Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to Linda A
Default Stupid Question

Okay,

The only time for our flights back home on free travel is 9 am. We will be leaving Independence of the seas on sunday in Ft. Lauderdale and have to catch the flight in Miami. Impossible??? What time can you leave the ship when you walk your own luggage out??

Thanks,

Linda
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda A View Post
Okay,

The only time for our flights back home on free travel is 9 am. We will be leaving Independence of the seas on sunday in Ft. Lauderdale and have to catch the flight in Miami. Impossible??? What time can you leave the ship when you walk your own luggage out??

Thanks,

Linda
Don't try it. You have a small chance of making it. Can you fly out the next day? If you can then do that. A $100 hotel is still a bargain and you have a nice day of rest before heading home.

If you do try it. Make sure you carry your own luggage off. Contact Guest Relations and let them know you have such an early flight and want to be the first off. Once off, grab a cab and rush to the airport.

Good luck and take my first suggestion.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I am taking my 15 year old out of high school the week of the cruise and would not like him to miss another day. What other airports are around? Ft Lauderdale does not have any flights later then 6 am So Ft. Lauderdale and Miami are too early.

I would not mind renting a car and driving to another airport on Sunday but not sure. Daytona might work. I think it is 3 hours away.

Oh well, any advice is helpful. Thanks for responding Mike

Linda
Old October 7th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Admiral

The Independence of the Seas is normally scheduled to arrive back in port at 5:30am. However, it still has to clear customs and normally the earliest they allow passengers to disembark is around 7:00 - 7:30. If, and that's a big if, you can be one of the very first ones off the ship, there is a remote possibility that you can get to the airport by 8:00am. And since you're required to be there at least an hour before departure, it might work.

But the possibility is so slim, that I would not suggest trying it and I usually don't suggest scheduling a flight before noon, just to be on the safe side.

If you have no choice, then I would talk to the Purser's Office when you get on the ship and let them know you have to be the first off the ship. You'll have to keep your luggage and take everything with you.

Keep in mind that the only way to get from the pier in Ft. Lauderdale to the Miami airport in this situation is going to be by taxi and the price will be $75 plus tip.

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old October 7th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What exactly is "free travel" anyway?? I would say, there is no way to make that flight, try another airline or go the following day...

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 7th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Unless the cruise gods align, the odds of doing this, is miniscule, and your day will go from good to bad..quickly. You really have to factor in customs...Not a common situation, but, it happened to me once..we couldn't board, because the ship didn't clear, & all passengers onboard couldn't disembark.

Try looking into West Palm Beach Airport..hoping your carrier flys into that airport...closer then Daytona,and doable. Donna, the poster must have free miles.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 7th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Thanks Trip,
That would explain it, sometimes tough to be able to use them??

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Back in the day when I used them..I really had no issues.,now it's harder, but, what else is new!

Old October 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
First Mate

Well, to catch a 9AM flight you'd need to get to the airport by 7:30AM (latest). The ship will begin letting folks off by 7:00-7:30am for the elite / suite guests (white lugggage tags / Group 1) and express departure. You can certainly talk to guest relations and have them put you in this group. It's a 10 min cab ride from Ft. Lauderdale to the FLL airport; fastest to grab a cab at the pier. Also, I'd recommend you take your luggage off yourself, instead of any of the luggage tag stuff. This is known as "express departure" they are let off first thing too.
Old October 8th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Admiral

DM,
She wants to catch a flight in Miami after disembarking Ft. Lauderdale...There is just no way at that time, it is a good hour drive to Miami....I am not sure I would even attempt it from Ft. Lauderdale.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Problem solved!!! Here is the funny thing. I cannot see ALL of the flights that are offered on my computer. (VERY OLD and SLOW) When I called to see what aiports the airline would fly in and out of close to Fort Lauderdale she found flights that were not listed on my end. So, It pays to call. We are now leaving Ft. Lauderdale at 11:15 Sunday morning using our fequent flier miles.

So excited. On to research hotels...Any ideas??? Just need for one night close to port.

Thanks,

Linda A
Old October 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Admiral

Linda good for you, and it always pays to call.. Here is a link that might help w/hotels....
Hotel listings with shuttle services in Fll.

You can also do Priceline, entering 4 star downtown, which will get you a gret hotel, Pier 66 & The Renaissance for example. Close by as well is Hyatt Place, Holiday Inn Express,and Embassy Suites. Calling a hotel on their regular number, not the 1800 number, and asking ofr the manager, might also get you a better deal.

Right next to Hyatt Place, there is a shopping center, The Harbor Shoppes, with a Publix Market some restaurants and other shops...http://www.theharborshops.com/

Let us know how you make out..

Old October 10th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Admiral

LInda,
How wonderful you made that call, it sure paid off....good for you.

Message Boards Moderator