Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2003, 06:48 PM
DaveandJodi

Default Getting Sea Sick

I will be going on the Mariner of the seas ( 138,000 tons ) in early 2004 to the western Caribbean. I am afraid to get sea sick so is there a place on the ship where it is better to avoid this? I heard the middle is the best and some said the higher decks are better and some said the lower decks are better. Inside room or a room with a balcony ? What is the best medicine to take? ANY ADVICE !!!!! ?
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2003, 07:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Getting Sea Sick

Hi Dave & JOdi,
You can always pick up some bonnine at your local drug store before you leave, you may even not need it. These mega ships are so big, you hardly feel the ship moving, so hopefully getting sick will not be a problem. Yes, more middle and lower are good, but also having a balcony or a window will help. Although, once you cruise with a balcony, you will always want one. You can also try ginger, I understand thats also good for sea sickness.

Have a wonderful cruise, hopefully without any seasickness :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Passenger

I get motion sickness and I use the patch from my doctor. My husband and daughter took bonnie. They were a little uneasy but not to bad as long as they took it everyday. I never sick at all. I will never cruise without the patch.
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:14 AM
browezilla

Patches and Bonine both work well. Sea sickness is partly caused by you body feeling motion, but your eyes/mind not seeing the motion (if all of your surroundings moving in concert, it looks like there is no motion -- ala the motion of the earth). Being able to see the horizon helps some, as their eye/mind can not also detect the motion.

As Donna said, the motion is very faint, especially in the W. Carib. Just carry some Bonine or a patch with you in case you need it. I think they have them on board too, but they will be much more expensive.
Old August 6th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Passenger

I would highly highly doubt you will get sick on that ship in the W Carib. I have been on several cruises and the only time I have gotten sick was going to Bermuda (and during this cruise apparently the crew got sick as well). Don't worry, bring some bonine (FYI - it makes me very tired) maybe a patch, and my mom swears by those wrist bands (I think that is a psychological thing, but whatever works!)

Have a great time!
Old August 6th, 2003, 09:53 AM
First Mate

What type of motion sickness medication is safe for children? My 11 year old gets motion sickness in the car and on rides and she is affraid she will get sick on a ship. Is bonine or the patch safe for kids?

Thanks so much!

Royal Caribbean - Navigator of the Seas - 9/27/2003
Old August 15th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Passenger

Ginger snaps (the cookies) are known to help motion sickness.
Those might be the safest for children...
As for Bonine being safe for kids ? Good question for your
pharmacist. FWIW - the generic for Bonine is Meclizine, so if you have
trouble getting info on Bonine, try looking for Meclizine...
Old August 16th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Passenger

Location: Brooklyn - Dyker Heights-Bay Ridge - NYC By The VZ Bridge

I did experience sea-sickness for the first time on my 13th cruise. It was off the coast of N.C. and it was a slow moving system that laid in the Atlantic on our way back from Florida and the Caribbean.

The sea was so strong from 7AM to about 6PM. This was on the QE2. Who would think.
They were even afraid of the stabilizers from tearing off.

It hit me about 3PM. You could not find anyone in the hallways and people who were going up would crawl on the floor to the stairways. And those who couldn't go up the stairs sat on the steps and held on the rails.

When I returned to my room it finally hit my wife and I. She got better thru sleeping.

I was not looking forward to going to dinner. So I ask my Room Stewardess, Virginia and she suggested and tray of Hot Tea, Soft Cheese, Crackers and Fruit. Also the Medication she had on hand from Medical.

Well, I did eat it and also took the medication and laid down. The medication causes to sleep. My family went to dinner. I got up in a few hours ( close to the end of their dinner time ) and felt as if I woke up from a 105 degree temperature.

We'll, I got up refreshed like I never felt before. I got dressed and went to the end of the dinner time. Everyone was shocked how great I looked. I felt a NEW person.

If you ever have a question go to the Medical Department or ask you room steward. If they have years behind them, they maybe a weath of knownledge helping passengers on their cruises.

Regards,
Ed S.