Old July 30th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Familiar Face

Default Recommended Beaches and Shore Excursions.

We will be cruising on the Adventure on 8/12 with a large group and would like to hear from past passengers who can recommend the BETTER Shore Excursions that they've taken and really enjoyed in Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. Also any Excursions to stay away from is helpful too!
Same with the beaches on those islands, looking for your HIGHEST recommendations from past guests. And those beaches not to go to.
Thanks to all who reply !
Don
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Don.....We sailed on Adventure last October and we had a blast. We did a horseback riding excursion in Barbados, and that was through the cruise-line, we had a great time. We also visited The boat-yard which is a awesome beach in Barbados, if the ship offers an excursin there you should book it, please see below for a few websites on this beach. In St. Lucia we went on our own...I did a lot of research on different beaches before the cruise so we took a taxi there and back, below is a website for this beach called Reduit Beach in St. Lucia. Antigua was the worse island ever, very dirty and we didn't feel safe. Friends of ours did a snorkel catamaran excursion through the ship and they liked it. We visited a beach, can't remember the name because it wasn't worth visiting, be careful in that port because our dinner companions had their purses stolen. I hope this has helped and enjoy the websites I've listed. If I can be of any other help, please feel free to ask.

Jessie

http://www.villasinstlucia.com/redui...st_lucia.shtml

http://www.theboatyard.com/pview.html?p=cruiseship
CCL: Celebration 5/07
Crown Princess 10/07

Free Cruise Clocks
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Admiral

If you are going to Antigua, I recommend taking a tour with Lawrence of Antigua. Good, safe tour, great guy, good price. Lots of fun! Google his name Lawrence of Antigua and tell him Bob from CT sent you. Have used him twice, very nice guy. Let me know how you make out.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Passenger

I wanted to offer my experiences at the islands you mention, Barbados, St. Lucia and Antigua. I have been to each a few times and have generally done the same excursions because they are so phenemonal.

First - Barbados. We booked the BB38 Excursion in the cruise book. This one is called Swim with Turtles, Shipwrecks, Snorkel and Beach. This excursion is amazing. The boat is spacious and fun and they serve free drinks (alcohol too) the entire time in addition to fantastic foods native to Barbados, deserts, snacks etc. This excursion takes almost the whole day but I loved it because you see so much of Barbados in one day. That is always my goal, maximize and see as much as possible. The excursion takes you to shipwrecks, then a wonderful boatride up the West Coast and you next stop at a place they called Turtle Bay and the turtles are everywhere, its so amazing. Then for a few hours they take you to a seculded private beach for swimming and relaxing. This I highly recommend.

Second - Antigua - I have been here a half dozen times. I recommend you take a cab to LONG BAY. This is a phenemenoal beach with some of the best snorkeling I have ever seen in my life and I have been to almost every caribbean island. There are pathways and caverns of snorkeling, but its all shallow and safe. Long Bay is home to the Long Bay resort - heres the site you so can see the beach http://www.longbayhotel.com/
There is a place to use the bathroom, rent snorkels etc, rent umbrellas, get food, etc. This is a quiet non crowded beach we go to time and time again. Not to mention beautiful.

Lastly St Lucia. We never book and excursion through the ship here. What we do is get off the ship, go into the covered area that is where you can arrange a excursion through the Island's CVB. It is all secure its where the Convention and Visitors Bureau allows approved people to take you around the island. We booked this excursion that is $50 per person and this is what you get. Let me mention something first about St. Lucia, you cannot see this island by car. It is not recommended. I can say that b/c I work for a travel magazine! The way to see St Lucia is by boat. The powerboat ride (and its a MASSIVE boat) takes you up the coast - I estimate about a 45 minute boat ride of the phenemonal coastline. I think I took 200 pictures just on the boat! Then you stop in the town of Soufreiere - known for the sulfur mines and spectacular views of the Pitons. You get off the boat and pile in caravans. The drive up the steep mountains to the sulfur mines is beyond breathtaking. Then you arrive to the sulfur mines which is such a sight! After visiting there you are next taken to the Torialle Waterfalls - natural mineral baths. These are grand waterfalls of pure beautiful water and everyone goes in the bottom and swims around, relaxes, etc. Its simply amazing. After that part of the excursion, you reboard the bus back to the boat. Again another breathtaking drive. You reboard the boat and go to Anse Chanset beach for amazing snorkeling and a relaxing afternoon on the beach. There is a resort here (heres the link http://www.mystlucia.org/info_htm/beaches.htm) The last part of the day is back on the boat for a sail back to the port. This is amazing.

I hope this helps a little. Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Beginner

We are leaving 9/9 on our first cruise, so this message board has been a big help. Mmajoyce, can you provide specifics on your St. Lucia outing? I tried to find it but had no luck. We will be traveling with a couple who has gone on many cruises with RCI, and they'd like to join us on that particular adventure, but they couldn't find it on line either. And it is up to ME to book it!

Many thanks! I am not ready to go yet - have some shopping to do, although husband wants to "travel light".