Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Bermuda to Canad

:"A spokesperson for Royal Caribbean reportedly says passengers will not be reimbursed for a difference in their fare. "

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/news/wab...ivertedAM.html

Post Edited (07-29-05 14:26)

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada
Old July 29th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Bermuda to C

Here's a story from the Canadian Broadcast Company:

http://novascotia.cbc.ca/regional/se...ermuda20050727

No negative publicity my foot.

Old July 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

They didn't want the cameras there? EEEK!

I really do think they ought to at least credit the differential in price in some form.

Old July 29th, 2005, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

This same thing happened a couple of years ago with a Boston to Bermuda cruise. Unfortunately when you cruise during hurrican season you have to be prepared to go somewhere else, even if its somewhere you really don't want to go. I'm booked for the end of August and if we change our ports we'll just have a good time somewhere else. Any vacation is what you make of it.

Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old July 29th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I won't go into the whining - but some people need a reality check.

Would you drive knowing a snowstorm is bearing down on you & there's a chance you'll get stuck?

Would you go outside & play golf with a Thunderstorm coming & knowing there's a chance you'll be hit by lightening?

Would you drive to the store to go shopping knowing a bridge you have to cross over is several feet underwater by flood waters?

If you said NO to any of these - Why the heck would you go on a cruise during Hurricane season knowing a Hurricane could be out there just for the cheaper prices?
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:16 PM
Glenn Comunale

Cassandra: Of course your right in what you say as far as you go but I feel some of us are missing the point here, its all about respect. Isn't a large corp. dealing with the public suppose to go the extra mile in support of good will. To say that RCL gave the people a cruise to somewhere misses the point they had to take the boat out and go someplace and maybe the choices were not good but if you paid for a Buick and end up in your mind with a Chevy some sort of accommodation in this case money wise should be offered. If I buy a car fully loaded and instead because of a strike I can't get it and the dealer offers me a less loaded car instead I don't expect to pay the same price for the less expensive one., this really happened to me many years ago. RCL showed tthat they did not have any respect for the people on board that boat. I hope that those passengers that paid with a credit card will contest the charge and maybe get a credit.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Whoa... I hadn't thought about the credit card option. I paid via my Visa Check card over time through a major bank... and that insures the purchase.

Of course, I am more than hopeful that we will actually leave for Bermuda on the scheduled date.

Old July 29th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Bermuda

Every time a ship gets diverted or has any kind of an issue the same arguements come rolling out.
I'm on your side. I hope everyone gets a giant package of compensation. Personally
I don't think you will, but I hope you do.
I think everyone needs to read their cruise contract. I think everyone needs to think if rather than sailing to New England and Canada they would have been better off sailing for a day and a half through a tropical storm going to Bermuda. Spending 3 days on the island with rain and high wind and surf predicted every day. Then returning to NY back through the course of the storm. Would we then be reading how horrible the cruise was and why didn't the captain avoid the storm?
I hope those folks who went north enjoyed their time and made the most of it. I hope those who made it to Bermuda had better weather than was predicted. As I said above, Horizon and Zenith came in to all day rain on Monday and predictions of rain and thundershowers for Wednesday and Thursday.
If you dispute your card charge, be prepared for the cruise company to bring out your cruise contract. It clearly states the right to change the itinerary if necessary.
Good luck to you all.
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Admiral

I saw the story on the news today, and one unfortunate couple STARTED from Canada to cruise to the Bahamas....imagine their surprise when they ended up in the same place!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 29th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Berm

Here's what I am not understanding.. (and I guess I knew this would happen, I so much as stated in the first post)......

What is the nature of the vitriol against those that are:

1. bringing the topic of the diversion up on a cruise message board ?

and

2. people exploring their options and expressing their concerns and worries about the itenerary changes?

If at the very least, the young lady who wanted to have her wedding in Bermuda was upset about her WEDDING DAY that was her right to be upset. It doesn't point fault, it speaks to her emotions.

Should she get to suing the cruise line? I didn't say that.

