Old October 31st, 2004, 03:45 PM
patticake

Default sting ray city with captain marvin, help me.

Have not been on the message board in awhile. i have been busily making arrangement for the excursions. we are traveling on the victory july 17 ,2005 five adults and four children. i feel captain marvin gets high ratings. i have asked lots of questions and we want a smaller boat and less capacity than the ones involved with the ships .excursions.

please give me feedback if you have used captain marvin to sting ray city. do you feel that his employees took time to help with all the aspects of the snorkeling at the three locations they stop at. we are looking at the half day tour which they say is about two and one half hours. what were the condition of the boats his business uses. how about the bathroom facility on board. i know boat bathrooms are small and not really luxurious but are they sufficient as we have four children with us. i know he uses smaller boats and are they crowded? hoping to hear from someone or many of you maybe. i am getting ready to secure a reservation for this activity. ps. did anyone deal with a cancellation because of weather when you got there. how did that ?thanks patticake
Old October 31st, 2004, 05:49 PM
9 weeks and counting

Default Re: sting ray city with captain marvin, help me.

I have gone with Captain Marvins two times now to Stingray city. The first time was when we spent a week on Cayman. I was referred to CM through a friend who raved about them. THEY ARE GREAT!!! I must agree. The second time was last Jan, when silly me, I thought the local time was different, and got my group to the CM office, when they informed me that our tour had left an hour ago. BUT, they saved us a spot on the next excursion in the next hour. They were great. The experience was personal, the bathrooms on board were about as good as a boat bathroom can be. They knew their stuff. They have been doing this for a long time, and it showed. It was a great experience. We had a dvd made of our adventure last year to show everyone at home. Four of us on board split the cost of one dvd, and made copies when we got home.
Hope you book with them, You will not regret it!!!!!
Old October 31st, 2004, 06:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Captain Marvins is great.

My sister, her 13 year old twins and I sailed with him last June.

The money we saved by not booking through the ship was spent the professionally recorded DVD of our visit to Sting Ray City. The $65 for the DVD was worth every penny. It has been the twins favorite souvenir. They love showing their friends that "Yes, I really did kiss a sting ray".
Old November 1st, 2004, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Captain Marvin's tours are great. The crew is very good, they are friendly, helpful and informative. We had a great dive master who was very patient with the first-time snorkelers, help ease any fears they might have had. We really like the smaller boats.
Book it, you will be very pleased.
Old November 1st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Patticake,
We will be along with you on the 17th! Our 10 yr old son will be with us and 3 other family members who will be cruising for the first time. Maybe we will run into you on board!
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: sting ray city with captain marvin, help me.

Highly recommend Captain Marvin's. We've used him 3 times (twice Captain Marvin himself captained our boat). The boats are not huge, but I can assure you that you will have much more room to move around than on the ship's excursion.

They will provide as much personal service that you need. One nice touch was that each time we got back on the boat, Captain Marvin hosed us off to get the salt water off our skin.

The bathrooms, while not spacious, is clean and serviceable.

I would definitely suggest Captain Marvin's especially if you have kids with you.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:17 AM
Patticake

it makes it so much more exciting when you actually hear from someone who is going on the same cruise. what deck are you on? i cannot remember what deck we are on as my info is in a folder away from the computer. i knew all the info by heart for weeks as i was so involved in getting this setup, but i have given myself a rest and have forgotten some of the details. i know we wanted a lower deck and there were no cabins left that we needed so we went to the next one up. i know we are in the middle with one balcony cabin , two other inside cabins, one sleeping three, and the other sleeping four. we may be on the verandah deck. hope to hear back from you. patticake
Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

We originally booked a guarantee but our Carnival rep called and we got the upgrade and took an assigned cabin on the Verandah deck. I usually prefer the lower decks also, due to the movement, but we are still mid ship so we will see how it works out. We also have a balcony. This will be a first cruise for my brother in law and his family so we wanted to make sure he would want to come again so we got the balcony rooms. He has never flown either so this will be a real adventure for him.
Where are you from?
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

We had a mini suite on the Verandah Deck on the Fantasy and felt minimal movement. There were a few times it was a little rocky .. but then again that might have been the after affects of the rum runners we got on Paradise Island in Nassau!
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM
patticake

MJ,i still have not looked at my folder yet. now thatyou have mentioned the verandah deck, i do believe we are on that deck. i am a little concerned now, because i was just reading a cruisers review of the victory and she said the balcony cabins are not built as well for privacy noise issues between cabins. she said she could hear the tv in the next cabin.

we are from erie, pa. we live about four miles from great lake erie. go there about two to three times a week to walk and watch the waves. it really is like being on the ocean. lake erie is very rough as it is the shallowest of the great lakes. we are about 32 miles across the lake from canada. niagara falls is only about one and one half hours by car along the lake to buffalo.

one of our daughters and her husband and three kids(who aregoing on cruise with us) live an hour south west in cleveland, ohio. we are flying out of cleveland to miami for the cruise. they also only live about two miles from the lake. i may be telling you all of this and you may be very familiar with this part of the country depending where you live. our other daughter and her daughter live here in erie and they are also going on the cruise.

we are all getting very excited as the time draws closer. now where do you live?

we are flying into miami on saturday and staying over til sunday to give us a littlemore time to be relaxed and give everyone a look at a bit of miami. i need to decide where we are going to stay that night. have you booked any excursions? i do believe we are going to book the sting ray excursion with captain marvin if there are openings. in jamaica we are going to just get cabs at the pier and go to the dunns river falls on our own. in cozumel we are also going to get cabs and spend the day at chaukanaab national park and swim and snorkel on our own. i never know if i spelled that park correct or not. i havedone quite a bit of research on everything. as you can tell i am the family planner and organizer for these trips. however, it makes me nervous worrying about all the aspects of the whole week. we are reserved to eat early dinner, 6:15pm. how about you? keep in touch and i will be anxious to hear from you. it sounds like you may be about the same age as our daughters or maybe one of them. talk soon. patticake
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:06 PM
bbetsy

I returned today from the Carnival Conquest. We used Captain Marvin's to visit Stingray City. We had the pleasure of Captain Marvin himself taking us on our trip. We had a group of 10 and rented our own boat for $400.00. It was well worth the time and money. He had an underwater photographer and a deck hand who helped us with our equipment.
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Patticake,
We are just about next door neighbors. We are from Annapolis Md. I wouldn't worry too much about the reviews. It seems like the cruises that went up north just aren't the same as the others. I have heard a lot of good thing about the ship. One of the women I work with was on this ship in Sept and went up north. She said the ship was fine but she didn't like the cruise as well as the ones that go to the caribbean. She said it was a much older crowd.
I am really looking foward to having a balcony. I haven't heard about them being any noisier. That was a first. We will be traveling with our 10 yr old son. He is looking foward to the balcony also. We went on the Paradise in August. He had a great time.
We are flying in the same day as the cruise. Since it is summertime I am not too worried about delays. We will be going in Jan on a 4 day cruise on the Inspiration and that one we are flying into Tampa a day early. Never know about snow that time of year.
It sounds like you have done much research. In Jamaica I have also heard about Peat Taylor tours. I have always booked through the cruise lines as I am afraid of something going wrong and not making it back to the ship. In January however we are in Cozumel all day so I will do something on our own on that one.
Good luck with your research!