Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 24th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Beginner

Default Could we bring beer and/or wine aboard RCCL?

I would think that a 6-pack and a bottle of wine, discreetly hand-carried, should not be a problem. Anybody done anything like this?
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Admiral

If you do...the cruises line will take it and hold it until you disembark.

Once for our wedding anniversary...we took a small bottle of wine...it's a very special type of wine, no sulfites (I'm allergic)...Anyway, they held it, then on the night on the night of our anniversary, we had it in our cabin.

Now, if we had wanted it served at dinner...there would have been a corkage fee...I think it's $15.00 now.

Beer is another story...I think they're going to hold it no matter what the reason.

Drinks are so cheap on the ship...very much like what you would find in Port...and every night they have various drink specials, etc. I'd say leave it at home, its not worth the hassle or worry.

BTW: We do bring bottles of our own water and our own coffee! (We like Star Bucks and can't stand the ships coffee in the buffet)...No problem. And I've seen others bring their own can soda...but not alcohol...that's different.
Old June 24th, 2006, 06:16 PM
StephenAGoreJr

in the suitcase you give to be put on I have had a case of beer in mine. that saved for nights when they stopped serving or for when I was in the room and wanted a beer. No problem. The parents bring liquor all the time you just have to put it in a plastic bottle. Also they won't let you bring liquor but EVERYTIME i have ever brought beer back on the ship they didn't say a word. a group of about 10-15 of us all brough back 1 dollar beers from st. martin and they didn't say a word. Enjoy!
Old June 24th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Hi not2bzzy2cruz,

You can order wine for your stateroom from the list here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/giftca...o?catCode=WINE

Since I don't drink wine, I don't know how the prices compare to "at home" prices. This seems like the easiest option to me.

Also, this is from their website:

Quote:
Can I bring my own liquor onboard?
We apologize for any inconvenience but due to our regulatory and licensing requirements guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind onboard for consumption or any other use.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty-free from the Shops On Board or at ports of call will be stored by us and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of your voyage. A member of our staff will be at the gangway to assist with the storage of your purchases.

This policy may not apply to every ship or itinerary depending on local laws, customs, or license requirements. Royal Caribbean is not responsible for fines imposed or items confiscated by local authorities.
I find this interesting, as other lines do allow you to bring wine or champagne onboard. Anyone know why RCI doesn't?

If you want to try to bring your own, pack your bottle in bubble wrap and a zipper bag and put it in your checked luggage. Be sure it's well wrapped! You don't want "winey" clothes !

Hi Fieldmouse,

What kind of wine have you found without sulfites? The reason I don't drink wine is because even one glass gives me a terrible headache ! I'd like to try whatever you've found!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Admiral

Fern:

I can't have any sulfites because of severe allergies...so I thought my wine days were over. BUT there are a few wineries, and the number is growing, that produce wine without added sulfites.

The labels that I know and have tasted are:

1. Badger mountain (they have a wonderful Ports and white wine)
2. LaRocca Vineyard (white, reds, and Cabs)
3. Honeyrun (reds, and wines that are a little sweeter)
4. Fray? (easist to find)

There are at least 2-3 MORE lables...I just can't think of them right now. All have on their labels 'NO ADDED SULFITES'

DON'T BE FOOLED because a lable says 'Organic'...this has nothing to do with adding or not adding sulfites. I learned the hard way!!!

Trader Joe's carries some organic wines...these wines HAVE SULFITES!

'Whole foods' has a great section with non-sulfite wines...or you can order directly from LaRocca Vineyards, which I have done...they have a neat website. Sometimes your local Health food co-op will have a small section dedicated to organic AND wine with no sulfites. Just remember that NO SULFITES has to be on the label.

The wines are good to excellent and the prices very reasonable.

BTW: My husband has begun to notice that he sometimes gets a nasty headache after drinking some wines...It has to do with the amount of sulfites added by the winery to stop the fermentation process. Some lables use a lot!

Hope this helps!
Old June 25th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks, Fieldmouse!

I've printed out your suggestions and will try some of these!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old June 26th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I always do.... put it in your checked luggage though. The don't condone it and stopped letting you but it in the liqour store after George Smith went overboard. Just be discreet about it. Don't wheel in a cooler full to the check-in and you will be fine.

Here is a recent trip of mine....

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Dave,

That's quite a stash you got there...but what did you do for the last six days of the cruise??

LL
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:24 AM
StephenAGoreJr

How did you get the cooler in? I think it would be AWESOME if I could bring my cooler onboard. I like to be sketchy though and put it in my bag. Take care yall.
Old July 18th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I brought an 18pack and 2 big water bottles full of rum and tequila, tequila mixer, 3 bottles of wine. all were in my checked luggage. When the porter at the dock took our bags(4) I tipped him a $10 and said "make sure this gets in my room" he said "don't worry it will be waiting for you" and it was. Also brought 4 boxes of booze off the boat and half of what I brought with me (except the beer) was a little worried when I had turn in my customs slip. I had to put the boxes down to hand the guy the slip and all that happened was he said"have a nice day". This was my first cruise and after what I went through booze wise I feel I could have carried it in on top of my head and no one would have cared. I still had a $300 bar bill! I accidently spilled a LI iced tea I purchased trying to help my wife with her lounger. I asked the waiter about getting another and he said I'd have to pay for it. Another came along and I said another waiter kicked it over and he said "Do you want another" I said yes and he brought me back a double and smiled cause I think he knew I was lying, no charge. I told him you are my waiter the rest of the cruise
Old July 18th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rescuedad, you must be so proud...

LL
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Stephen,

I used the cooler as my carry one with my docs, camera, wallet, and misc. stuff. Then when my luggage came, the steward filled it with ice and I kept my beers cold. The cooler is perfect size. Holds a 12 pack, has a shoulder strap and is only about 6 inches wide. 8)

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsluvr

LL
Wow! Even if I did that...which I WOULDN'T...I'd never admit it...to anyone...let alone my spouse...
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightsluvr

LL
Wow! Even if I did that...which I WOULDN'T...I'd never admit it...to anyone...let alone my spouse...
I missed something. admit what!
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Admiral

I think she is talking about mooching a free drink.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Admiral

I asked for a table! non available! I was moving the chaise partly for another passenger to fit one in and it spilled. With the amount of alcohol served on the ship the cost of my drink had to cost pennies to the cruise line. a small price to pay to make a happy customer. And a waiter made some nice tips since I purchased all my alcohol only from him. Never been in a Bar or restaurant that did not refill a drink no charge.
Old July 19th, 2006, 06:19 PM
Beginner

Do I understand correctly and you can no longer bring a bottle of liquor, from the store on board, back to your room even if you pay the consumption charge? I have not cruised in a while and don't like sneaking anything on board. However if sneak you must. I know a few of you like a drink in the cabin before dinner or after or...
Old July 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Admiral

lbear you are correct. If you buy liquor at the ships store they will hold your purchase until the end of the cruise. Same things goes if you buy liquor in port. There is a separate line at check-in for you to check your alcoholic purchases,you fill out a form and your liquor is delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise.
You can purchase a bon-voyage gift of alcohol to be sent to your room.