Last year I had a chance to visit the ports that RCI diverted to this week and they were lovely. On the day we were in St. John, it was rainy and cold. My husband and I were on our honeymoon and we loved it. We had booked to Canada and expected this kind of weather. But people complained and RCI ended up taking St. John OFF of their Canada ports for cruises leaving from Bayonne. They responded to the customer's demands, in spite of the obvious.. Canada is often going to be cold in May and rain sometimes happens! In that case, I really was thinking, "What did you all expect? This is the area you booked for!" However, the customer complaints must have made some kind of policy difference, even if it's not one I agree with. Companies DO respond to customer inquiries.

In reading the cruisemates message boards, I can't say I have always agreed with the anger at being diverted from one island port to another if there were still good beaches, food and museums. They are comparable in climate and activities. But I can't imagine being diverted to something that's not comparable in climate or price, and then being told "too bad for you".

Like many people, I work hard to earn my money and want to make the best of it. I had the choice of booking the Canada cruise, which was less expensive. But I chose to save for a balcony cabin on a cruise to Bermuda. I cannot even pretend I wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't work out that way. I can at least empathize with the people who were booked on this particular sailing, even if there are those who cannot.

I wonder how many of the "deal with it" folks I will see on here complaining later about the food quality, the poor treatment by a particular staff person, or the way the lines are becoming less high quality in this that or the other. I am going to assume it's no one, because none of them ever had a customer service complaint that they didn't just sit back and deal with.

Old July 29th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There's no question in my mind, if I was expecting a Bermuda cruise and went to Canada instead, I'd be disappointed. And everyone on the sailing has the right to be disappointed.

However, I would NOT have booked the cruise to Bermuda during hurricane season.

I've cruised several times during hurricane season, and have done so understanding that my itinerary may change. Somewhere along the line people do have to accept responsibility for their own choices as well.

If the itin. was the reason for booking these people should not have booked when there's hurricanes possible. They were gambling that things would go smoothly. They can't really expect someone else to pay for the gamble not paying off.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:11 PM
wmsiii

Hey Folks,

I have read all of your mesages since posting my original message.

Bottom line - I paid for a trip to Bermuda and ended up with what is typically a much less expensive trip to Canada with cold temperatures and fog. All I am asking for from Roval Caribbean is recognition that they did not deliver what I paid for. (And yes, Mother Nature plays a role - if RCI had offered to split the difference in the cost between a Canadian cruise and a Bermuda cruise with a simple credit toward a future cruise, I and many of my fellow passengers on this cruise would have felt compensated. The bottom line is that they did not even offer this).

For those of you criicizing us for booking a cruise to Bermuda during Hurricane Season, you are right. I will never do it again. And forget about booking again on Royal Caribbean.

And shame on us stupid passengers for booking a cruise to Bermuda in July without packing warm weather clothes for Canada, just in case.

I am sticking to golf in the USA where I can just drive there. I will save a hell of a lot of money and have a lot less frustration.

To you cruising addicts...enjoy spending thousands of dollars and risking it to the vagaries of weather.

For me, I will stick to golf. I can pay a whole year's dues for a nice Country Club for my family for what I paid for this 5-day trip to Bermuda (er Canada). And if it rains, I can just wait until the next day (or week) to play without losing my investment.

Cheers!

Ex-Cruiser

wmsiii
Old July 29th, 2005, 09:27 PM
cpaige

the Bottom line is - we should have gone somewhere comparable. If they would have taken us to somewhere warm, most people would have been happy. We wanted to go to warm weather, and instead we got freezing.
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Glenn Comunale

I don't get this idea that if a person goes cruising in summer to a warm water port like Bermuda or Nassau or the islands it serves them right if they get shafted. The hurricane season last five or six months of the year plus your talking alot of territory. If the cruise lines offer the trips and the ships then they are willing to take the risk too why should it be all on the paying customer part. Also if all those of you who say no to cruising warm water in summer you can pay for my Alaska or european, middle eastern cruise thank you every much!
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Wher could you have gone that was warm and gotten back in the allotted time period---
Myrtle beach?
Old July 30th, 2005, 03:00 AM
venice

the cruise season to Bermuda and the hurricane season are about at the same time, so perhaps a possible solution is if you selected the cruise to go to Bermuda, perhaps the next time you should fly and do a land package

