Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Bermuda to Canada th

Okay, before the overzealous fans start bashing, let me just say that I understand nature and blah blah blah. HOWEVER.... I am scheduled to go to Bermuda in August of this year. I went to Canada on Voyager last year to the same ports mentioned in this article. I know that what I paid for Canada on Voyager is 50% less than what I paid for Bermuda. I have travel insurance, but I have to re-read and see if it covers a change that results in a loss like the one in the article below.

Also: When there is a change, don't the ships usually still go to some kind of island?
I am very interested in seeing what kind of compensation the travellers on Voyager got when they come back.

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/331205p-283100c.html[\url]

Voyager of the Seas to Bermuda

May 2004 Voyager of the Seas to Canada
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Bermuda to Canad

Old July 25th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Big BIG problem : Voyager diverted from Bermuda to C

Also: If anyone was on the 9 Day Caribbean sailing that came back on Sunday the 24th, I wonder if they could elaborate on something that frightened me. There was a rumor (not confirmed) that a young woman was raped on the ship that sailing. ??????? My office mate's in-laws were on that sailing and we're getting this from them. I can't find a link, and I know better than to ask customer service. I wanted to avail myself of the children's program, which is why I am trying to find out where this happened, if it happened at all.

Old July 25th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

??? I guess no one cares about the switch.

Old July 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N25203345.htm

Looks like the Tropical Storm has weakened.. it will be causing rain in Bermuda but not landing as a major storm.

Tropical Storm Franklin weakens in Atlantic
25 Jul 2005 16:58:46 GMT

Source: Reuters

MIAMI, July 25 (Reuters) - A feeble Tropical Storm Franklin churned through the Atlantic Ocean toward Bermuda on Monday but posed no immediate threat to land.

Old July 25th, 2005, 05:25 PM
venice

wow, now that's something that I might open my mouth about if I were booked on that sailing..however, you gotta believe that there was ALOT of discusion in the Royal Caribbean war room before this decision was made..they would have had to exhaust all of their options before making this decision and expect their front line people to spread the news...I would almost think they would have been better off by saying 'hey folks, these are our options, a cruise to nowhere or a cruise to Canada, since this isn't a democracy, this is what we are going to do, and this is what we are going to offer you as a compensation (and it should be real creative)
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

The ports listed aren't so bad. But I do have an issue with the way RCI posted the message on the 24th... and included this:

"Ships sailing from Cape Liberty Cruise Port:

Voyager of the Seas, which departs Sunday, July 24, on a five-night sailing to Bermuda, will sail a modified itinerary. The modified itinerary will include: a day at sea Monday; a port call in St. John, New Brunswick (Canada), from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday; a port call in Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada), from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday; a day at sea Thursday; and return to Cape Liberty on Friday as scheduled. This week, St. John and Halifax are expecting high temperatures in the mid-70s and lows in the mid-50s.
Guests are encouraged to consider these temperatures when packing. "

THE SHIP LEFT ON THE 24th!!!! The message is listed as posted the 24th!!!

This isn't a big deal for me because I live in Bayonne where the cruise ship leaves. Just change the clothing. But if you were already in the air with clothes to Bermuda and didn't pack a jacket, etc. you are screwed.

I really am interested in seeing what the compensation will be.

Post Edited (07-25-05 20:24)

Old July 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
hcat

We know someone who a few yrs ago was told there would be a switch so she re-packed for Canada & when they got to port they were told the orig itin was being followed---not conducive to being well-dressed but they had fun anyhow. Sorry to say it but anyone who cruises during H season has to be prepared for a change due to weather...the rates are much hgiher for other seasons but at least hurricanes are not in the equation...
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

True, it's just a shame that they found out at the last minute. I would always check the website, but not everyone knew to do that. If you read the article you will see the shock.

I guess we have to wait until they come back to find out about it.

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Putting this back on top...

Thanks to the cruiser who responded about the rumor concerning rape.

The people are coming back from Voyager tomorrow. I'd be interested in hearing their experience. I enjoyed my stay last year on Voyager.

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Admiral

so did these people want the Captain to sail them into harms way?
That's the risk that you take when you sail during hurricane season, plain and simple.
Bermuda is basically a coral reef stuck out in the middle of the Atlantic it has no protection around it, a storm could just sit and spin out there and gain strength.
Old July 28th, 2005, 08:17 AM
Admiral

Lisa, if you read the posts, what these people are saying is that Canada is not a comparable route to Bermuda. DOH!

We've had our itinerary modified a few times due to the weather, but we've always had a great time because we still visited warm climate areas. Going to another climate is a different complaint altogether...

