Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Familiar Face

Default BARBADOS - Harrison's Cave+more

Anyone know of a tour offereing Harrison's Cave, Andromeda Gardens or Orchid World? RCI doesn't offer Harrison's or Orchid. Have been trying to find local tours, but not turning up ones offering these places. Johnson's tours offers them, but only 2 days/week, and not the day we're in port. Suggestions?
We are wondering what it would cost to get a taxi to take us to these places. Then we thought, the driver would have to wait while we toured, and what would that cost? Plus, taxi charts seem to be predicated on certain locations from select starting points, and we have no idea how to read the chart to determine the charge, since we don't know exactly where these places are located on the island.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I looked up harrison's cave for you, and it looks spectacular. We are going to Barbados soon ourselves. But I am not sure if the cave is open, as they did close it for renovations. I believe it is open, as I see reviews posted from 2008, but it was closed for most of 2006, 2007.

as for taxi drivers, you can almost always be found at popular tourist places - plus almost every taxi driver I have ever had in the Caribbean has asked us if we want him to pick us up and they will come back for you at a set time. You can easily set this up with a driver before you go there, ask a few drivers if there are willing to take you and pick you up.

Plus - Barbados has a big "tourist" area at the port. I would bet you can find the tour locally when you get off the ship.
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, Paul. I believe they reopened in January from what I have read. The "official" web site is quite behind but does have some spectacular shots of the interior.
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Admiral

I took the tour in Harrison's cave before it closed for renovations. It is truly amazing. I would go back in a heart beat. We took a cab from the dock to the cave. The cab driver offered to wait while we did the tour. He was extremely nice and informative going to and coming from the tour. I have to look but I think I posted some pictures of it in the gallery a while back.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Great, I never knew about this but the site does look amazing. I will do this for sure.
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I also went there before they closed and it was an amazing thing to see, quite interesting. We had taken a taxi there, he waited while we did the tour and took us back to town. Just ask what the price is before you take off, its a good drive there and a good way to see some of the island you normally wouldn't see.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Passenger

So it sounds like it is open again but does anyone know if it will be open June 11th? Someone mentioned a website? We are going on the Destiny and it sounds fantastic but one thing I read said closed in July=-November but something else said June. Also, Has anyone used Glorytours in Barbados?