Almost every place else in the caribbean, you can choose to cruise when it is not hurricance season, Bermuda is one of the few exceptions
Old July 30th, 2005, 05:29 AM
CO

First of all I sympathize with all the cruising passengers that were on this ship. I would hate to go somewhere else cold when I was planning a warm vacation. Hurricanes though are very unpredictable. This is something that we discussed when we made our reservations last year to cruise but we decided to gamble and go ahead with the plans to cruise. We just barely missed a couple of them and i'm very glad we did. From what I see here is there was no alternative but to go north unless RCCL chose not sail at all. The storm was moving from the Bahamas toward Bermuda and as erratic as a hurricane is on changing direction i'm guessing that the Captain and RCCL didnt want to jeopardize the the safety of everyone.
Old July 30th, 2005, 07:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

wmsiii, I think the message you posted expressing your new feeling about cruising would be an excellent letter to RCI itself. At least let them know the way you felt as a customer.

With thousands of folks on that ship, you surely aren't the only one sending a letter.

Old July 30th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Glenn:

The problem with the "Don't cruise during the hurricane season" discussion as far as RCI ships leaving from Cape Liberty is concerned is this:

Hurricane season typically runs from June 1 to Nov. 30. RCI begins cruising in Cape Liberty in May and leaves in November. They obviously cannot be docked up here during the winter months. This means that RCI only offers crusies in that port during hurricane season, with the exception of one month. And with the exception of a few sailings to Canada, most of the cruises listed were destined for the warmer climates.

So yes, people booking are taking a chance, but it seems to me that it's a win win for RCI. They only offer during hurricane season at a particular port, and then if they sail to those destinations, that's great. If they change to a cheaper destination, they keep the cost of the differential. Either way, it's a profit as long as they don't cancel the sailing.

If everyone listened to "Don't cruise during hurricane season" RCI would have to leave the Cape Liberty Cruise port entirely. They are counting on us cruising during that time.

Old July 30th, 2005, 07:36 AM
Cruise Maniac

CO: I agree, the captain and the line shouldn't put the passengers in danger. But I do think they should award some part of the differential, no matter how small.

I have a feeling that those folks who press it are going to get a different result.

Let's hope the sailings are all okay from here on out.

Old July 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM
CO

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Berm

Just4kian. I hope that you and everyone in your party has a great cruise and get to your destination in Bermuda. Its getting close and I know that youre excited. Have a good trip!
Old July 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
venice

just curious, why can't you cruise to Bermuda year round ? is it because of weather or local government restriction ?
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
SD22

No one has yet to bring up the fact that on they way back from Canada, we sailed through the tail end of the same very storm we were trying to avoid.
Old July 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from

Thank you kindly! We've been praying (literally) for good weather, smooth seas and a great time. I'm taking my 11 year old daughter. It's her first cruise experience!

Old July 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

SD22... was it rough? Did you feel the storm in the movement of Voyager?

We hit a storm coming away from St. John last year that was rough.. the ice show was a sight to behold as skaters were falling left and right!

Old July 30th, 2005, 03:56 PM
valmo

I wanted to respod to your message because I read it and was completely offended. I was on the cruise that went to Canada instead of Bermuda, and I must say that I think you have missed the point of all the controversy. We all understand that the ship was diverted because of the storm, and do not dispute that it was done in an effort to ensure the safety of everyone on board. You are right, there is no telling when mother nature will strike. However, the manner in which Royal Carribean went about the decision to re-direct the cruise was completely uncalled for. The main problems that myself, my family, and hundreds abord the ship had with the cruise were threefold, and I have listed them for you...
1. Royal Carribean did not tell anyone that they had changed our plans until we were boarding the ship.
2. When people, like my father, asked for a refund, Royal Carribean refused, saying that we could either skip the cruise and lose our money, or get on the boat.
3. The normal price of a cruise to canada is much less (about $1000/person less) than the price that my family and about 3000 other people on that cruise paid

