Old June 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Best beach at Key West? (Rhapsody of the Seas)

We're traveling with kids, aged 6,8,12
6/18/06 sailing. We plan to take the kids to Butterfly Farm, ride the Conch train and to a beach. Any suggestions? We'll be there from 3 p.m. to midnight.... Thanks!! Clay
Old June 13th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Butterfly Farm and Conch Train close rather early. By the time you do these attractions (early), it might be too late to really enjoy a beach. I would suggest that you go to Mallory Square to catch the sunset and watch all the street entertainers. I think you and your kids would really like Mallory Square - very "happenin" an hour or so before Sunset.

Just a suggestion.

LL
Old June 13th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Passenger

Default Two Beaches for you

Ft. Zachary Taylor Beach Description:

67 acres of pristine beach and forest. A perfect destination for a bike ride or relaxing walk. Bring your aqua shoes because there is crushed coral everywhere. The turquoise warm waters are great for swimming and snorkeling. There are showers, a concession stand and beach chair rentals available. This is the locals favorite beach. small entrance fee.

Smathers Beach Description:

Key West's largest public beach. Spend the day soaking in the rays on this 1 mile stretch of fine sand beach. Bring aqua shoes if you plan on swimming. There are food and beverage vendors, volleyball courts, showers and bathrooms. You can rent beach chairs, windsurfers, jet skis, kayaks and umbrellas at several locations along the beach.

Almost every beach on key west I always wore sneakers on the beach and aqua shoes in the water, the coral is very sharp and I saw lots of glass on the sand, could have just been that week I was there.

Any questions feel free to email me,

[email protected]
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Admiral

jdfurtado mentioned Fort Zachary Taylor Beach...it is very close to the pier where the ships dock but it does not stay open late. Smathers Beach is a taxi ride from the docks and there is no admission fee. There is an open-air restaurant in Key West called Monty's that has a very large pool in the middle of the restaurant for patron's use. Maybe this would be a better option if you're late returning from your other tours. It's a great place for families to hang out, they have good food and beverages. Monty's is an easy walk from the docks, just call them prior to arrival to make sure their pool isn't being cleaned that day. My grandson loves their fish tacos!! If you decide to watch the sunset from Mallory Dock, walk to the back of the Hilton (facing the water) and walk up the stairs to the second floor open deck bar area...great drinks, great view, and live entertainment. The children can watch the Cat Man and his performing felines.
Old June 16th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cat man?

Tell me about the Cat Man...we've missed that in our numerous trips to KW.

LL
Old June 16th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

The Cat Man is a Key West sunset institution. He used to perform on Mallory Dock but has relocated to the dock in back of the Hilton Hotel. The Cat Man has trained felines to jump thru flaming hoops, walk a tightrope, etc. I make sure I take my grandson to see his show whenever we are visiting Key West.
Old June 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow! Thanks for the info on Cat Man - I'll stroll over by the Hilton next time we are in KW.

LL
Old June 21st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Beginner

Don't forget to get a piece of frozen chocolate coated key lime pie on a stick at the Blond Giraffe. It is not far from the port, anyone can tell you where it is.
It's awsome.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 05:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Djcarolina

Well we travel to Key West every year for spring break and I am a street performer on Mallory Square (mallory square dock is where the ROTS will dock) Smathers beach is a very popular tourist beach but maintains the beauty of true key west. I would definetly reccomend going to the Sunset Celebration on the dock. I have worked there for many years with performers like Rondini alexander, Jeep and Mo (Now Jeep and Cleo), and the various other performers. My link www.sunsetcelebration.org/performers/ryan Hope you have a great vacation. Any other questions send them to me i'm sure i can answer them. IM, PM or e-mail [email protected]

Oasis of the Seas
Allure of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Brilliance of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Monarch of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Sovereign of the Seas