Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Seabourn
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cruisemates members question

Hi,

I have just joined Cruisemates and I would like to get a feeling about the members and what is acceptable on this forum so I don’t put my foot in it.

I would like to know how you feel about children (under 30 and well behaved/supervised) on the Seabourn or really in general.

How you feel about any criticism of Seabourn and its policies.

If you can’t tell already, I have just jumped ship from CC. I guess what I’m asking is if CM’s members are the ones I go out of my way to avoid while on a Seabourn cruise or whether they are the ones that make the trips memorable to me. Wrong or right, I truly believe there seems to be two types of cruisers.

Thank you,
Nadine at Sea
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman

Hi Nadine...and WELCOME!

You will find a number of former CC posters here...and, as you know, with good reason! And the ones you find here are international, younger and older, like the bigger ships or the smaller ones. In other words, there are more than two types of Seabourn cruisers.

Personally, as for children, I don't think those in their 20s or 30s are the same as the ones in their 10s or 15s. But what I do think is that I cruise with children (mine and others) all the time and am generally baffled by the over-the-top concern about the kids...when I have more issues with inappropriate adult behavior (though even that is quite limited on Seabourn).

My kids (15 and 11) have been on over 20 cruises and I just don't take them on Seabourn because it wouldn't be fun for them...personally. There are some young children that seem perfectly content. The style of Seabourn is different from Regent (they have been on it) and Crystal (larger ships and more activities) so they work/will work for my kids.

Since my first Seabourn cruise I have seen a few young adults and they have never been an issue of any sort. Some are a bit lively, but then again there are some older folks (including some CC'rs) that are even more lively...to be kind.

That said, I think Seabourn learned a bit from the former lower prices enticing families with younger children and has learned that for a number of reasons lower pricing doesn't mean higher profits through volume sales. So I do not think you will find nearly as many children on onboard in the summer anymore.

Sooooo, I guess the short answer is "Whatever floats your boat" when it comes to children generally and particular children specifically.

As for Seabourn policies that bother me? I really can't think of any off the top of my head. There are some minor variances between the larger and smaller ships from an operational standpoint that I wish could be more consistent, but other than that, in an imperfect world, nothing really stands out.

OK, I gave you may take, do you want to give yours????:-D

Again, WELCOME!
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine at sea;
I would like to know how you feel about children (under 30 and well behaved/supervised) on the Seabourn or really in general.
I think well-behaved people of any age are just fine on Seabourn.
The need for supervision does not seem to be a function of age. The operative phrase is well behaved. It appears from another thread, that Lord of the Seas and I both receive significant & necessary supervision. I don't know him, but I think it's a good guess that both of us are over 30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine at sea;
How you feel about any criticism of Seabourn and its policies.
I think criticisms of Seabourn & its policies are one of the purposes of forums like this. I think the criticisms should be rational & logical and positive comments should be equally encouraged. In addition, criticisms shouldn’t stimulate a round of attacks on the individual posting the criticism or attempts to prove the criticism is wrong. If a poster offers an opinion of a particular policy, I think it is appropriate and useful for other posters to offer conflicting opinions. If a poster describes a actual negative experience on a Seabourn ship, I think it should not be challenged. Over time, a reader can get an impression of a cruise line’s performance by reading a variety of positive & negative experiences and put them in the context of the poster's credibility.

