Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Gluten Free at the Buffet

Hi everyone,

I have Celiac and am on a strict Gluten Free diet. I will be going on the Royal Caribbean, Freedom of the Seas and have been reading some blogs on the internet and it sounds like there won't be many choices for me to eat for lunch at the buffet. I'm worried that I will be only eating salad or white rice for lunch all week.

Has anyone gone on this cruise ship? What options were there at the buffet? Also at the BBQ in Labadee? Any tips on what to bring in terms of snacks? Can I bring food from the breakfast buffet on the port for my lunch. I'm not sure if they will be taken away or allowed off the ship.

Any tips would be great and helpful. I'm getting a little anxious about the food situation.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat77 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have Celiac and am on a strict Gluten Free diet. I will be going on the Royal Caribbean, Freedom of the Seas and have been reading some blogs on the internet and it sounds like there won't be many choices for me to eat for lunch at the buffet. I'm worried that I will be only eating salad or white rice for lunch all week.

Has anyone gone on this cruise ship? What options were there at the buffet? Also at the BBQ in Labadee? Any tips on what to bring in terms of snacks? Can I bring food from the breakfast buffet on the port for my lunch. I'm not sure if they will be taken away or allowed off the ship.

Any tips would be great and helpful. I'm getting a little anxious about the food situation.

Thanks!
I did my first "gluten free" cruise last month on Carnival. It wasn't that hard to stay gluten free. Yes: There will be a number of things you won't be able to enjoy but you already know that. I was also diagnosed with Celiac's disease and unlike those that are gluten free by choice those with Celiac's can have a bad reaction if they eat gluten.

The tricky things are sauces and meats. Many sauces are made with flour and not easily spotted. The thing I was impressed with was that the staff at the buffet always answered my question if something was gluten free. If they didn't know they ALWAYS ASKED. There were plenty of choices that were gluten free. Meats, potatoes, rice dishes, salads and ice creams.

In the MDR I spoke with the maitre'd and told him I was gluten free and every night I had a menu that showed the gluten free offerings.

This is Carnival and not Royal Caribbean so things may be a bit different but cruise lines do a pretty good job of accommodating special diets.

My best advice is for you or your agent to contact the "Special Needs" department and inform them you will have a special diet. I also suggest seeing the maitre'd as soon as you board and inform him/her that you have a gluten free diet.

You can take whatever you like, within reason, from the ship to Labadee. I think you will find a number of gluten free items at the buffet.

I know you'll have a wonderful cruise even with the gluten restrictions. I know I did.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:06 PM
Admiral

I personally urge people to check with their physicians . I am on a gluten free diet at home . My Gastroenterologist believes that if I stay on my medication while cruising I can eat anything .I've yet to have a problem . The only things I do not eat/drink are chocolate and alcohol.
Old April 21st, 2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
I personally urge people to check with their physicians . I am on a gluten free diet at home . My Gastroenterologist believes that if I stay on my medication while cruising I can eat anything .I've yet to have a problem . The only things I do not eat/drink are chocolate and alcohol.
Henry,

I agree that people should always check with their physician and get sound medical advice.

However, there is no "medication" for Celiac disease, other than not eating gluten. There are other types of GI problems where a gluten free diet and medications can help but Celiac is not one of them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old April 21st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Admiral

I was not aware of that ,thanks for the clarification .
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default gluten free

I suffer from this celeacs to, the one thing most people do not understand here in Aust, is that any form of food thickener (with a 4 Number) or vegetable gum, which is a derivative of wheat! can set off the pain, So, hard ice cream? a no no, soft serve seems to be fine as it's not frozen so no thickener added, plain Cadbury choc is good, not many others, The one good thing about gluten free diet? healthy eating keeps the weight controled!
Old February 3rd, 2013, 08:47 PM
Familiar Face

Smile Ceoliac

Hi, just did 7 nights in Hong Kong, (Not a cruise) I found it very difficult to be gluten free! even rice seemed to be thickened with flour! as a young waiter explained when he realised I was having that at breakfast with fruit, finally found a steak house,(sauce on the side so I didn't eat it!) and a coffee shop who grilled fish for me with plain rice and salad.
I cruise on Serenade of the Seas in Sept out of Barcelona, so I really hope they have got it together for gluten free foods, can't wait to sail tho, so I will not let limited food choices spoil my trip.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 09:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorsin View Post
Hi, just did 7 nights in Hong Kong, (Not a cruise) I found it very difficult to be gluten free! even rice seemed to be thickened with flour! as a young waiter explained when he realised I was having that at breakfast with fruit, finally found a steak house,(sauce on the side so I didn't eat it!) and a coffee shop who grilled fish for me with plain rice and salad.
I cruise on Serenade of the Seas in Sept out of Barcelona, so I really hope they have got it together for gluten free foods, can't wait to sail tho, so I will not let limited food choices spoil my trip.
Wow! I was in Hong Kong in December and had no problem with being gluten free. The biggest problem was soy sauce. I ate at more of the "local" places and not at the fancy restaurants. The rice definitely was not thickened with flour and the meats did not have a flour based sauce. If I eat flour I will definitely have a reaction and had none in Hong Kong. I found the food to be gluten free friendly and VERY good.

Since my original postings on this thread I have to say that Celebrity was not as "gluten free friendly" as Carnival. They do mark their MDR menus to indicate gluten free foods but the personnel did not have a good knowledge of gluten free as Carnival. I got a lot of "I don't know" or "You can look" answers to my gluten free questions at the buffet. Carnival is head and shoulders above Celebrity in this area.

Being gluten free is a challenge but not one that you can't overcome.

Take care,
Mike

Old February 27th, 2013, 07:05 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Mike, I guess I should have checked out the local cafe, the hotel restaurant was Thia food, and shopping centres not great for GF, unless your waiter spoke very good english, I passed many local cafe's but was not game enough to go in on my own I guess, still I survived.