Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Admiral

What a small world we share Dave..I met Michael back in the early 80's at Oakland airport (he had his chimp with him on the airplane that he purchased a 1st class seat for) and found him to be very shy, and very tall and thin..He also had his oldest sister Rebee with him who I think is the best looking of all the Jackson sisters

Glad he taught you the moon walk move..that comes in really handy these days on the dance floor at night in Miami..I bet when you do that move the women go crazy !!!!
Old July 10th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

Venice, we must have been posting at the same time. Check out my previous post.

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Admiral

Nice form..he must inherit his athletic talent from his Mom !!!

You might teach him golf so he can make you alot of money when he turns professional. On 60 minutes last night they had a segment on David Jeter and how much his father taught him about baseball and life and being competitive...
Old July 10th, 2006, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

His mom never played baseball, I did. I am righthanded too. When you swing for the fences you don't have to worry about batting from the cissy side of the plate so you can beat the throw to 1st base.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 10th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Admiral

when I played little league baseball our coach taught us to be able to bat from both sides, a skill that came in handy when he wanted to do a squeeze play to get the runner home from third base

When I got to high school my inability to hit a curve ball cost me my baseball career and led me to discover women !!

On a serious note, if you ever get the chance to take your sons to both Cooperstown to see the Baseball Hall of Fame and Omaha, to see the college world series, it will be experiences they will always remember

Baseball reminds me of a sea day on a cruise ship...the action is in slow motion, you can enjoy the flavor of the ball park or the motion of the water
Old July 11th, 2006, 12:42 AM
StephenAGoreJr

dave maybe you can tell me a little about orlando and how you liked it. I might be moving there this fall. Still looking for that after college REAL job, anyways keep in touch!
Old July 11th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Admiral

Great town but landlocked. When I cam to St Pete to go to College, I never looked back. Mom is still there so I go over often though.

"It's My hometown... my hometown...running with a dime in my hand... to the bustop to pick... up a paper for my old man... use to sit in his lap in that big old Buick and steer as we drove through town...he used to tossle my hair and say son take a good look around.... this is your hometown, this is your hometown"

Now I sing this song to my son as he sits in my lap in my Element and I let him steer through the neighborhood. He had me save it onto his Ipod.

Bruce Springsteen in case you are too young for this one. I know you kids listen to different stuff these days.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Wave
Well put, Venice. Although, we will never know if you can keep up until we find ourselves aboard the same ship.
well I just turned 52 and most say I look younger-hubby is 47 so I "robbed the cradle" I guess! Most people think he is older then me and he does not like that at all! and he looks pretty good to me!

The other day we went to Frire Mountain after meeting services with members from our congregation. We had our 22 year old daughter with us. She is only 5'1" and super tiny-she wears a double zero-the stupid waitress/hostess asked if she was under 12.

I replied "no-she's an adult and a college graduate".

Later on we looked at our receipt and we see they charged us for one adult and 2 senior citizens! We laughed pretty hard about that.

I haven't signed up for the AARP yet but I have heard you can get discounts on cruises. Has anyone? and how much?
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Dave The Wave...so you are driving with your son in your lap ? Is that where your girl Brittany gets it from ? (VBG)

Did you know "The Boss" was at Jazzfest in New Orleans this year ? He was awesome and what really stayed in my mind was the cross section of ages and colors of people that party with him..Next year, DTW you should come to New Orleans for Jazz Fest and hang out with me..I have a Black VW turbo beetle which may not be as cool at your "element" but it attracts 52 year old good looking women like "momofmeg" (VBG) !!
Old July 12th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
the other day we went to Frire Mountain after meeting services with members from our congregation. We had our 22 year old daughter with us. She is only 5'1" and super tiny-she wears a double zero-the stupid waitress/hostess asked if she was under 12.

I was in the supermarket last weekend and purchasing some beer. When the clerk asked me for my ID I was floored. I told her I am well over the legal age ( 40 ++) and I can't wait to tell everyone I know that I was carded.

Carol 8)

Old July 12th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Admiral

I would love to get up there. My first car was a '68 Beetle! I had 5 VW Bus's after that. When the '82 had an engine fire and went up in a blaze of glory in the streets of Orlando, I bought the Element.

Yes, every time he gets in the car, he say's, "Daddy, can I steer?" SO I let him. Just like my dad let me. Yes, you are right about Brittney. I forgot about that. She learned that from me.

They fight over who's turn it is to drive the boat....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Admiral

I think that's how most of us learned to drive from sitting in our parents lap..now they have driver's ed, how boring !!!!

You'll never regret all the time you spend with your sons..pretty soon, they'll be too busy with lives of their own but they might send you on a "Meatloaf and The Boss Oldies Reunion Theme Cruise sponsored by ******" when you are old (in your case old starts at 80)

The best part of when your sons grow up they become fathers and have sons that you can hang out with (I'm experiencing that now and it is great to take 2 /1/2 year old grandson in the turbo beetle like I did his Dad)..the second best part your sons will attract younger women for you (VBG)
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Yes, you are right. My dad has a lot of fun with my kids. Taking them to water parks and Disney and what-not.

BTW, they did have Turbo Beetles back then.... they were zero to 60 in 60 seconds!

