Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

Old April 29th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Beginner

Default 1st Carnival cruise--pls help w/ Coz & Progresso excursi

Hubby and I have taken one other cruise and are looking forward to our first Carnival cruise at the end of May (Ecstasy). We're overwhelmed by the options when it comes to excursions. I'd love to hear the advice of experienced cruisers.

I'm not adverse to shopping, but I don't like kitschy souvenirs. Should we skip shopping? Or where should we go? (We have friends who enjoy a nice cigar. Is this a good itinerary for picking up cigars they'll enjoy and can't find at home?)

Just hanging out on a gorgeous beach also sounds good (we loved Disney's Castaway Cay). Should we go for the beach club excursions? Is it faster/just as easy to grab a cab to a beach club?

We've even toyed with the idea of just staying onboard. Would we kick ourselves? Are Progresso/Merida and Cozumel not to be missed?

I'm also a bit worried about the fact that we're only in port for 8 hours, so I'd want to be absolutely sure we could get to/from the ship in good time.

We're not adverse to hopping a cab ourselves, if we have a little guidance.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

J
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Darcy

First of all, I wouldn't stay on board unless you've already travled to both of these places and seen all there is to see.

In Cozumel, we liked Chankanaab Park but I don't think its open yet. Its very easy to get around on your own. Just make sure you agree on the price with the cab driver before you get in. Although I've never been there Paradise Beach seems to be the place to go for the beach. You might want to check out cozumelinsider.com. You can make arrangements for an excursion through them. They're right on the island and I've used them several times and never been disappointed. Last trip our excursion through them was cancelled due to weather. My credit card was credited before I even made it home.

You can buy cigars at a number of places in Cozumel. The only other things I tend to buy here are silver and leather.

Hope this helps.

Dacy
Monarch of the Seas 3/06
Carnival Inspiration 8/05
Carnival Miracle 4/05
Carnival Inspiration 4/04
Sovereign of the Seas 4/03
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Beginner

That helps a lot; thanks!
Old April 30th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Admiral

Hi jen,

I agree with Darcy, but just an FYI.

Quote:
We have friends who enjoy a nice cigar. Is this a good itinerary for picking up cigars they'll enjoy and can't find at home?)
If you buy Cuban cigars they must be smoked while you are on board. You're not allowed to bring them back into the US! Could be big trouble!
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old April 30th, 2006, 10:37 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Fern. I wasn't looking for Cubans, just something they couldn't get in Dallas or something they might not have tried. Maybe it's blasphemy , but I think Cubans are overrated.
J
Old May 5th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Admiral

We found Progresso to be rather dumpy, even by Mexico standards. Nothing much besides touristy junk. But, did excursion to Merida and it was quite charming. I want to try the Mexican rodeo tour if we go there again.
PM me if you want more details.
Marty