Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Default Can you bring wine on board?

I have heard so many conflicting things, I'm not sure what to believe...

I know you can't bring alcohol, so we won't be trying to smuggle any Grey Goose in our "water" bottles.

But, can you bring a few bottles of wine on board and pay some kind of corkage fee? Will we be allowed to have our wine in our room? Or is it only at dinner? Can you order cocktails or wine via room service? If so, is it outrageously priced?

And our we allowed to bring a certain number of sodas?

We've never cruised, but we will be on Allure. Help or tips is greatly appreciated. This site is fabulous...I'd be lost if I didn't have the help from you seasoned cruisers. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Queen of Oakville's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 1,224
Default

Since this is the Royal forum, the answer is no.

Hop on over to Carnival or HAL, and i will give you a different answer.
__________________

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:28 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Absolutely not with RCL. They are really getting stringent in checking as well. Celebrity will allow one bottle of wine per person.

They seem to be allowing a half dozen cans of pop. You can order drinks from room service although if you just want plain (rum and coke) you can make them yourself from your mini-fridge.

You can buy the wine package. I don't know enough about it to give you an intelligent answer as we very seldom drink wine.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Absolutely not with RCL. They are really getting stringent in checking as well. Celebrity will allow one bottle of wine per person.

They seem to be allowing a half dozen cans of pop. You can order drinks from room service although if you just want plain (rum and coke) you can make them yourself from your mini-fridge.

You can buy the wine package. I don't know enough about it to give you an intelligent answer as we very seldom drink wine.
Thanks for that!

Regarding the soda...so you're saying RC will allow 6 cans per person?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:45 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I don't really know as there are only 2 of us. Well, yes, we do usually take a 12 pack if we can find someplace to pick one up. I suppose if you are a family of 4 and go for 24 you may have issues. I wouldn't try more that a dozen.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 405
Default

You can buy a bottle of wine onboard from any bar and bring it to your cabin or purchase wine in advance via www.rccl.com and have the bottle delivered to your cabin on the first day of the cruise. RCL policy does not allow passengers to bring their own booze onboard the ship; this includes wine. RCL has a wine package, which basically allows you to "pre-purchase" so many wines throughout the duration of your cruise. The wine packages are normally sold within the dining room. Be careful though, once you "buy the package" you own those bottles, even if you don't finish them by the end of the trip - no refunds. You can always ask them to bring to your cabin so you can enjoy them outside the dinning room. As an example, on my last cruise, I met a young lady who had two bottles still in her package by the last day of the cruise; they simiple gave her both bottles and she drank them by the pool and elsewhere onboard.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old January 26th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Queen of Oakville's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 1,224
Default

The RC Soda package is pretty good. I think its about $45 for the week, and gets you unlimitted (fountain) soda.
__________________

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:29 AM
Wando's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
You can buy a bottle of wine onboard from any bar and bring it to your cabin or purchase wine in advance via www.rccl.com and have the bottle delivered to your cabin on the first day of the cruise. RCL policy does not allow passengers to bring their own booze onboard the ship; this includes wine. RCL has a wine package, which basically allows you to "pre-purchase" so many wines throughout the duration of your cruise. The wine packages are normally sold within the dining room. Be careful though, once you "buy the package" you own those bottles, even if you don't finish them by the end of the trip - no refunds. You can always ask them to bring to your cabin so you can enjoy them outside the dinning room. As an example, on my last cruise, I met a young lady who had two bottles still in her package by the last day of the cruise; they simiple gave her both bottles and she drank them by the pool and elsewhere onboard.
One other addition to what you have posted, if you purchase wine (or are gifted wine by friends or a TA) and have it delivered to your cabin, and you want to take it to the dining room, be aware that you will likely be charged a corkage fee (I believe it is $12) to do that. It is one of Royal Caribbean's bizzare rules that they will charge a corkage fee on wine purchased from them if it isn't delivered to the dining room.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wando View Post
One other addition to what you have posted, if you purchase wine (or are gifted wine by friends or a TA) and have it delivered to your cabin, and you want to take it to the dining room, be aware that you will likely be charged a corkage fee (I believe it is $12) to do that. It is one of Royal Caribbean's bizzare rules that they will charge a corkage fee on wine purchased from them if it isn't delivered to the dining room.
So, just to be sure I understand...if I buy a wine package and decide to have a bottle delivered to my room to drink there in the room, and then change my mind and take it with me to the dining room, RCI will charge $12 for corkage. But if I have the wine package and just go directly to dinner and ask for one of my bottles during dinner, there is no additional charge. Is that right?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old January 27th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 405
Default

