that. A travel steamer can also be used. The best thing is to pack your clothes in plastic, dry cleaner bags, and pack them in layers in your suitcase with dry cleaner plastic or tissue paper between the layers. If you and/or your wife are good at folding then your stuff will have few wrinkles.

Have a great cruise and leave the iron at home. If you do have a couple of wrinkles no one will care and if they do they are the ones with the problem and not you.

Take care,
Mike

Trip April 17th, 2011 11:28 AM

A little hand held streamer is what I bring, and it does the job...Also, the laundrette has an ironing board setup....go there at off hrs,and get to busy)

geek2330 April 17th, 2011 11:35 AM

ok, got it.

What about my own corkscrew, can i bring one?

Trip April 17th, 2011 11:40 AM

Ask your room steward for one..

ruthlessboss April 17th, 2011 12:14 PM

Years ago I brought an iron. Wound up ironing on a towel on the floor. Never again, now some ships have launderettes and ironing rooms. A few wrinkles on a cruise can be overlooked.

jacdenv24 April 17th, 2011 04:43 PM

You might get a corkscrew on the ship but don't try it if your flying. I didn't even realize I had one in my carry on until they found it! Then of course EVERYTHING got searched.

CruzNut April 17th, 2011 05:25 PM

You CAN put a corkscrew in your checked luggage - just not in the carryon!

geek2330 April 17th, 2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacdenv24 (Post 1366591)
You might get a corkscrew on the ship but don't try it if your flying. I didn't even realize I had one in my carry on until they found it! Then of course EVERYTHING got searched.

i'm planning to place it in the piece of luggage i'm checking in; however some folks say the steward will get me one so i may just count on it.

ruthlessboss April 17th, 2011 07:15 PM

What are you, a neat freak? You are on vacation!

Snoozeman April 17th, 2011 09:45 PM

Ask away Geek;) and welcome to Cruisemates.

CruzNut April 17th, 2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthlessboss (Post 1366626)
What are you, a neat freak? You are on vacation!

What in the world brought on that question.

What was asked about the iron and the corkscrew are perfectly normal questions.

robh April 18th, 2011 12:54 AM

This is a cruise forum for learning and sharing

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzNut (Post 1366662)

What in the world brought on that question.

What was asked about the iron and the corkscrew are perfectly normal questions.

Right on, ask away. How else do we all learn.

A great APP for you US folks exists , called (My TSA) exists for Iphone and Itouch and all I.. stuff where you can search for all these questions of what you can and not take on an Airplane including the security wait times for all airports.

Now if you are going to put a corkscrew in your checked luggage you might as well include one of the swiss army type gizmos in the outer pocket with some duct tape and plastic cables as you never know and cannot assume your cabin steward provides.
To use the corkscrew, have your TA order wine for your room prior to the trip or rum or scotch or gin or whatever. Nice to have a drink in your cabin.
Back to the iron.. great advice here and the ship provides good service for a reasonable price or do place under the mattress 8-)
Have a great cruise.. :) We are nice people, well I can only speak for myself and some..rofl

LisaK April 18th, 2011 10:36 AM

irons are a definite no-no. travel steamers are ok. Laundry rooms on Princess are small, and you really need to get to them at odd hours, like early in the morning, late at night or during dinner. Shower steaming works pretty good for light wrinkles.

richstacy May 13th, 2011 05:26 PM

We have brought aour own corkscrew on many cruises, but o fcourse TSA will reuire that it be in checked luggage. Also they are heavy so why pack it when your steward can get one for you.
Quote:

Originally Posted by geek2330 (Post 1366544)
ok, got it.

What about my own corkscrew, can i bring one?

