Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Beginner

Default Excursions in Jamaica aside from Dunns River Falls?

Hi - I'm new here! My husband and I are going on our third cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary in October. We are doing the same itinerary as our honeymoon cruise. I've really done my research on this site and it seems like almost ALL the Jamaican excursions end with someone trying to sell you something.....as honeymooners we were blissfully able to ignore the hard sell and aside from it being slightly aggravating it was no biggie. We did climb Dunns River Falls so we don't want to do that again.

We have three young kids and are looking to purely relax and enjoy some quiet What would you recommend in Jamaica? For me the main thing is to avoid being hassled to buy something, we are so looking forward to this vacation but don't like being pressured into buying things. We will be going on the Caribbean Princess, our 1st cruise with Princess (other two were RCL) and I don't see the tubing listed on the excursions yet which was the top contender.....thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Admiral

Tubing might not be such a good choice for 3 young kids anyway. You might want to consider rafting on the Martha Brae river. Or a tour that drives up to Fern Gully. Re. the vendors, just pretend that you are still on your honeymoon.
Marty
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Excursions in Jamaica aside from Dunns River Falls?

Plantation tour might work?

Or, do a sailaway as the only thing they push is free rum punch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisinJ
Hi - I'm new here! My husband and I are going on our third cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary in October. We are doing the same itinerary as our honeymoon cruise. I've really done my research on this site and it seems like almost ALL the Jamaican excursions end with someone trying to sell you something.....as honeymooners we were blissfully able to ignore the hard sell and aside from it being slightly aggravating it was no biggie. We did climb Dunns River Falls so we don't want to do that again.

We have three young kids and are looking to purely relax and enjoy some quiet What would you recommend in Jamaica? For me the main thing is to avoid being hassled to buy something, we are so looking forward to this vacation but don't like being pressured into buying things. We will be going on the Caribbean Princess, our 1st cruise with Princess (other two were RCL) and I don't see the tubing listed on the excursions yet which was the top contender.....thanks so much!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Beginner

Thanks guys! I should have clarified, it will be adults only lol no kiddos this time although they are BEGGING to go. Our youngest is too little for me to comfortably take her without worrying (she is a climber and a daredevil) so it will be another couple of years before we try cruising with them.

I read that the raft guy whittles something and then wants you to buy it at the end? I know this is a little thing but hubby and I are pretty easily bent under pressure and I don't want us to feel pressured to shop, buy things we don't want, get the hair braids etc etc. What I remember most about our day in Jamaica last time was the falls of course, and then being asked 100 times for hair braids and being almost physically dragged into the shops after the falls
Old June 17th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Passenger

try phil lafayette in jamaica. he was WONDERFUL. you just tell him what you want to do and dont want to do and he arranges it. we did dunns rivers fall, tubing, and a tour of the island. some people on our excursion didnt want to do the falls so while we were doing the falls he took them somewhere else.

he came reccomended to us, and we are SO glad we booked him. that was the high light of our cruise. http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
Admiral

a lot would depend upon where you are docking. If you are docking in Ocho Rios i would suggest you book a tour with Peat Taylor,he will pretty much do what you want to do, go to his website, same as his name. If you are dockingin Montego Bay then i would suggest spending a few hours at Doctor's Cove beach - beautiful and cheap, just grab a cab at the pier, and give you cabbie a pick-up time.
Old January 31st, 2008, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default Dunn's Falls

When in Jamaica, we hired a person call Peat Taylor. He is on line. He gave us a great tour--brought us to Dunn's River Falls--brought us on a real fun and safe River Tubing ride.

My favorite excursion of all time. He was very reasonable also.