Old June 13th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Passenger

Default Just what is a "Sail-Away"

Never been on a cruise before, but my first one is coming up in less than 2 weeks. I am curious..just what is a "Sail-Away"????
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Admiral

Usually a "Sail-Away" is a party held on the Lido deck (main pool area) with live Caribbean music, dancing, fancy drinks, maybe some contests and prizes, and a whole lot of fun! Enjoy your cruise!

donna
Old June 14th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Island Princess

You're gonna love this ship. We sailed on her to Hawaii this past January, and a friend who was also in the Hawaii cruise just sailed on her to Alaska last month.
Be sure to go up on deck for sail-away. It's a great way to start your adventure. Really puts one into the cruise mode.
Have a wonderful trip with smooth seas and pleasant weather.
1/06 Island Princess - Hawaii
2/07 Sea Princess - Southern Caribbean
11/07 Golden Princess - Mexican Riviera
3/08 Diamond Princess - Hawaii
11/9/08 Tahitan Princess - Tahiti & French Polynesia

Booked cruises:
9/13/09 Star Princess - Alaska
3/14/10 Golden Princess - Hawaii
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Passenger

"Sail away" from each port. If it is not your dinner hour...( it always was for us) it's another excuse to have a drink. Bon-Voyage!

Old June 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Each port will be an opportunity to experience it. 8)

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old July 2nd, 2006, 08:25 AM
Passenger

Default Away we Go

It will be a long time for my sail away. 8) 8)
Old July 2nd, 2006, 05:52 PM
Admiral

fin6645,

It will be a long time for my sail away.

That sounds like a pretty serious problem, but one that you can solve quite easily with a visit to your travel agent....

Norm.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 04:51 PM
Passenger

Thanks Norm,

This Morning I booked Alaska Cruisetour Anchorage one night, Denali tow nights, Copper River two nights, then on the Coral Princess for 7 days. So I did go to my travel agent, it was planned. June 6,2007 and counting . Second time on The Coral Priness, first to Alaska. So again all you pros tell me all the advise or tips that you know. Thanks again for the above people and all of thier advise,plus Mike and the wonderful picture. Hi Mike I'm in D612 so i should be ok. Tell me everything I should know.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Admiral

fin6645,

This Morning I booked Alaska Cruisetour Anchorage one night, Denali tow nights, Copper River two nights, then on the Coral Princess for 7 days. So I did go to my travel agent, it was planned. June 6,2007 and counting . Second time on The Coral Priness, first to Alaska. So again all you pros tell me all the advise or tips that you know. Thanks again for the above people and all of thier advise,plus Mike and the wonderful picture. Hi Mike I'm in D612 so i should be ok. Tell me everything I should know.

You booked a great itinerary, so welcome to the world of cruising!

You might want to take a look at the packing list that I posted in the "Packing Made Simple" thread on the "Cruise Dress/Packing" board as a starting point for formulating your own packing list. You should reduce the formalwear from three sets to just two and eliminate the items for "informal" evenings since Princess does not have them. Also, add a couple more sweaters or sweatshirts and a winter jacket, hat, and gloves. I guarantte that you will want the winter jacket, hat, and gloves when you are around glaciers.

As far as shore excursions in your ports of call:

>> 1. In Skagway, I highly recommend two shore excursions -- the tour of the town that includes the play called "The Days of '98 Feview Starring Soapy Smith" at the Eagles' hall and the ride to Summit Lake on the White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR). Thee's usually enough time to grab lunch at the buffet or the grill aboard ship between these excursions if you do both.

>> 2. In Juneau, you can walk to many o fthe attractions on your own. The state capital building offers free tours, and both St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church and the Catholic cathedral -- both located about a block from the state capital building, have some very interestin art. If it's a clear day, Mt. Roberts -- accessible via the tramway right next to the pier -- offers spectacular views. Many of the shops carry souvenirs that reflect the city's Russian roots, incluidng the Russian nesting dolls. The salmon bake, accessible via an excursion, and Mendenhall Glacier also draw positive reviews if they are of interest, but you will have seen more impressive glaciers in College Fjord and in Glacier Bay before you arrive in Juneau.

>> 3. In Ketchikan, I highly recommend the shore excursion to Saxman Village. There, you will encounter the fascinating culture of the Tlingit -- including a show of their dances and music and an area where carvers still work on totems. They also have an intersting collection of totems in the park, which your guide will explain.

Above all, don't miss the formal evenings aboard ship. Those are the nights when Princess really pulls out all the stops with the best menus in the dining rooms and other evenents, such as the Captain's "Welcome Aboard" cocktail party (complementary beverages!) and the Champagne Waterfall that are not to be missed.

Happy preparations for your voyage!

Norm.