Although I wonder if RCCL is allowing people to cancel w/a full refund,....

Post Edited (07-28-05 08:18)

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old July 28th, 2005, 11:30 AM
wmsiii

I am on the Voyager cruise that was diverted from Bermuda to Canada. There are many very unhappy passengers.

The only compensation that Royal Caribbean offerred up (after a lot of pressure) was a $45 credit for port taxes. The price of the Canadian cruise is typically a lot less than the premium prices we all paid for our Bermuda cruise.

It will be very interesting to see how Royal Caribbean handles this from the PR side.

From my perspective, I will never take a Bermuda cruise out of New Jersey again during hurricane season. The risk of diverting to cold country (I mean 60's, fog, and wind) is too great. We have only had one morning (the day after leaving NJ) of sunny warm weather. The rest of the 5-days has been cold, foggy, and windy.

Also, because of the way Royal Caribbean has stonewalled their customers on this cruise, I will likely avoid them in the future. Too bad - the Voyager is a beautiful ship and the crew has been very attentive. But the arrogance of the management in Miami has been unbelievable. They are doing everything they can to destroy customer loyalty. They could have avoided all of the ill-will they have created by offering a reasonable size voucher (i.e. $250) toward a future cruise when we checked in on Sunday. That would have dissipated a lot of the anger that many passengers feel.
Very few are questioning the decision to divert to Canada. The real issue is the compensation from the change in schedule. We paid for Cadillacs and we are getting Chevies.
Old July 28th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Do you folks realize that at the time of sailing, July 24 there was a tropical storm, Franklin (bordering on hurricane force) coming up out of the Bahamas and heading with a dead on bead for Bermuda? I was there at the time. I know you do but you need to focus on what that means. There were tropical storm warnings up and visitors were scrambling around to consider alternative travel arrangements. What "other similar island " did you have in mind? How many islands do you think are out there? Nothing within 600 miles of Bermuda. If the storm was coming out of the Bahamas the ship would have had to sail directly into the storm to get there. So where would you have liked to go??? Until Monday night the 25th when the storm finally veered away from the island (but still in the path of ships coming out of NY area) we were under a tropical storm warning.
Channels entering all three ports in Bermuda are very narrow and very shallow. They are negotiated at minimal speeds . Ships cannot stay in port in Bermuda during such a storm unless there is an absolute emergency due to the very tight constraints in all three port areas.
What is the PR disaster you are talking about. Do you think that RCCL had a months advance warning of the path of Franklin? This storm literally spun up to tropical storm strength just a day or so earlier.
RCCL made an inteligent and prudent decision to avoid sailing in a storm , docking in a storm and having to leave port early because of the storm. The ship was taken to the best available alternative ports.
I don't know what the weather was where you ended up going, but Sunday morning in Bermuda there was torrential rain and high winds during a violent thunderstorm. Sunday night there was yet again thunder and rain. It rained ALL DAY Monday. Tuesday the sun was shining but there were high winds and surf and small craft warnings.
The weather report for Wednesday and Thursday (today) was for rain and wind from the storm and a shearing cold front.
THIS IS THE NATURE OF CRUISING.
Sorry your trip was disrupted but some of you need a reality adjustment.
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM
gerif

Well put, PapaBill - I'm sure if RCCL had decided to go to Bermuda anyway, wmiii and the rest of the people on board would be p*ssing and moaning about how they were stuck with torrential rains, rough seas, etc., for the entire trip and how could the cruiseline do this to them. The cruiseline is NOT responsible for the weather and does not owe anyone compensation because of it - isn't that what trip insurance is for???? Incidentally, for a five day cruise, there really was nowhere else the ship could have gone under the circumstances.
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
cricket55

I would like to point out to Americans (and others with misconceptions about Canada) that it is not a "cold country". Most of our weather in June and July has been in the high 90's. Parts of Canada are actually much warmer than many of the northern U.S. states. Southern Ontario (a province where Toronto is located) is on the same latitude as northern California. Did the person who posted about the cold, rain and fog ever consider that weather was likely a spin-off of the hurricane weather that they should be grateful that RCCL missed. On my first cruise, RCCL diverted to miss a hurricane and we had a great trip and were grateful not to be put in harm's way. Please stop talking about Canada like we all live in igloos 12 months of the year.
Old July 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just 11 of 'em, right?