I can honestly say that people were more annoyed with they way that they were treated than anything else. On the contract that eveyrone signed, it says that Royal Carribean promises to do everything it can to ensure that its passengers are completely satisfied with their curise. Well, the passengers just want to pay for the cruise that they were given, which is a request that I do not find unfair. My father paid for our famiily to get tan, go snorkeling, walk on the beach in the pink sand, dip our feet in the clear ocean waters. Instead, we all came home with canada sweatshits and sweatpants because we were all freezaing cold on the boat. Maybe a phone call or an email from Royal Carribean would have been nice, you know, to tell us to pack for a cooler climate. Wouldn't you be a little upset about having to spend even MORE money on an already crappy vacation because you and your family were freezing, at no fault of your own?

The test of a great company is not when all goes well and everyone is satisfied. The test comes when a problem arises. A truly great company would have had the decency to TRY to please its customers. I have to say that every paying customer on board that ship was treated like crap. RCCL may seem professional but it has proved to me, and thousands of others that we were wrong. And I am sure that you would feel the same way if it was your money that went to waste and your children who had to stay locked up in their rooms all day because it was too cold, windy, and foggy to set foot on the deck. Rather, if it was your son or daughter who paid full price for a fake wedding in canada because he or she was supposed to get married in bermuda. So, now that you have heard what i have to say, I think it only appropriate to say that it is not us that need a reality adjustment. Maybe you should consider the situation from all sides before making rude accusations. Thank you.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:08 PM
CruzCrazy

Bermuda is wonderful in May.....that's the month to book it!

The Caribbean (both East and West) is wonderful from December to May....these are the months to book it!

Hurricane season is June 1 to November 31....plain and simple.

A hurricane can start in Africa and end in Nova Scotia.....it's happened.

If you like to travel, you should pay attention to the weather and plan accordingly.

Sorry guys, I have no sympathy that your cruise was re-routed.

Better planning next time.
Old July 30th, 2005, 09:42 PM
wmsiii

For all to see...a picture of one of the better moments of our trip back from Canada to New York.

Bottom line - we had 1/2 day of warm weather (the morning after leaving Cape Liberty.)

And this picture is one of the more crowded times people were on deck.

Note all of the towels and sweatshirts as we passengers were trying to keep warm on this "trip to Bermuda and a warm vacation."

Enough said.

Cheers!

wmsiii

P.S. Valmo - I agree with you 100%!

P.S.S.CruzCrazy - So if we want a reasonable chance of a warm weather non-diverted cruise out of New Jersey, we are limited to May?? Any other time when RCCI is running ships out of NJ, the customers bear all of the risks and the cruise line bears none? Another good reason to stop "Cruising".

P.S.S S.. I had a wonderful day playing golf today on my home course in Pennsylvania. Sunny and mid-80's. Best weather and most relaxing day that I've experienced in a week!
Old July 30th, 2005, 11:34 PM
JaeDog105

Unfortunately, when it comes to weather, you are correct in stating that, as far as the itinerary goes, "the customers bear all of the risks and the cruise line bears none."

A cruise line sailing into bad weather would bear all of the risks associated with the weather--damaged vessels, unhappy customers due to the storm conditions, injured or killed passengers and crew in the event of a disaster.

The line clearly states that the itinerary can be changed with no warning or refund simply because they are unwilling to bear the risks of sailing into bad weather. And rightly so.
Old July 31st, 2005, 08:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

The publicity in this one has a life of it's own. ON NBC, they are about to profile the couple aboard Voyager who planned to get married in Bermuda. I intend to Tivo it!

It should be on in a few minutes if anyone's awake....

It's a shame that this happened that way, but I honestly think that as someone going on the cruise to Bermuda soon, that RCI is not only going to settle this better, they are going to have to really look at their customer service options should they need to divert again. The negative publicity is even bigger than with that poor ship that hit the rogue wave. I anticipate (hopefully) a change in the way they dealt with this change in venue for future customers.