Nancy L May 22nd, 2011 03:04 PM

Was wondering about laundry. Do you need coins for the machines? detergent? How much? We will be on the Island Princess for 7 days and don't want to take 14 suitcases.

robh May 22nd, 2011 03:54 PM

You need quarters for the detergent
Ask for change at the front desk
Dryers and washers are free and irons are free, at least when we were on the Sea Princess
Sure Nancy , take 14 suit cases and tell us how you got them stored :p under the bed and room let alone the extra flight charges and the taxis.. I know you were kidding as its a group of seven couples, right? .:cool:
have a great trip:mrgreen::D

Nancy L May 22nd, 2011 04:47 PM

Just the 2 of us going. Only 1 large suitcase and 1 carry on. But they will be stuffed full. May have to buy a suitcase to put gifts in that we will bring back. My daughter said that the detergent & dryer sheets on Carnival were very expensive so I should take my own. Don't know about Princess but I assume most cruise ships are the same. Thanks for the info.

robh May 22nd, 2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy L (Post 1372299)
Just the 2 of us going. Only 1 large suitcase and 1 carry on. But they will be stuffed full. May have to buy a suitcase to put gifts in that we will bring back. My daughter said that the detergent & dryer sheets on Carnival were very expensive so I should take my own. Don't know about Princess but I assume most cruise ships are the same. Thanks for the info.

A dispenser is in the room and costs I belive four quarters , enough for one load is in the box. Though my wife mumbled about needing another box. I cannot remember if dryer sheets were sold as its not a common item.
If you bring some detergent , only bring the regular stuff and why one needs dryer sheets is beyond me for a 7 day cruise. The service is not that expensive as an option.
Either throw in a canvas bag to your luggage or buy onboad in the shops a good soft bag for extras, not that expensive. Throw in an extra TSA lock beforee you leave and or some twist ties, enough to allow you send as checked.
Have a great time and where are you going.

Cheers /Rob

Fern May 22nd, 2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy L (Post 1372282)
Was wondering about laundry. Do you need coins for the machines? detergent? How much? We will be on the Island Princess for 7 days and don't want to take 14 suitcases.

Yes, the machines take quarters. We take $10.00 to the Purser's Desk and ask for quarters to run the washer's and dryer's.

You don't need to buy the detergent or fabic softener's from the machine's on board. Look in your local grocery or discount store for Purex 3 in 1 sheets. Buy the "refill's" and save some $$$.

Have a wonderful (clean!) cruise,

Dannyboy May 22nd, 2011 09:33 PM

Don't take an iron on a Princess ship!

Quote:

Originally Posted by geek2330 (Post 1366521)

Called yesterday to ask something else and asked the lady about the irons, she said i could bring my own.....

We'll be on the Crown the 23rd sailing western caribbean; wife doesn't like the idea of walking :roll: or having to go somewhere on the deck to iron our clothes, inconvenient, boo hoo.
We'll be on the Caribe deck room C319 and not sure how close the laundry room will be.

Use the laundry room to iron, purchase laundry supplies at local store near port.
Don't add weight to luggage being checked by airlines flying coach, most airlines have a 50 lb limit before surcharge up to $50, Delta $75 for 1 lb over weight. Exception, Jet Blue 1 free check-in & South West 2-free check-ins.
Under garments can be washed in the sink with hair shampoo, use the iron in the laundry room to dry after washing, the blow dryer can finish in a pinch.
I get free dry cleaning & laundry with PRINCESS, which takes 2-days to receive back, I still wash my gym clothes in the sink to have it for following day.

KDGodwin June 26th, 2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geek2330 (Post 1366521)

We'll be on the Crown the 23rd sailing western caribbean; wife doesn't like the idea of walking or having to go somewhere on the deck to iron our clothes, inconvenient.

I always hang my clothes i need de-wrinkled in the bathroom when I take my shower (I like a hot shower), and the wrinkles usually fall out. You could also do this without taking a shower. Hope that helps!

Manuel June 26th, 2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruzNut (Post 1366605)
You CAN put a corkscrew in your checked luggage - just not in the carryon!

You are right! I do it all the time.

TM

laughing husky July 7th, 2011 02:13 PM

there are irons and ironing boards in the laundry rooms....