Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:35 PM
hcat

Default need internet or phone tips

We are taking a 10 day cruise on Brilliance & will be out of tel range at all ports so we are thinking about using the internet on board to check for any problems at home. & to check in as well.. Can anyone give us some basic tips on how to best use the internet service at the least cost--like maybe bringing a disk from home--typing a mesaage & then hitting send??? Also are there internet cafes in Aruba or Gr. Cayman (I doubt there will any in Panama of Costa Rica) ? We are also going to be out of our cell phone roaming area. Does anyone know what a phone call would cost from a land-based phone in any of these ports? We like to check in once or twice but feel we will be very limited on this itin. Thanks for an help you can give.
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: need internet or phone tips

Have you sailed with Royal Caribbean before? If so, Crown & Anchor members get a coupon book worth so many free minutes on the Internet. Regardless of that - it doesn't take too long to check your email and/or send a message, so it's not too expensive. I have a YAHOO email account and check it several times when I'm cruising.
Old February 28th, 2005, 06:48 PM
kdonner

Ok Well I havent had real good luck with the internet on the ships... especially if you use AOL.. I usually have to go complain and they give me a credit.. it is very very slow..
one time I did take a laptop and paid the $100 for a sattelite connection.. it worked ok... and at least I could keep trying at different times... so I will most likely do that again..
just dont count on the computers on the ship for much... just my experience...
I will say thought that almost every port I have been to has an internet cafe and it is usually reasonable.. much cheaper than the ship.. just sometimes you have to wait in line to use it... but that isnt usually bad...
Ken
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Dan P

In Aruba there is a phone center right off the dock.I think that it cost $.10 a min.It is right by the guard gate.Just watch your time.
Old February 28th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've found most of the internet cafe's at ports are high speed connections and the cost is around $5.00 for an hour, so much cheaper and faster than onboard. They are usually close to the pier, just keep an eye out and I'm sure you'll find them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM
hcat

Thank you all--we do have Yahoo & will lokk for the coupons, internet centers & the phone area! appreciate all the tips
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:29 AM
Explorer05

Here's the phone/internet situation situation in the Caymans.... It's not pretty. The island is controlled by the Cable and Wireless monopoly. Thus, services are very expensive. If you want to make a call from the Caymans, make sure to buy an ATT phone card in the states before you leave - with lots of minutes. You will get approx 1 min for every 14 on your phone card. Still, not overly expensive, considering how cheap you can get a phone card.
As far as the internet..... There's about 4-5 places in Cayman with open internet access...it is high speed. Cost is .25-.50 a minute. The best place to use the net is in a place called PD's Pub, in the Seven Mile Shops, right on 7 mile beach.
Hope this helps, Let me know if you need anything else.