If you buy the wine package, then you won't be hit with any cockage fees. The bottles that support the wine package are hosted by the dinning room staff. Your dinning room wine stewart would be the individual who gets the bottles for you. If you determine to finish the bottle outside the dinning room, then no problem. If you have the package then you should be ok.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Wando's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom1 View Post
So, just to be sure I understand...if I buy a wine package and decide to have a bottle delivered to my room to drink there in the room, and then change my mind and take it with me to the dining room, RCI will charge $12 for corkage. But if I have the wine package and just go directly to dinner and ask for one of my bottles during dinner, there is no additional charge. Is that right?
If you have the wine delivered to the dining room there is no charge, but if you have it delivered to the stateroom and bring it to the dining room you may be charged the corkage fee. I say may from what I've read the waiter may look the other way, but there is no guarantee.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old January 27th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Wando's Avatar
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
If you buy the wine package, then you won't be hit with any cockage fees. The bottles that support the wine package are hosted by the dinning room staff. Your dinning room wine stewart would be the individual who gets the bottles for you. If you determine to finish the bottle outside the dinning room, then no problem. If you have the package then you should be ok.
It is my understanding, though I may be incorrect, that you have the option when buying the wine package to have all/some delivered to the dining room or stateroom.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old January 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 405
Default

That may be possible, you can confirm with the wine stewart in the dining room. Generally speaking the program was designed for you to take advantage of during dinner.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 27
Default

Why not use the corkscrew they bring with wine ordered for the cabin and open the bottle and take the opened bottle to the dining room? On Carnival I usually mix a drink or have wine from the mini-bar and take it with me to the show or dinner. Lots of people carry their drinks from the bar to the dining room on all lines.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:04 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I believe it's a case of see the bottle - charge for the bottle. Carrying a glass of wine or a drink is fine but I don't think the cork in or out is going to stop them from charging you.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lone Grove, OK USA
Posts: 93
Default

So on the soda package, is it $45 per person or per cabin?
__________________
Read me: The Therapy Journals of the Fat-Headed Klingon Woman - http://lenadeeanne.wordpress.com

New to Cruising- UNTIL...

Allure of the Seas- 2012!

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:23 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

That would be per person.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lone Grove, OK USA
Posts: 93
Default

And I'm guessing they frown on paying for the soda package on one card and taking turns being the one to drink soda at each meal?
__________________
Read me: The Therapy Journals of the Fat-Headed Klingon Woman - http://lenadeeanne.wordpress.com

New to Cruising- UNTIL...

Allure of the Seas- 2012!

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:41 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

YOu're right, but I think people do. They put a sticker on the room key so they know who it belongs to.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
board, bringing, carobbeam, delivered, drinks, onboard, packages, princess, purchase, royal, seas, serenade, soda, suite, wine

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bring Your Own Wine On-board Terri M. Ask CruiseMates Staff 2 June 13th, 2005 12:44 PM
Best wine to bring on board the Victory? snorkelman Carnival Cruise Lines 4 May 6th, 2005 01:32 PM
Can we bring wine on board at embarkation ? barb0701 Costa 3 March 31st, 2004 04:06 PM
can we bring wine on board? Phyl Disney 5 August 10th, 2003 06:15 PM
Bring wine on board? Happy Camper Carnival Cruise Lines 5 April 25th, 2003 05:37 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:14 PM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1