Perhaps there should be a sticky thread on board protocol

I also don’t think there is a “typical” CC or CM poster or that the personality of a cruise line’s board is representative of the on-board passengers.
The danger of a board is that it becomes taken over by a few posters who dictate a particular culture or norms that are inconsistent with the purpose of the board. I’m sure it’s a challenge for a moderator to police these issues. On CC, there seems to be an excessive & irrational use of deleting posts & expelling members as a way of policing the board. It isn’t working. I believe Eric’s policy is to try to let every post stand on its own. Over time, you learn which posters to pay attention to & which to ignore. For a board to be a good resource for advice, it needs to have a fairly large critical mass of posters. As a message board attracts a larger volume of posters, it will have some highly intelligent, rational, logical, entertaining, & insightful posters & some who are at the other end of the spectrum. We have certainly seen examples from both groups on CC. The challenge for me has been to learn to “let it go” when I read the posts from the latter group.
Another peeve I have is to use the board to send personal messages between or among a small group of people.
It also seems that these boards are being used to fulfill some sort of need for social interaction as many posts (mine are a good example) provide no really useful information at all. I'm o.k. with being entertained as well as informed by the board.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hi Nadine...

I am sorry that you sound like you have been alienated by some posters at another cruise board.

Here at CruiseMates we strongly believe in allowing people to express their opinions openly and honestly, and we always discourage personal attacks. We agree to disagree with politeness and respect here.

Our community for Seabourn is not nearly as large as Cruise Critics, but you are VERY welcome here and if you ever want to discuss something with me privately just send me a private message and I will reply to you.

I am the head honcho here, so your thoughts will not fall on deaf ears here.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Regarding Kids, I believe I read that Seabourn has now decided to add some supervised activities for children.

I think the fear by some is that this will encourage people to bring more kids. If that does happen I think it will be a mistake.

Anyone who takes small children on a luxury cruise should be well-prepared by their travel agent and people like us that the parents will be responsible for the actions of the chidren all of the time, but especially during meals and tours.

If a person wants to go on a cruise where they can leave their children in capable hands while they do their own thing, they had best look at more mainstream cruise lines who offer daily, breakfast through midnight snack children's programs.

I personally think children are delightful - but when I am on a luxury cruise I sometimes feel sorry for them when/if they appear bored. Now, all children are different and some will not be bored, but some will. I think it is up to the parent.

But regarding Seabourn's decision - I think it was more a response to their changing demographic than it was an attempt to appeal to the family market. My impression is that they are adding the supervision to maintain the serene and dignified atmosphere onboard, and not as a means to attract the family market. I don't expect to suddenly see many more children as a result of the new policy - but maybe a few more.

I also doubt that it will change Seabourn any more than it has already been changed by the addition of the brand new ships which are larger and appeal to a wider audience than the three smaller triplets.
Old January 4th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Another thought - isn't it funny how people aged 30 are still considered "kids" these days? This is not anything to do with Seabourn - just a general comment on modern society.

I have not been on Seabourn in over a decade, but I have been on lux lines. If I went on any ship and heard anyone complaining about "those kids over there" in reference to 30 year olds I would be shocked.

I guess there are some people who live in Sun City and don't want to see anything unless it is related to golf and early bird buffets - but most people "of age" I know appreciate having younger people around.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Familiar Face

Another of my pet peeves is posters who include an advertisement as a part of their reply. (I have no idea how I did that & have been unable to fix. Maybe it will get me a discount in my CM membership!)
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Another of my pet peeves is posters who include an advertisement as a part of their reply. (I have no idea how I did that & have been unable to fix. Maybe it will get me a discount in my CM membership!)
Now that is funny - you are quite the bon mot (or was what you said a bon mot - I never can get that straight).

Anyway - your discount is coming to you as we speak, I am sending you a $1.50 in cash by email right now.
Old January 4th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you very much for the warm and swift welcome.

Nadine
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
- you are quite the bon mot
Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, I had to look it up before I knew how to feel about being called bon mot.
Before long though, I will be fluent in all things French. For Christmas, I received a Rosetta Stone French course. I am pleased because I read in the NY Times about a study that said the average age for the onset of Alzheimers was 10 years later for people who spoke 2 languages than for people who spoke only one. I hope it's not too late for me.
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Familiar Face

I hope you're right Diebroke. What did they say about 3rd language?

Need to know if I should sign up for classes soon
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well, actually what you said was the bon mot, not you. I looked it up, too.

