Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Princess Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

Question Island Princess

Has anyone cruised on the Island Princess? We are booked on the Christmas Cruise to the Panama Canal and back to Ft. Lauderdale. It is a 10 day cruise and sounds like a lot of fun with a lot of Christmas Cheer on board.
How are the theater shows..guess they are all the same on the cruises.
Been on the Ruby Princess twice and saw same shows a year and half apart.
Last cruise was on the Ruby Princess Jan 1012 so hope not to see the same show a third time...if so will skip.
Love Princess Line and Holland American Line the best of all the cruise ships we have been on.
Thanks for any infomation you may offer.
Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

It's been a couple of years since I sailed the Island Princess. LOVED the ship. One of my favorite Princess ships!
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Island and Coral Princess are two of my favorite Princess ships. They were actually designed for Alaska and the Panama Canal. The size is perfect and have some very nice cabins.

I know you will love the ship and cruising the Panama Canal.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 8th, 2012, 07:11 AM
First Mate

The Island does have a couple of shows that aren't on the other ships but in general most are the same and don't change that often. I believe the Island P will be changing over to the shorter 30 minute reduced versions of the longer shows in Sept sometime.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks will look forward to the Island Princess and the cruise.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks Mike will look forward to sailing on the Island Princess.
Old September 8th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks why only 30 min shows..love the length of the previous shows...but guess they can handle more people that way but will not be the same.
Maybe they will have a new show or two this time.
Thanks again for the info.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Familiar Face

Yes, We cruised the Island Princess a couple of years ago. San Juan to Acapulco 11 days. The ship is outstanding. We had stateroom B226 a mini-suite. There is a door that leads to the bow just down the hall from our stateroom, and w e were able to sit at watch the locks fill and empty. Great forward view in addition to our own balcony.
Hope this helps
Richard & Nancy
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks...sounds like a good ship to cruise on. Will look forward to it.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 08:01 AM
First Mate

We haven been on the Island since 2008 & are booked for Nov. It should prove interesting to see this ship again since the layout is different than all the others. The only thing that I don't like is the fact of the reduced entertainment schedule which seems to be occurring on all their ships but other than that I don't anticipate the Island to be any less in quality or service that the rest of the fleet.
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:13 PM
Admiral

Island Princess is our very favorite ship! As another poster mentioned, there are decks at the stern that have wonderful views along with the "normal" places.

The Island Princess is the perfect size for us. Not too small, but also not too large to get around. The ship doesn't have all the "bells and whistles", but we love her !

We're booked next year on another Island Princess Alaska cruise .

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old October 23rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
Admiral

I've been on her twice and on Coral for 17 days last year. Great size ships. Be sure to check out the Bayou Cafe
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:41 AM
First Mate

We just returned Dec 10 from the Island and found it still to be just as good as it's every been. The food quality & presentation might not be as good as the Emerald or Crown but still quite good. Some selections have been eliminated such as a thick cut veal chop in the DR but there were still plenty of other thing to choose from.
What was a nice touch was the different layouts in the Horizon on different days like a Mongolian buffet, Tapas, dessert buffet, fruit buffet. These are not found on the the other ships.
Old July 30th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrembl View Post
Yes, We cruised the Island Princess a couple of years ago. San Juan to Acapulco 11 days. The ship is outstanding. We had stateroom B226 a mini-suite. There is a door that leads to the bow just down the hall from our stateroom, and w e were able to sit at watch the locks fill and empty. Great forward view in addition to our own balcony.
Hope this helps
Richard & Nancy
We have just booked B226 on the Island Princess to go through the Panama Canal next March and are now concerned about the balcony. Could you please tell me whether it is covered or not. I believe some on that section of the deck are totally exposed. Would really appreciate your response to this as we really need sun protection! Many thanks
Old July 31st, 2014, 04:29 AM
Captain

A few years back we did the 10 day Panama Canel trip on the Island Princess and we loved every minute of it. Definitely the most relaxing cruise we ever had. A balcony room is a must IMHO especially going thru the canal docks. We loved Panama, did the rain forest excursion there, absolutely loved Costa Rica! Aruba and Jamaica were great but if we ever went to Cartagena Columbia again we would stay on the ship as we didn't feel safe there.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15