Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 24th, 2014, 02:55 AM
Familiar Face

Default Oasis of the Seas Bars Woman After Asking If She's Pregnant

Here's the link:

Globalnews.ca Cruise Line Bars Hamilton Ont Woman After Asking Whether She’s Pregnant
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Gosh, this is one weird story.....??

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 24th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

On our last Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral my wife, who is a "bit" too old to get pregnant was asked the pregnancy question when we checked in. The agent said: "I'm sorry but I have to ask; "Are you pregnant". I responded "If she is we're rich.".

I can understand why the cruise lines ask this question. There is a huge liability in the event of a miscarriage. However, the poor woman hadn't even been to the doctor and a hand written note was not accepted. She "should" have said "No" but she was honest and paid for it. Sad

I so hope she receives more in the way of compensation. Flight, taxi, hotel reimbursements and an apology letter.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
On our last Carnival cruise out of Port Canaveral my wife, who is a "bit" too old to get pregnant was asked the pregnancy question when we checked in. The agent said: "I'm sorry but I have to ask; "Are you pregnant". I responded "If she is we're rich.".

I can understand why the cruise lines ask this question. There is a huge liability in the event of a miscarriage. However, the poor woman hadn't even been to the doctor and a hand written note was not accepted. She "should" have said "No" but she was honest and paid for it. Sad

I so hope she receives more in the way of compensation. Flight, taxi, hotel reimbursements and an apology letter.

Take care,
Mike
I don't know what the cruise line ticket and contract says about pregnancy, but if it did cover this subject and the woman was in violation of the contract terms than it is a situation where she is at fault and responsible for the outcome.

Yesterday the subject of ticket/contracts came up in the Jay Rockfeller Senate hearings one of the witnesses was asked if she had read the contract and she admitted she hadn't but signed anyway. This by the way was a frequent cruiser.
Old July 24th, 2014, 05:21 PM
Admiral

This type of action by the cruise line leads to why people lie about being sick on the questionnaire they hand out at the pier. Was she showing or just overweight? If she had just found out she might be pregnant then I'd say she wasn't showing. So are they routinely asking this question now?

So they just trained this woman to lie to them if and when she cruises with them again. She'll never again be pregnant or have had diarrhea in the past 48 hours, at least in her responses.