I like that - delaying the onset of Alzheimers by 10 years is a worthy goal. I take care of my 92-y.o. mom - she is MY child - so I know. (I wonder how she would do on Seabourn).

Come to think of it - some of the regular Seabourn denizens are probably more like children than the 30 year old "kids" we were referencing before.

Wouldn't that make a lovely argument on Cruise Critic?
Old January 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Nadine a hearty welcome aboard to Cruisemates...diversity of opinion is a good thing, and, we appreciate everyone joining in the discussions..good or bad, we want to hear it..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine at sea View Post
What did they say about 3rd language?
Either they didn't study it or I didn't pay attention because there is no possibility I would be able to learn a 3rd language in my lifetime. I would assume it must be linear so a 3rd language would delay the onset of Alzheimer's by 20 years.
My wife thinks I would be more attractive if instead of learning French, I learned to speak English with an Italian accent.
Being attractive to my wife might be an even better option than delaying senility.
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

well it looks like I am buggered (a quaint Aussie expression!!) as far as the alzheimers thing is concerned....have failed miserably at French, German and Spanish!! Does that mean it will hit me 30 years earlier?

On a serious note Paul....I have met a few people with alzheimers on Seabourn. Obviously their partners are not ready to stop cruising, so off they go!

Welcome Nadine.....so far Granny has not been kicked off Cruisemates, so thats a good sign!

I have NEVER seen a child on Seabourn. I have also never been on one of the new bigger ships, but I would imagine they would be more suited to children than the 3 small ones. (Just because the pool area is better) I think a very port intensive itinerary could work with children, but cruises with "sea days", they would get horribly bored. I have only ever been on one mass market ship and there were something like 800 children on that! Believe it or not, the only bad behaviour I saw was a two year olds tantrum in the buffet....never saw another problem with any kids!
I dont think I would ever take my grandchildren on Seabourn (or probably anywhere at the moment...they are horrible teenagers now) but am taking my son and his wife later this year! Come to think of it, he might be more trouble than any kids!! Not that he takes after Granny or anything!

Seabourn Pride...Dover to Singapore...88 Days....Sept 17 2011
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you. We’ll be returning to Seabourn this coming summer with my ‘children’ (youngest will be 14 by then). They all really wanted to do it again with the exception of the oldest who suffers from mal de mer (seasickness but to me sounds so much better in French ).

I am only interested in port intensive trips whether alone or with the kids, and so far Seabourn really hasn’t been boring for our children because they like to eat well, drink and love being spoiled (rabbit folded face clothes, plates of cooked etc.). I admit my youngest was 12 the last (first and only) time I brought them, but he was happy doing the shuffle board, sand bag toss, golf putting competitions on sea days. He was the only one who came home with a prize despite our valiant team efforts at trivia!

Diebroke, have to agree with your wife though even British accent can be quite alluring.

Nadine
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diebroke View Post
Either they didn't study it or I didn't pay attention because there is no possibility I would be able to learn a 3rd language in my lifetime. I would assume it must be linear so a 3rd language would delay the onset of Alzheimer's by 20 years.
My wife thinks I would be more attractive if instead of learning French, I learned to speak English with an Italian accent.
Being attractive to my wife might be an even better option than delaying senility.
I thought it was all the great trips you take your wife on (especially the ones she really likes) that makes you more attractive.:razz:
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadine at sea View Post
Diebroke, have to agree with your wife though even British accent can be quite alluring.

Nadine
Yo! Hey! I'm from Joisey. At's an accent dat's gotta be a turn on. Fuggedaboudit!
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
I am finding you to be funnier all the time. Have you considered a career in show business? maybe a cruise director?

