Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Familiar Face

Default Unlimited alcohol package

Just read (on another site..another board) that Royal Caribbean will be selling unlimited alcohol packages. This will be on all ships and all itineraries. This is to start today on the Oasis and they will be rolling this out on the rest of the ships on their next turnaround. The bar staff have gone through additional training on how to watch out for and deal with over intoxication and how to handle guests who have had too much to drink Anyone hear this?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Admiral

I read it on the "other" board too. If it's true, RCL has certainly had a turnaround in the past month on their booze policies.

I think if the details are true, it's very expensive. $55 + 15% and doesn't include canned soda, specialty coffees or bottled water or Juice.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I hope they look with both eyes open, looking for people who feel they want to get their moneys worth. Could be a can of worms;(

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 27th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Admiral

If it's true, it very well could be a move RCCL will wish they had never made and probably won't take them too long to see their mistake.
Old November 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Admiral

I board Liberty Of The Seas on Monday so I'll be see if it is available. It does seem rather pricey and probably not worth it for many, including those with concierge club access or diamond members on the ships with full diamond lounges.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Familiar Face

Why do you think it would be a mistake? Other cruise lines do it and from what I can tell, it has had little affect on guest behavior. If the price is correct (55.00 a day for the entire cruise) I would think that it would rule out a lot of younger cruisers. According to what has been reported, if one person in the cabin orders the drink package, all people over the age of 21 in the cabin have to buy it as well. I would think that this would keep many away as well. I'm thinking that they put a high price on it not just to make money but to keep certain groups away from buying into it. I may or may not drink 55.00 worth a day, but it would give me a piece of mind just knowing that I dont have to keep track of it.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Actually I decided to ask my press contact at RCI about it. I just sent him an e-mail.
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Familiar Face

One person said that they called a cruise rep. and they say they didnt know anything about it, yet there are several people who were either on one of the ships right now or knew someone who was and they have all confirmed that it is being offered on the ship.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Admiral

I would imagine that there are some people out there who can put away $55 worth per day with no problem. With the 15% gratuity added on top of the price of the drink that may not be very hard to do at all.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Admiral

RCI just replied to me and said at this time they are testing the beverage package on select ships and whether it will be rolled out fleet-wide has not been determined. Thus, the stories from 'that other website' about it being on Oasis and a couple other vessels may be true but the company line from the press relations people is it is not a 'done deal' yet.

I assume this doesn't mean the previously announced drink packages they have been doing for some time now on 3 ships based in non-U.S. ports. I guess I'll see on Monday when I board Liberty OTS.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Familiar Face

I could pretty easily drink 55.00 of drinks a day...not every day though
Old November 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Admiral

banshee72 during my drinking days I know I could have put that away no prob. I quit drinking in 1997. Hope they don't mess around with the soda package or I'll be in deep do.
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Admiral

There have been a couple of times I've drank $55 in drinks/day on a ship but I could never do it for seven or fourteen days. I would be taken off the ship on stretcher. Well, there was that one time.....................

The problem with the drink package is that unless you stay on board for most of the cruise you will not come close to getting your money's worth unless you are a big drinker.

I looked at Celebrity's Premium Beverage Package for our upcoming 14 day cruise and it was over $750. With only four sea days I, or my wife, would be throwing money away with this.

I don't think it will really increase problems. People who are going to drink ten or more drinks are going to do it even if they don't have the beverage package and the price will keep most of the younger crowd from purchasing it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Familiar Face

I think this may have been verified already but the following is an email I received a couple days ago from my TA

Hi Jay,
New RCCL announcement just came out regarding the All you can drink alcohol packages.
It said they will be rolling it out fleetwide. I'm not sure of the dates for each ship though. Supposedly this is online. I looked, but didn't see it...I only did a quick, brief search though.

From what I read, there are 2 packages, and if you want them, they can not be pre purchased before you sail. You must purchase them only on the 1st day onboard, and if 1 person in the cabin purchases it, the other adults must purchase it as well (to avoid sharing).
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:10 PM
First Mate

Upcoming Cruises | OpenBarCruise.com

Don't think I'd want to be on one of these . . . .
Old December 17th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Familiar Face

Not sure if the official details have been posted...if not.....

Beverages go all-inclusive aboard Royal - Cruise News - etravelblackboardasia.com
Old January 4th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi!

Just today I booked a 7 night on FOS. I asked my rep about the unlimites booze packages and this is what I was told.