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:38 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
pretty soon, they'll be too busy with lives of their own
Ahhhh, can anyone sing Cat's in the Cradle? Harry Chapin....
Tracy
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolrd
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg
the other day we went to Frire Mountain after meeting services with members from our congregation. We had our 22 year old daughter with us. She is only 5'1" and super tiny-she wears a double zero-the stupid waitress/hostess asked if she was under 12.

I was in the supermarket last weekend and purchasing some beer. When the clerk asked me for my ID I was floored. I told her I am well over the legal age ( 40 ++) and I can't wait to tell everyone I know that I was carded.

Carol 8)
Oh they always card me too-but I know it becuase it is required- I look a little younger then my real age but I know I look at least my forties! now my daughter-they always look at her like how could she be over 21-but she is.

Hubby and I both always joke and say we are just "barely" over 21 when we get carded!
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Admiral

I've long since retired and my son has moved away
I called him up just the other day
I said "I love to see you if you don't mind"
He said "I loved to Dad, if I could find the time"

The words are so true, but thank God my son makes the time
Old July 12th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Yes, I know all the words.

"Thanks for the ball dad, come on let's play, can you teach me to throw, I said not today, I got a lot to do, he said that's OK....but his smile never dimmed and he said I'm gonna be like you dad, you know I'm gonna be just like you...."

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Admiral

Dave The Wave. my first car in 1968 was a black 59 beetle with a hole in the floor board..wired open the heating vents to defrost the lower corner on my windows and had to reach my arm around to scrape off the ice and drive at the same time..Paid $29 for an AM radio from Radio Shack..had a 36 horsepower engine (water cool)..thru a quart of oil in it once a year...got 49 miles to a gallon before I went to the reserve tank..went 5 miles an hour up a hill after getting a running start and the very first time I ever "got passed 1st base with a girl " was in the back seat... had 219,000 miles before it died on the New York thruway in 1973 in the middle of the worse snow storm of the century.plus this was when all my classmates parent's had paid for their first car..mustang, camero, firebird etc..all the good looking girls didn't want to be seen in the daylight with me..but then..I purchased a brand new Datsun 240Z (lime yellow)..all of a sudden I was popular but I made a promise that if they didn't want to ride in my beetle, they could not ride in my "Z"

ah yes, those were the days, but I had a heck of alot of fun in the beetle when I took it to Woodstock..In those days if you owed a Micro Beetle, you were really a "hippie"

Dave..did you hear that VW is going to re-introduce the Micro Bus next year ?
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:13 PM
StephenAGoreJr

So some of you have daughters that are in my age range for girls huh. 18-30. I am the sweet southern gentlemen who lives the beach and loves to cruise like yall do. Who would be better for your daughters than I? No kidding here. Take care yall.
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Yeah, those were the good old days, huh? When my grandmother made me curtains for my first VW Bus, she said, "there better not be any hank-panky going on in there!"

I had fun teaching my kids to throw. Then when they asked me to coach the ALL-STAR team, I got to pick my 12 kids and of course put mine where he wanted to be, 2nd base.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Admiral

yes but do you go to church on Sundays with your Mom..and volunteer at the food bank on Saturdays after baseball practice..sign a pledge that says you will not do anything until you get married and tutor poor kids at the after school center 4 nights a week ? If yes, then you can audition to take out anyone's daughter (smile)

Remember father's are the last ones to ask about taking out their daughters because we remember what we were like when we were your age

now mothers are a different story ( VBG)
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
but then..I purchased a brand new Datsun 240Z (lime yellow)..
OH MY GOSH! My father had the SAME car!!! He could only get the lime-green color and had it painted maroon not long after he bought it. Those things were made with japanese scrap metal though, and didn't hold up very well to the chemicals from a Pennsylvania winter. Rusted like mad...

That was probably his single favorite car of all time, his Datsun.

T
Old July 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Admiral

My Dad had a Pacer....

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Admiral

Zozter..mine rusted after one upstate new york winter, but boy was that car a "babe magnet" and attracted new york state troopers (i had 4 speeding tickets ini 6 months and my insurance company told me to sell the car or they would drop me)..when you said your Dad owned onoe, wow, that makes me feel old (VBG)

Dave The Wave...wow, small world , I actually owned a pink Nash Rambler with a white top..it was built like a tank and got 10 miles to the gallon but my parents were happy because they felt I would be safe in it as oppose to the beetle
Old July 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM
First Mate

I was born 9 mos and 8 days after my parents were wed. I may be 40, but they are young....both 63.

T
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Zotzer..maybe when they turn 65 you can buy them one of the new Nissan 'Z's"
Old July 12th, 2006, 06:55 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Zotzer..maybe when they turn 65 you can buy them one of the new Nissan 'Z's"
How about a cruise instead?
Tracy
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Admiral

how about both !!! they raised you and you turned out pretty well, so indulge..remember your kids watch how you treat your parents and they in turn will treat you the same way when you get "old"

why do you think Dave the Wave takes his sons on cruises all the time..the man is not without insight !!! (VBG)
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Admiral

You are absolutley right, Venice. Someday, it will be me the spectator while my sons are entering the belly flop contest.

Song of America Dec '90
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Old July 12th, 2006, 07:43 PM
First Mate

Quote:
remember your kids watch how you treat your parents and they in turn will treat you the same way when you get "old"
Well, considering I don't have any, I'd best save the $$ I'd spend on a Z for Dad, as it doesn't look like anyone will be taking care of me but ME!

T