We used to call that "fake Italian" - back when we romanced the ladies with our wits instead of our credit cards. (because we couldn't afford credit cards)

Actually, fake French is far sexier than fake Italian. Most Americans who try to fake Italian end up sounding like James Gandolfini. But with fake French you become Pepe Le Pew. (and who can resist a kitty-cat loving skunk - "le mew? Le mew?")
Old January 4th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Absolutely - it is all up to the temperment of the kid in question. If your 12 or 14 year old can amuse him/herself on sea days then I see no reason not to go. Plus Seabourn is very port intensive.

The ports make a difference, too. If all you are seeing is Cathedrals they will probably get bored, but if you are going to the Colisseum in Rome and the leaning tower of Pisa, that's different...
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
?

when we romanced the ladies with our wits
Paul,you romanced with your wits
I romanced with my bits.
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Familiar Face

Nadine,
Welcome.
I have not found many children aboard the smaller ships but the larger ships are attracting more families,partly as Eric says the price has been attractive to some families in the past but that will probably change as the price increases.
You still have a problem with the facilities on the larger ships,they do not cater for children,but that said, as long as your children are happy and having a good time then I suppose that it does not really matter.
My wife and I choose Seabourn for the service and when we sail in the summer we do not want to be with a mass of kids and Seabourn has been a quiet haven for us, so far.
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I dont think I have ever been on any luxury cruise that had more than a handful of kids.

Crystal has kids programs (or so I heard a while back) and they have bigger ships. I honestly think kids would like their cruises better. They also have music, drama, arts, crafts and a lot of other classes kids would like - plus full feature movies.
Old January 5th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

It is very difficult for any person to opine as to what is best for a particular family or child within that family.

I remember both myself and my children getting dirty looks when we boarded the Radisson Diamond back in 2003 (I think) which would put my daughter at age 4 and my son at 7. They had a blast and by the second week it was almost embarrassing how many people came up to us and complimented our children admitting their initial prejudice.

My kids have also enjoyed the Regent Mariner, Regent Navigator, I think 7 Celebrity cruises, Cunard, NCL, Royal Caribbean, etc....even the Big Red Boat II. Now which do they like the best? Which was the last cruise????

But for my children, even with a limited children's program, I do not believe Seabourn is a good fit for them. Seabourn may not like me saying that, but I say what I think.

Now, I have seen a few children on Seabourn and I have reports of very happy children and teens. And, to be sure, there have been a complaint or two, but the vast majority of folks have either said nothing or said positive things.

Soooo, for some families Seabourn is obviously a great fit. For others possibly not. But what someone else perceives may or may not be right without knowing the family and kids...
Old January 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Familiar Face

Biggest advantage of traveling with a young teen… it gave me a wonderful excuse to order in room service and watch a movie after an early, long day of touring. It was with no regret that I watched my older ‘men’ leave for a night of gourmet dining, casino and whatever else they wished to do.

Only disadvantage .. my youngest was absolutely no help to our dismal trivia performance.

Thank you again for the warm welcome.
Old January 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via AIM to jimmyloubser Send a message via Skype™ to jimmyloubser

Hi, I too have just joined , mainly to see if we can connect with people who will be on the same cruises as us. We will do Seabourn for the first tme -we don't like the big ships with thousands. The Sojourn is highly recommended and seems to be just what we are looking for.We are doing Valparaiso(Santiago) to Buenos Aires and BA to Manaus in the Amazon river from 18 Feb to 25 March 2013.
We like to socialize and meet new interesting and fun people . We have no problem with any age group or kids as long as they are well behaved and have a good lively sense of humour.
Personally I would love to learn a third language -preferably French ,whilst on board - (German would also be nice ). Paris is our favourite city and we go skiing in Austria . Does anybody know if this is available on the Sojourn ?
Critisism is fine provided it is fair , objective and reasonable .
Any tips for us ?
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You want to know if learning new languages is available on Seabourn.

Not that I recall (I really do not think so)

The only ship I recall seeing regular language classes is Crystal which has actual classes with instructors to teach you basic European languages.

Cunard has computer-based foreign language training, but it is basically just a program you can buy abd do yourself at home.