I kid, I kid. One of my best friends lives in Alberta.
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Glenn Comunale

I have a co-worker who is on the Norweign Crown to Bermuda right now.He left on Sunday also ,As far as I know his ship was not diverted and they sailed to Bermuda. So how come NCL goes through with the original cruise and RCL doesen't? Also I have a web cam picture of the Norweign Majesty in Bermuda right now and its sunny and dry.If I was on the VOS and knew this I would be really upset. By the way last month my wife and I wrer on the Dawn and due to a engine problem the last and best stop, Nassau was cancelled and the ship spent two days sailing back to New York .NCL gave a two hundred dollar credit to each stateroom tab $100 per person people were screaming foul but now it looks pretty good . The people on RCL should get a 50% credit towards another cruise.
Old July 28th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Nicely put Cricket!! I get that living in Buffalo!! People think it snows 10 months out of the year and that we use dog sleds to get around! Would rather shovel snow though, than be stuck in a flood, hurricane, tornado, mudslide, or earthquake!

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lisa K, no one in the article I read was saying they wanted to be steered into harm's way. I think they were just concerned about not being able to visit a comparable climate.

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

WMSii is stating what I thought the customers would be concerned with, and what I stated in my first post. I have taken the Voyager leaving from Bayonne to the exact ports listed for the exact same time frame... and the cost for all cabins was substantially different. (Read: Cheaper).

EDIT: There's no insurance that covers the cost differential. It really is a loss if it happens.

*praying for good weather*

Post Edited (07-28-05 18:07)

Old July 28th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Did the Crown leave from the NYC area?

Old July 28th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Glenn Comunale

Just for Kain: Yes the Crown Left N.Y.C. on Sunday at 4 P.M. on the west side of Manhattan . Since I didn't read anything about their cruise being changed I assume that they got to Bermuda. Of course that was a seven day trip so maybe NCL figured that once they got through the weather maybe the weather in Bermuda would be ok. Then again NCL has taken heat for not having their paying passengers best intrest at heart.I remember reading that last year the Norweign Majesty sailed back from Bermuda in the wake of a Hurricane all other cruise ships in Bermuda left a day before except the Majesty which stayed on schedule. The passengers on board thought that the ship was sinking, they put on their life jackets on. So how could two large cruise co. make two different decisions ,both leaving the same port on the same day going to the same Island?
Old July 28th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Familiar Face

As for the PR issue, RCCI will simply keep their mouth shut about the whole thing. While they may have 2,000 upset people on board, like it or not, they are still getting a 5 day cruise. Every single one of them should have been aware of the possiblity of a hurricane, and the ship simply wasn't going to detour to the Bahamas just because. Heck, even if it did, the people on board would spend 4 days at sea and only get to visit 1 port at the most, so I'm sure most guests on baord would still be flipping out.

Back to that PR issue: This is not the same as the Wendy's finger in the chili massacre. No one is going to turn on their TV News and see that a cruise ship had to visit a different port. While the 2,000 people on board will probably tell their family and friends about the horrible experience, chances are most of them weren't going to be cruising anytime soon anyway. I don't know the actual rates of people that return to cruise again, but say if that rate is 50% (or 1,000 from this cruise), most of them will probably cruise again, regardless of their experiences on this trip. Some may switch cruise companies next time, but they are still going to encounter the same risks, and if these cruisers are RCCI fans, they probably won't be happy on a competitor's ship anyway.

Thus, the PR issue is really a non issue.
Old July 29th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Glenn... I guess that's a mystery! I wonder if the Crown passengers for that sailing experienced hardship weather wise. I've not really heard the greatest things about NCL,, but maybe I should lurk on the other board and see.

Old July 29th, 2005, 10:27 AM
straycat

Everyone wants a free cruise! If they packed for Bermuda and went somewhere cold, they should just belly up to the buffet, cut in front of someone, complain about the food and the entertainment and go to bed after turning up the heat in their stateroom and leave the rest of us alone!
Old July 29th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

I don't think that's fair to say, I didn't see in the article where anyone wanted a free cruise.

Old July 29th, 2005, 11:32 AM
gerif

We were on the 5/29 Voyager to Bermuda - hey, it was cold, it rained Tuesday, the street fair at the dock was cancelled because of high wind and rain, way too cold to use the pools - I want a credit!!!! The following weeks had warm weather and a near-drought, BTW.
Old July 29th, 2005, 12:40 PM
hcat

So how was Halifax--hope you had good weather . It is such a great port!
Old July 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to CZodda

I was watching our local ABC news here in NYC this morning and they were covering this....RCI was having fits with them filming at the pier, and they were asked to move their setup three times - oye!

Anyway, one of the stories they were telling was of a couple or a family that actually CAME DOWN FROM CANADA to take the cruise to Bermuda. Imagine their surprise when they woke up back home!

Hope it all works out for all who were on this cruise. I'm pulling for you.

Have a great weekend everybody,

Cathy