Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:15 PM
Familiar Face

Default Allure of the Seas with a 1 yr old?

I'm planning a family vacation (5 people, kids age 12, 6, and 1) and we're debating between Disney and RCL. The major difference at this point seems to be no pool access for those not potty trained and I'm not worried about that...I can work around that. Any other thoughts, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old January 23rd, 2011, 01:21 PM
Admiral

I would imagine there would be no pool access for those not ''potty trained'' anywhere.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:50 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Sorry, but johnthed0g is wrong......there are splash pools for 1 year old and thoses not potty trained on some of the RCL Ships......

Quote from RCL website: "Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups or who are not COMPLETELY toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, whirlpools or H2O zone. Children in diapers or who are not toilet trained may use the Baby Splash Zone specially designated for them on the Freedom of the SeasŪ, Liberty of the SeasŪ, Independence of the SeasŪ, Oasis of the Seas SM and Allure of the Seas SM."

I am not sure about Disney's new ships, but I'm sure you can search their website for the same info.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have to say, I would not put kids of mine, in that pool, along with me beside them, for anything..They should be called bacteria pools...If I had a toddle/infant, I would bring a small blow up pool, and put it next to my lounger by the pool,and feel more comfortable.

Anyone bringing a pampered baby into the main pool,should be ready for stares, and, possible "chats" about it, from the staff, and, or passengers.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 23rd, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Admiral

You said POOL not childrens splash pool.... but if your child is leaking bacteria into the "pool" so are the others presumably, then you have to handle junior & possibly spread the aforesaid germs all around, doesn't sound ideal to me.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Disney resorts allow swim diapers. Don't know about their ships though.

On DREAM, I saw kids in swim diapers in the main pool. Not sure if the mom was ever "told"

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:55 PM
Familiar Face

Pools are bacteria filled in general because there are many older children and adults who do things in pools they shouldn't. As far as splash pools, that's all I was thinking, because after all, he's only going to be one. I was thinking of doing the blow up pool option anyway.

Any other thoughts on bringing a child that young? With my older two, we waited until they were 3 and potty trained before taking a cruise with them and had a break from cruising between the two. This one was a little unexpected but a pleasant surprise and decided to give it a go.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 10:58 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarsl View Post
Pools are bacteria filled in general because there are many older children and adults who do things in pools they shouldn't. As far as splash pools, that's all I was thinking, because after all, he's only going to be one. I was thinking of doing the blow up pool option anyway.

Any other thoughts on bringing a child that young? With my older two, we waited until they were 3 and potty trained before taking a cruise with them and had a break from cruising between the two. This one was a little unexpected but a pleasant surprise and decided to give it a go.
RCL has a wonderful Mommy and Me type sessions. We were on Freedom of the Seas with our just turned 2 yr old. They had a ton of the classic Fisher Price Little People Toys and even little ride ons for the kids. There was an instructor playing games and doing sing alongs. They also let you check out toys to take to your cabin.

Wish I had thought to bring a blow up pool or even the Munchkin Blow up Duck Bath. We did put our son in the baby splash pool (never should have listened to the hubby) and he got so sick. The only pediatric antibiotics on board gave him a rash so then we had a sick and itchy baby with a $500 medical bill from the ships Dr.

I think your one year old will love the Merry Go Round and the Mommy and Me type playgroups. We met other nice couples with kids in the group and created our own additional play dates. Our true savior was taking a portable dvd player with us to the dinners and letting him watch whatever he wanted while we finished our dinners. The restaurants are so loud we didn't have to even worry about the volume.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big 5-0 View Post
I think your one year old will love the Merry Go Round and the Mommy and Me type playgroups. We met other nice couples with kids in the group and created our own additional play dates. Our true savior was taking a portable dvd player with us to the dinners and letting him watch whatever he wanted while we finished our dinners. The restaurants are so loud we didn't have to even worry about the volume.
Great tips! Thank you!