There are two seperate packages to choose from:

1) $45 a day/per person includes - unlimited soda/wine/beer

2) $55 a day/per person includes - unlimited soda/wine/beer/mixed & frozen drinks

I was told you cannot book these packages online you have to wait until you are on the ship to do so. I was also told that the booze used for the mixed drinks can be semi-premium booze - so you won't be drinking bottom shelf

- I did read on a forum somewhere that if you get the $45 package that you cannot order beer that is over $6.25 a bottle. However I didn't ask the rep because I am classy girl and drink Bud Light!

I think that we may opt to do the drink package because on our last RCL cruise back in 2006 our booze bill for 4 people was over $900!!!!

I would love to hear from people that have used the drink packages. Did you think it was worth it?

- Anyone know what the price of a frozen margarita is? Or what a jack and coke costs? If they are around $8 a pop or more I think the package would be worth it.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Familiar Face

I was on FOS first week in Dec 2012. No Package. I was on Vision of seas mid Dec 2012 they had the package but they only offered the premium one. This may have changed for 2013.

Is it worth it, depends. I have purchased the drink packages on Celebrity before. I thought was worth it. Mixed drinks run from $8-$12 ea. 5 or 6 drinks a day. I spent a lot of time at the martini bar and all of there drinks where $12. But if you are Diamond and above may not be worth it to purchase package.

One thing to keep in mind on witch package to purchase. You can not pay the different if you want something more expensive. If you get the $45 a day one.

A note you can now bring on 2 bottles of wine per cabin.

My 2 cents
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Captain

The question I have is "is the tip already included or is RC going to add the tip onto your bill".
It might be part of the program but I just haven't seen anything about it yet!
Inspiration -09/05
Mariner-05/06 & 10/09
Century-01/07
Crown-04/07
Liberty-11/07
Explorer-08/08
Insignia-11/08
Destiny-07/09
Oasis Inaugural Cruise-12/09
Monarch-03/10 & 07/10
Equinox-08/10
Freedom-02/2012
Mariner; RSS- 10/12
Jewel-12/12 b2b
Independence-12/13
Enchantment- 01/14
Legend-TA- 04/14
Freedom OTS-10/14

Booked:Solstice Alaska; 09/15
Old January 7th, 2013, 08:55 AM
Familiar Face

At the time of purchase they will charge you the 15%. example 7 days $55 a day = $385. They will charge you $15% on the $385. Look for additional $57.75.
Old January 19th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Admiral

Some more changes are coming for the drink packages. I was on the Rock Legends cruise aboard Liberty Of The Seas last week and a favorite bartender of mine (I've been on Liberty a lot lately) told me the packages were being rolled out to 4/5/6 night cruises too. He said they were going to start selling them 'next month'. So it seems that only the 3-night cruises will not have the booze packages.

Also, the price does include gratuities so when they say $55 it will not have an additional 15% tacked on.
Old January 25th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Welcome Newcomer

It used to be a good deal even for light drinkers. Because water, and specialty coffees were included. We bought this on the Brilliance of the Seas back in December (12/13), 2004. Water was going for 4 bucks a bottle, forget how much the coffee was. Anyway, it really wasn't all that hard to drink the dollar amount. A Bloody Mary or 2, four bottles of water during the day, maybe one more at dinner is 20 bucks right there, a couple of pool drinks in the afternoon..and most folks have more than a couple, maybe a few drinks at the Schooner Bar during Trivia. Couple more predinner, a few during dinner or just a glass of wine or after dinner cordials...and back to one of the bars ... not even counting the trip to the disco. Even if you have just one alcohol drink at all those daily stops mentioned above, you could easily spend 55 bucks if you throw in the bottled water.

We were amazed to see this Premium Drinks Package available during the selling spree thingy they do right at the beginning of the 1st day on board. In fact, we overlooked it thinking it was the usual Wine Package...it was pointed out to us by a couple who happened to come by the Schooner Bar and remembered us from a previous Brilliance cruise in 2003. We all bought it. We paid for it and handed over our Set Sail Pass and they affixed a yellow Premium Drink Package sticker up in the top, right corner.

The way this package is offered now, it is only a good deal for drinkers...

I remember being very surprised that they didn't start this for the whole line...the staff was happy with it. Don't forget they HATED the drink program they had before where you could pay a certain amount and get non premium drinks...nothing but arguments from passengers who constantly tried to buy top shelf booze that was NOT included.

I think it was the George Smith "disappearence" that killed that. That was about the same time that the weekly cruise specials, formerly called Happy Hour specials, got a name change, too.

TCC
Old January 26th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It does seem like a lot to consume per day for the cost...I think it would be difficult to get your money's worth every day, but time will tell if the roll it out fleet wide??

Message Boards Moderator