Old June 8th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Passenger

Default Princess and Glacier Bay

Anyone back yet from a most recent Glacier Bay cruise on Princess???

Got my first cruise coming up on Princess - Glacier Bay cruise. I was curious how the Captain handled going thru Glacier Bay. i have a balcony on the starboard side and of course, my BF would prefer to stay on the balcony. I think it would be better to see from balcony and from the sun deck as well. Can anyone tell me how this day might be handled...will we miss narration for the day if we stay in our baclony for the way in, and go up top on the outer decks on the way out of the bay???
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Admiral

You will have no glacier views from the starboard side for 50++ miles on the sailing into Glacier Bay. This is also the bulk of the commentary. I suggest you might want to consider getting out on a front deck or camp out at front inside viewing, ON THE WAY IN. On the way out, the ship most always just sails out, no "stops" or any extended viewing. Commentary is heard around the ship and in your room usually via the TV.
Old June 8th, 2006, 01:23 PM
Admiral

This is also true of College Fjords of which most all the glacier views are on the port side. Again, consider getting out on deck, dressed appropriately.
Old July 16th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Passenger

I'm a little confused becuase I read in many posts that if traveling from South to North on your cruise, the starboard side is the best side to be on. And vice versa for North to South. We are traveling from Vancouver to Whittier and have a cabin on the starboard side. Is the port side better to be on then for the south to north cruise? Or is is just better in college fjord and glacier bay? Thanks for your info!
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Passenger

I am the original poster of the message. I just got back this week from my cruise (first) and we had a balcony cabin on the starboard side, northbound out of Vancouver. By the end of the trip, both my BF and I had said if we did this again, we would book a Port side balcony cabin. That is for the following reasons:

1. There is no inside passage "sceanic cruising" like we thought there was...we arrive in port at dawn.

2. The first day at sea on a northbound Alaska cruise, there is no seeing anything except sea...well perhaps a distant shore miles away. Becasue of this, we therefore questioned our desire to cruise out of Vancouver v/s Seatlle.

3. We would have prefered to enjoy the sunsets off the port side balcony (with a glass of wine;), vs the early morning hours off the starboard side.

4. We really wanted to stay on our balcony for the narration during Glacier Bay day and College Fjord, but the glaciers were really all on the PORT side.

So, did i answer your question? The views are off the port side!
Old July 16th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Passenger

"4. We really wanted to stay on our balcony for the narration during Glacier Bay day and College Fjord, but the glaciers were really all on the PORT side. "

In addition to this, I wanted to say, that...on Glacier Bay day, we moved to the top of the ship for viewing and to hear narration that was in accord to what we were seeing. (We had really wanted to stay on our comfortable balcony.)

On College Fjord day, the naturalist told us starboard balcony people to stay on our balcony, because the ship would turn and let us starboard people see exactly what the port side was seeing! So we stayed on our balcony during the entire College Fjord day. Wellllllllll, as the ship turned alright, but the naturalist never once botherer to address what us starboard side people were seeing (because she already went over it with the posrt side people)). Therefore we had no idea what we were looking at (even tho the naturalist went over the stuff earlier)
Old July 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

We just got back from the Southbound Sapphire Princess yesturday 7/15.

We had a mini-suite on the Starboard side.

Both College and Glacier the naration is geared toward going in. Maybe its a sexist thing (College)in that the all girls schools are on the port side going in, and they are still very impressive. On the starboard side is where all the all boys schools are and they did discuss the them, however they are all but gone now because they are on the sun exposed side and have melted away.

We were out on deck 15 on the port side or on the bow bridge viewing wings, while we cruised in. It was great. Many had blankets and lounge chairs on the upper decks. The speakers worked well on all decks and on the tv channels in the room. Going out of Glacier they spin the ship so that everyone can see. Then when we moved down to the cabin. Naration continued as we headed out and then they stoped in John Hopkins inlet. We got the naration this time. They then rotated the ship.

Regardless of the side of the ship both area are wonderful. Bring warm winter jackets. Even when the sun is out the wind chill is very cold. We had sunny days and even got sunburns/tans on our balcony while headed out.

We tried for a port side Mini, but were too late to get two together in the area of the ship we wanted. We booked in Mid October. The sooner you book the better, even if you need to make a change later for some reason.

We were not disapointed at all... The trip was great! The five days on land were great. Were talking about doing it again an may use one of the future booking deposits we got on the ship to make a reservation for next year perhaps in late May this time.
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. I think we will change our room to the Port side if we can!!
Old July 17th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Lisee,

Thanks for the info. I think we will change our room to the Port side if we can!!

I would not worry too much about it. Your cabin meets the essential requirement -- it is on the ship rather than on the pier.

Seriously, there are plenty of public lounges and open decks where you can watch the scenery during the few hours that the ship is in places like Glacier Bay and College Fjord. You do not need a cabin with a balcony on the correct side of the ship to see the scenery in these places.

Norm.
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:45 PM
Admiral

For clarification, DETERMINE- are you ONLY going to want to glacier view from your cabin. If you are going to Glacier Bay and/or College fjords, you need a port side cabin. Hubbard and Sawyer's are overall best from the front. If you are happy with the "ship turns" fraction viewing time, then it doesn't matter. But most glacier viewing is spectacular and worth the extra effort for extended viewing time which is from the front.
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:12 AM
Passenger

Well we reloated to a Port side cabin! We will most likely want to hang out on our deck int he morning and enjoy the cruise in, so I am very thankful to everyone for all the information. Also, we love sunsets so I think we made the right decision from the sounds of it! I'm getting really excited!!!
Old June 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Beginner

Default Balcony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
For clarification, DETERMINE- are you ONLY going to want to glacier view from your cabin. If you are going to Glacier Bay and/or College fjords, you need a port side cabin. Hubbard and Sawyer's are overall best from the front. If you are happy with the "ship turns" fraction viewing time, then it doesn't matter. But most glacier viewing is spectacular and worth the extra effort for extended viewing time which is from the front.
You suggest a port side cabin for Glacier Bay and College fjords. Would this be true for both Northbound and Southbound itineraries?
Thanks.
Grand Princess (2003, 2002, 1998)
Celebrity Zenith (2000)
Celebrity Mercury (1998)
Carnival Triumph (1999)
NCL Norway (1999, 1995)
Norwegian Dream (1998, 1997)
Norwegian Wind (1997)
Costa Victoria (1996)
Carnival Carnivale
NCL Seaward (1991)
Old June 5th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Admiral

Yes, you need port, no matter what the direction of your sailing. IF you only want glacier viewing from your cabin.