CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Labadee (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/393093-labadee.html)

JLI219 November 15th, 2012 10:56 AM

Labadee

Hi All,

It appears when the ship gets to Labadee it is right near a beach. Anyone been there and is that the case? Is it within walking distance?

Thanks!

Jeff

Manuel November 15th, 2012 11:33 AM

I have been to Labadee three times.

Last time I was there the ship docked within walking distance of the beach.
Labadee is a nice place to relax and enjoy the beach. They serva a nice lunch, all done by ship's staff and the area is nice and clean. Nice restrooms are available as well
There is a little trolley to take people to other areas of Labadee, where, if want to purchase souveniers there some vendors.

I will stopping there again on my next cruise.

TM

Mike M November 15th, 2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLI219 (Post 1454996)
Hi All,

It appears when the ship gets to Labadee it is right near a beach. Anyone been there and is that the case? Is it within walking distance?

Thanks!

Jeff

Labadee is Royal Caribbean's "private island". It's actually property that is leased from Haiti. It is enclosed and guarded.

It is a beautiful area and you are right next to the beach. There are many activities and food is included. Drinks, other than punch and water, are the same price as on the ship. Most of the activities, such as zipline, jet skis, etc. are additional charge.

It is a great place for a beach day.

Take care,
Mike

seadog2 November 15th, 2012 11:54 AM

Very nice place Labadee. Been there 3 times also and will be stopping there on our next cruise. There are Cabanas there that can be used for a rental fee. Beach lounge chairs are there too. Although the beach and swimming area is large get there early to get a nice shaded spot if you don't rent a cabana. Very nice place.

zactak November 15th, 2012 12:35 PM

I've been to Labadee once about 14 years ago. I am currently researching cruises to go on and it seems the island has changed a lot since I went to it last, but from my own experience it was awful. From what I've gathered you now dock there and the beach is right there. When I went there on the Majesty of the Seas we tendered to the island.

They served a buffet and had people standing guard while we were there. We went into a market and the people were extremely pushy. They would grab you, try to put things in your hands and do anything to make a sale. I know they live on an extremely poor island and that's how they make their money.

We also did that banana boat thing, which we hated. If I returned to the island, I would probably just lounge at the beach and swim in the water. It's a beautiful looking island, but I wouldn't venture out.

Lakers Fan November 15th, 2012 01:36 PM

I was on a cruise that docked in Labadee earlier this year .Its a beautiful area but the fact that just beyond it is a country where people live in poverty bothered me .

seadog2 November 15th, 2012 01:41 PM

Yes, plenty has changed since the first time we went too. We were tendered in before and the only thing that was there was the flea market and there was unrest in Port a Prince. The lunch was hot dogs and hamburgers. Now there is a dock and no more tendering. Now you can snorkel, paddle boat, swim, zipline ride a roller coaster or if you prefer just relax. The lunch has improved greatly too. You now have ribs, chicken, hot dogs, burgers, beef salads and fruits. The meat is bar-b-qued. The flee market is still there also. Might be worth another look.

Donna November 15th, 2012 03:41 PM

Just be sure to walk a bit farther, there are a few beaches and also places to eat your BBQ lunch. If you walk directly across from where you get off the tenders, more open area and a bit rougher waters.. There is a craft mart there as well, and also a zip line....It is a wonderul beach day, enjoy it. Have done the waverunner tour there, great fun if you like water sports.

Manuel November 15th, 2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers Fan (Post 1455031)
I was on a cruise that docked in Labadee earlier this year .Its a beautiful area but the fact that just beyond it is a country where people live in poverty bothered me .

Because there is poverty just beyond, I tip generously. They have people that will bring you beach chairs/loungers, there is a band playing and I feel that my tips will be of some help.

TM

Kerr_Met November 15th, 2012 07:15 PM

Upside, lots to do. I was there a few weeks ago. It is just beautiful! The beach open to the ocean is rough and rocky, didn't like it much. But there is a cove with very calm water that was just gorgeous! The ribs at lunch were very tender and some of the best I have had in a long time.

Downside, the area for artisans to sell their wares. It was just horrible! They are beyond pushy. I realize they are from a poor nation and most of the things they sell, the all sell. But if they just left me alone, i would shop and buy more. If you touch anything and I stress anything at all they are giving you prices for it, or for 2 of them,only for you my lady, offering to carve your name in it and will not let you put it down. It was very very uncomfortable. It is terrible but i would not suggest you go up the hill to where it says artisans. Someone should tell them to back off. Jamacia was bad too but not as bad as Labadee. :-(

Enjoy the beaches and have fun on the island!

kerry

Dave Beers November 15th, 2012 07:55 PM

I've been to Labadee about a dozen times, starting when it was a new stop in the 1990s up until last year, and I'll be stopping there two more times in the next few weeks. Indeed, the change from rustic spit of rock and sand into what is a lovely resort has been profound. It is a favorite stop for me now, and yes, like the others I didn't care for it much in the early days.

The poverty beyond the gate would be there regardless of whether Labadee existed, and in fact it would be worse since the resort provides good incomes for many locals. I don't dwell on it when I'm there. I do try to tip the locals who do things for me. A marching band of local kids - sort of like a high school marching band - plays during the day and I note that RCI provides lunch for the band during the passenger lunch, which is likely part of their payment for playing.

The dock definitely improved things as far as logistics. The sole reason was to accomodate the Oasis class ships but since it is used by all the RCI ships - as well as the occasional Celebrity cruise stop - it has been a great addition to the port call.